DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Busy Month for DIY or My First Hammock Rig

After a lot of research on this forum, I realized the hammock camping isn't as heavy or expensive as I had originally thought. I finally got started on it last month. My goals were to make this weigh less than my current tenting rig, and to do it as inexpensively as possible. Here's what I made. (Click the pictures for a larger version)

Gathered end hammock following Knotty's directions, whoopie slings, adjustable ridgeline, ridgeline organizer, Papa Smurf style bug sock, 10x7 tarp, snake skins for the tarp, and a bishop bag with a pocket for the suspension:

Here's the tarp deployed as an asym diamond. It's two $9.88 5x7 PU coated nylon tarps from Walmart. I attached them together with a flat felled seam, seam sealed it, and had a 10x7 tarp finished in about a half an hour. The tarp, in snake skins, with a continuous 1.75mm zing it ridge line is 17.5 oz. Not ultralight by any means, but it was less than $25.

Finally, here is my 2 layer (with a nestable 3rd layer) 2/3 IX underquilt:

Everything above weighs 44.9 oz, and cost less than $120, so I think that I successfully achieved both of my goals. It's very cool to know that I made it all. I'll be using my sleeping bag as a top quilt, but I do have a bunch of down, ripstop, and noseeum, so when I work up the nerve to work with the down, I'll make a top quilt.

My first hang will be this weekend, and I'm very excited!

Thanks to everyone that inspired me or provided plans. Questions, comments, concerns?

-S

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Looks like you've been busy. You've got a nice setup there for the price. And a 10x7 tarp finished in about a half an hour has to be some type of a record.

I hope you enjoy your hang this weekend. If you are like the rest of us you will come home with lots of ideas for making your stuff better!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    congratulations on the DIY projects. Looks like you will be very well geared up for your outing. Have a great trip!
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Success! My first hang was great. My thermometer doesn't have a max/min function, so the lowest temp that I saw was 42ºF, but it may have gone lower. I didn't get to sew the tabs on my third layer of my UQ, so I just set it on top of the other two layers. I think it just bunched up under me throughout the night and didn't do much. My body stayed nice and warm though. The only issue was that I had trouble positioning the foam pad under my feet, and a couple times throughout the night, it moved, or I moved and my feet got cold until I repositioned it. I also ripped my tulle bug sock, so I think that tulle may be too delicate for me. I'm probably going to make dejoha's HUG out of noseeum, to end up with a more durable net, without much of a weight penalty.

Long story short, I'm very happy with all the stuff that I made, and I slept much better than I ever had on the ground the past couple years. I think you guys have another convert!

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

Just a heads up

Make sure you sew webbing tie outs on your tarp. I have the same tarp and used it without them and in a heavy wind one of the grommets pulled out.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    Make sure you sew webbing tie outs on your tarp. I have the same tarp and used it without them and in a heavy wind one of the grommets pulled out.
    Definitely! It was fairly easy to pull the grommets out of the hems that I cut off. I have all the stuff I need to add proper tie outs, I just didn't have time before this weekend.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    So glad your DIY proved to be a success. There's just so much satisfaction in making your own gear.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts