Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks BillyBob!
    I do feel bad and think its really uncool about the way that it has caused an inconvenience on others. Bummed about that.
    I did speak with a few building contractors at work and they said drilling into the 2x4's would be fine and shouldn't be a problem hanging at ALL. In fact, have talked with others who have done the same thing with fine results. It was also kinda a bummer that the pipe was wedged in between 2 wood studs. You are right BillyBob .... Thanks for understanding bro.

todd
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Earplug, we have all done things that were avoidable. You just have the nerve to tell us. Like the story, maybe everyone can learn a little and help others from making the same mistake.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks for the humor earplug. I appreciate your honesty to help others in their own future adventures. Something about learning from others mistakes? FWIW - I live in an apartment, have been hanging from studs in my living room for over a year (the body loves it) and I am the Property Mgr.
    I sincerely hope you are on the ground floor. Cheers to ya!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That was a good read......
    Live and learn. Done the same kind of thing myself.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    Thanks BillyBob!
    I do feel bad and think its really uncool about the way that it has caused an inconvenience on others. Bummed about that.
    I did speak with a few building contractors at work and they said drilling into the 2x4's would be fine and shouldn't be a problem hanging at ALL. In fact, have talked with others who have done the same thing with fine results. It was also kinda a bummer that the pipe was wedged in between 2 wood studs. You are right BillyBob .... Thanks for understanding bro.

todd
    No problemo, Todd! I just generally keep most of my most stupid acts to myself, so you guys maybe(hopefully) will think a bit more of me than I actually deserve. That's my plan any way, not sure it is working. Of course, there was my first ever hang where I ended up in my HH netting with my HHSS pad and opening ABOVE me as I was starting to panic trying to get my shivering self out of the hammock. Real Smooth, and with an audience that thought I was a bear stomping towards their tent!

There was that time, as a much younger man in a furnished rental trailer, where I decided to defrost my refrigerator. Wasn't going fast enough so I decided to help it along by chipping the ice with a screwdriver. Can you guess what happened? It was not pretty. But the really spectacular error I will keep to myself, thank you just the same!

Well. I redeemed myself last evening. I have decided to hang my hammock from the powerlines that are behind my house. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. But, I truly believe that this will make up for the water main incident. Hey, you just have to use your brains. I almost decided to swing the hammock between two trees. But--- that would be totally stupid. I might get bird droppings or such on my lovely hammock. The power lines are a much better idea. All of this hammock stuff just sends off energy for all of us. It's electrifying.
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    I would use the power lines on one end, and the water main on the other (right above the porcupine, and beneath the old rotting branch from the 200 year old oak). Ah yesssss... the ideal set up.
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

I will say one thing in my defense. Every contractor I've talked to at work says that is ludicrous that they put a 2" water main in the middle of the wall right next to the drywall. Anyone could drill into that. I kinda agree. water mains should be up against a corner and protected from things like this.
    my quote.

a two inch pipe will have a good amount of metal for it's walls.(assuming it was a metal pipe, not plastic) btw the metal walls are considered enough protection by it's self. you probably got the warning signals ( in the form of metal chips)as you slowly/quickly drilled, blissfully away. not reading the signs is very expencive. but i have done dumber stuff- about two years ago i was outside digging away for a sprinkler addition for my yard on a lovely sunday afternoon. digging down about 18-24" i struck and cut thru a natural gas line serviceing my home.(pollysomething) after i realized what had happened i called 911 and then warned my neirbors. a fire engine arrived after about 4minutes and stood by as the gas company truck took about 45 minutes to get here. all the time gas rushing out at what sounded like it was on par with a j79 jet engine, in after burner!! i was very stressed out and could only think of the bills i would see in the next few days, in my mail box and the possibility of a giant fire eruping any moment. the fire crew was very helpful as they talked me down from my self imposed stress test. the gas company repaired the line , and wared me that i could be fined,since i haden't call befor i dug. i signed the repair order(oh yeah the paper work) the gas co. offered to relight the pilots in my home- i figured what the heck- go ahead- i'm going to get a big bill, might as well get a little something for my money. they relit the water heater, but when they got to the furnace, they wouldn't, since it had signs that it wasn't working right- in fact they red tagged it AND disconnected the gas to it(late fall too boot!)new furnance came in about 8k$. well... it took me about a 6weeks to muster up my courage to resume the sprinkler project. i called and the area was marked out. at this point i already knew that a gas line was there. had to dig close to that freaking gas line for another 5 foot- shouldn'tbe a problem since i now know where it was, and i'm skilled enough to dig without damaging it again........and after about 15minutes of digging............... you guessed it!!! cut it again....the same fire crew showed up as well as the gas company guys!! their timing was just about the same as before. this time i was resigned to the ordeal ahead. now that we knew each other by first name, things went much smoother- yeah after that i did complete things and the bills were reasonable at about 300$ per episode. point is you'll get over this easyer than you might think.
    Last edited by the_gr8t_waldo; 05-06-2011 at 11:27.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Great story and my advice: "Go with the flow"

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast