Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

a wee trip report--Savage Gulf

For those who might be interested in the Savage Gulf here's a rough out on my 3ish day experience.
    There are two main entry points..Savage Gulf Ranger Station (the one I chose) and Stone Door Ranger Station.
    At Savage Gulf RS the ranger lives in a house close by---safe parking!
    Whether you start at Savage or Stone Door there are multi-day loop possibilities depending on how far you want to go/stay out.
    I made a loop combing several trails...Savage Day Loop+North Rim+Connector+Historic Stage Road+South Rim+Savage Day Loop. Counting blue blazes to overlooks my total was 22 miles.
    I left the trailhead at 3:45pm and did the 8.2 to Hobbs Cabin...beyond the cabin are 8 tent sites. Made it there 30 minutes before dark.
    The rangers stress NO hiking after dark---someone has probably fallen off one of the bluffs but I think you'd have to try real hard.
    Also, the rangers know the back/easy/quick way into the campsites and they check on you to see if you have arrived...well at least according to some tenters I met the morning of the second day who said the rangers did come by.
    Note, Savage Gulf is quota system for backpackers. Each ranger station has a list of all campsite, you sign off for a tent site, when they are full you are denied entrance.
    I'd worked the bee hives, drove 5 hours, then 8 miles in 3.3 hours=10 hours of solid sleep in the Warbonnet
    Left the Hobbs Cabin area to tackle the 'hardest section' in the Savage Gulf...the Connector Trail. Just think 1.5 miles of rock garden in a 3.1 mile stretch. The I used the Stage Road (2.5 miles uphill over cobble cobble cobble), on the Nat. Hist. Register because slave labor was used to construct the road from Chattanooga to McMinnville.
    I made it to my assigned campsite 7ish miles by noon and decided to move on another 6 miles to Savage Falls Campsite(s).....I officially violated the rules but what was I going to do the rest of the day. Made it there by 4pm and took a nice nap, reflected on the Stage Road which was really nice near the end with plentiful water features; in fact the entire Gulf that I saw was full of water falls, creeks, suspensions bridges, and gigantic sinks where 3 streams dissapear underground.
    Stage Road took me to the North Rim Trail. Note that the South Riim and North Rim trails are boulevards whereas the Connector Trail is like the northern 140 miles of Penn. on the AT.
    Hobbs Campsite(s) and Savage Falls Campsite(s) are easily hammockable though no ranger ever found me to question the use---but nothing official in the rules against.
    My third day/last morning put me at Savage Falls early in the morning.....it is like a mini Fall Creek Falls complete with a sizeable fall and a beautiful pool to dip/swim/relax in.
    The loop I did would be perfect for beginning backpackers...enough easy to stretch the legs, enough hard (Connector Trail) to make you feel like you earned your Savage Gulf pin.
    A huge bonus in this area is that there is little need to carry much water very far--at least this time of year.
    New gear on this trip:
    The downy goodness was provided by hammockgear.com Their summer TQ and 3 season UQ....both immaculate in construction. Late at night I did add a WM Flash parka for more warmth on top but I'm a cold sleeper.
    Also the new 'Stealth-Cat' by OES---one word REMARKABLE. 6.4 ounces and good coverage for a Warbonnet Blackbird. The stealthy green color is a perfect match for spring foliage.
    On the way home I felt like monkeying around so I stopped at the Rhea Country Criminal Courthouse in Dayton,TN......poor monkey died 4 days after the trail as did William Jennings Bryant
    Almost forgot....ran out of Aqua-Mira but the BackCountryBoiler came to the rescue boiling water

nice trip report. Hamhocker and I did a 3 day trip there over Easter weekend. Great place to go for a quick weekend trip. The connector from Hobbs Cabin down to the intersection of other trails is a pain.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Enjoyed the report. Sounds like an excellent place to hike and hang.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That sound like a great trip. I really enjoyed the report. Good thing for the ability to boil water too.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Forgot about the vid
    8ish min's, the Savage Gulf, hammocking, backcountryboiler, new tarp:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZLnxDh6mg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific video MM....and Hey back atcha. Loved the me story....funny. Glad I walked out)))))))
    Knotty coil and BW look mighty fine.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Enjoyed the video. That cuben tarp did look good!

Great stuff MM, enjoyed both the read and vid!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    See..... I knew you had musical talent in there somewhere. A babbling brook and the song of the Ocarina created a lovely enchanted setting. Bravo MedicinMan.

And Oh, Cool Hat!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Thanks guys/gal
    With so many places to go its rare I'd go back anywhere but Savage is a cool place-already scheming a fall return.
    ChickenWing--got fresh bottles of AquaMira today
    Shug-glad you were humored!
    Cakes-no natural ability with the notes, just a dreamer.
    Ewker-did you put in at the Stone Door? If so did you like that side of the park?
    The StealthCat---if the McCat Deluxe with doors in Spinn is the King-o-tarps then Brian's latest is the little princess.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast