Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Ridgeline

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I cut in the middle of the ridgeline, inside the hammock.
    Did you maintain the original length of the ridgeline? How? You said you use a biner to re-attach the ridgline, what kind of knots to you use to attach the ridgeline to the biner. Does the hammock lay the same in top loader mode? Any issues with the entry slit?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes. Don't remove it completely, though, just cut it and tie the loose ends to a small rated biner or a screwlink. That way, you can take down or use the ridgeline at will.
    AngrySparrow,
    Did you get that screwlink at Lowes or Home Depot, or just at a small local Hardware store? About what size has worked for you?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    Did you maintain the original length of the ridgeline?
    Yes

How?
    The length of the screwlink I use is long enough that it makes up for the length of cord that was used for the knots.

You said you use a biner to re-attach the ridgline, what kind of knots to you use to attach the ridgeline to the biner.
    Bowline Knots

Does the hammock lay the same in top loader mode?
    It has a little less sag without the ridgeline, but that can be adjusted easily with the other suspension components. I only use it with the ridgeline down for lounging/camp chair use, and put the ridgeline back on and climb inside to sleep.

Any issues with the entry slit?
    Not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Did you get that screwlink at Lowes or Home Depot, or just at a small local Hardware store? About what size has worked for you?
    I think I got it at a local hardware store (it's been quite a while since I bought it, hard to say). It's probably the same size as these.
    Last edited by angrysparrow; 02-29-2008 at 12:35.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Moved from "RL snapped thread"

There is a new Harbor Freight about 4 miles from my house. I got a couple of those screw links AngrySparrow uses. The smallest they had has a 650 lb working load. I didn't weigh it, maybe about an ounce. I cut my Ridge line, and installed the device. I measured the RL before and after, I ended up within about 1/4" of the original length, so it should have about the same sag. I came up a little short of RL after I tied bowline in the RL, even after the extra length of the screw links, so I had to add a couple of inches of extra line to the cut RL.

I'll play around with it tomorrow, and see if my knots will hold ( I used a double sheet bend to connect the thicker extra line to the original HH RL, and bowlines to attach line to screw link) , and see what the chair is like with the RL disconnected. Although, I have always had a great chair just by hanging the HH loose until bed time. We will see if this is better.

But the main reason for doing this is to see if my PeaPod will work with the HH Explorer UL once I get the net out of the way.

Boy that RL is thin. I'm surprised they don't snap all the time. I wonder what it is made of? It is very thin and black. I don't think it is any thicker than the orange 250 lb Spectra that Ed sells for tarp use. ( or maybe not even as thick)
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-01-2008 at 09:15. Reason: attempt to make post semi-intelligible

Images

So far so-so

Well, I have been playing around with the new RL disconnect. I'm not sure it will be worth the effort for me. But remember, I did not really have any complaints about the HH as chair. If I just loosened it about 6", the RL then did not cause any discomfort for me, it actually provided a fair back support. Now, with the RL disconnected, the chair comfort is about the same. But there is of course zero discomfort caused by the RL digging into my neck or back. But, like I said, I didn't consider that a big problem anyway, not with a loose hang. And getting rid of the ridge line being into your back is probably the number one reason to do this modification. At least for most folks.

It is superior when you kick back to lounge. With the RL in place, my laying platform is a bit more narrow than it is when the Ridgeline removed. So that might be worthwhile for some folks.

About where I'm afraid it's going to fall short is simply using it as a top loading hammock. But first I need some advice. Do I need to turn the hammock upside down so that the net is underneath me? To avoid damaging the net? Even with the hammock turned upside down, it seems to me like there is a fair amount of stress on the net. Though nothing has shown any signs of giving way yet. I have not yet attempted to lay straight down on the net, because it seems to me that the even more stress on the net. But maybe not. So I'm seeking advice from other people that have done this. Net underneath the hammock, or is it okay to lie on top of the net with the hammock oriented in the normal fashion?

But when I turn the hammock upside down, with the net underneath the hammock, I lose all characteristics of the feel of the Hennessy hammock. It becomes a very narrow hammock, with absolutely no diagonal positioning available. I can get my knees pretty comfortable by laying with both of my heels outside of the edge of the hammock. I have experimented with different amounts of sag, but without a lot of success so far. Maybe I need to do the "duel ridgeline approach", adding a separate structural ridgeline outside of the netting with a preset length that is providing exactly the original sag of the Hennessy hammock. But I'm not sure that would make much difference. If I get in the hammock in the normal fashion, but without the ridgeline attached, the feel and positioning of the hammock feels pretty close to normal. Except of course for the Net sagging down in my face.

Now I can tell it's going to work great with my Peapod. I'm fixing to go try that now. But I don't know if I can get an adequate comfort level for a long night laying in this narrow hammock. For one thing, I'm a little paranoid that I might manage to slip out of that thing during my sleep. Again, great for lounging in the daytime, but I don't know about sleeping all night this way.

Since it lays in a normal fashion when I get in from the bottom but without the ridgeline attached, I suspect it might lay pretty normal if I got in on top of the net. But again I haven't tried this yet for fear of damaging the net. So anybody with any experience with this situation please fill me in. If it's safe to lie on top of the net then I'll go give that a try.

Images
    Yep, just as I suspected. This more narrow hammock works fantastically with the Peapod. I don't really know why the Hennessy Hammock becomes a skinny hammock once you turn it upside down, but it does. So that means I have very little or no hammock edge coming up above the level of my body (which is not exactly skinny in certain areas, if you know what I mean).

Not being down in a bathtub, as I more or less am (depending on the amount of sag) with my Speer hammock, allows the top layer of the Peapod to lie down directly on my body in most areas, and much closer to my body in all areas. In addition, for what ever bizarre reason, I had much more luck on the very first adjustment regarding Peapod sag and potential air gap underneath versus loft compression. In other words, I felt underneath and it was essentially no air gap, then I felt around from the outside and to my amazement I appeared to have virtually full loft underneath my back and behind. I felt from the top side, spots where the Peapod was lying directly on top of me in contact with my upper body, and pressed down. It was apparent I had, at least in some areas, over 3 inches of loft over me. It didn't take but a minute -- with 60° weather outside -- to I had to come out of that thing. Before I burst into flame. I'm sure it looks silly enough to my neighbors when they look at their window and see me levitating in a sleeping bag. It would surely push them beyond the brink if I burst into flames from spontaneous combustion, and they would have to call the authorities. So I came on in the house to file this report and to see if there was yet any advice here about lying on top of the Hennessy hammock net -- yes or no?

I'll also post this last part over the Peapod review.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-01-2008 at 13:22.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I've always just turned the net over on the bottom side, and it hasn't caused any discernable problems for me. I haven't tried laying directly on the netting, but I don't see how it would hurt anything, as long as you didn't rip it somehow (sharp object in pocket, etc).
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12