Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Oh that dog hammock pic is awesome!

I would love to do that with my 85# boxer, but I don't know if I could get him in it. If I did, he may never come back out (his favorite hobby is sleeping).

I would be concerned about toenails poking holes in the fabric (his, not mine).

Good thread!

Lucky comes on long day hikes with me just about every weekend. He loves kickin' butt outside, getting muddy, and chasing after local wildlife. I just hope he can settle down at night and rest...

JGON

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    He loves kickin' butt outside, getting muddy, and chasing after local wildlife. I just hope he can settle down at night and rest...
    AS previously stated; make sure your dog has had obedience training and will follow your commands when out hiking and camping. I know of people that have lost dog,s in the woods due to chasing deer or turkeys and never found the dog. (It's also illegal in PA for a dog to chase deer<can be shot on site for doing so>so be careful) Know your dog well before taking it out in wilderness area.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I have a yorkie poo that thinks he is a Chocolate lab. Jumps into water no matter what the temp, and sleeps in my hammock with me (after he dries).

He also listens well, and comes to me the first time I call him.

I still wouldn't let him run free at night. Definitely keep my eyes on him when he's doing his midnight pee break.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I trained Rika (60lbs) to sleep on her pad (Ruff Wear Highlands; packs small and very light) directly underneath me while hanging at home in the living room, so when it comes time to bed down in the woods, she knows the drill. I use a corkscrew stake in the ground under the foot of my hammock and tie her in with a 6' bungee leash we use just for hiking. She rarely gets up in the middle of the night (she's usually zonked out from hiking), but just this past Saturday she did and, of course...she got wrapped up in one of the tarp guylines. Talk about a scary way to wake up in the backcountry!!

Here is her daytime setup, with the Highlands bed and a 15 foot cable lead that I swap out for the bungee leash at bedtime.

And +1 on keeping him/her on a leash at all times--especially if not thoroughly trained--for the dog's safety and for that of others enjoying the outdoors.

Oh, and her favorite outdoor pasttime is taking out my hiking poles when in porch mode!
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12