Images

Post Bring back the Climashiled "Yeti"!

Hey there, I was posting on the "Yeti cord in the face" thread when I realized I was Hijacking. So, here is the hijack and the post I was responding to:

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    They are no longer adjustable. I don't think they have been since he started offering the down versions instead of the synthetic. I like my adjustable Yeti too! You could always make it adjustable. Just need some shockcord and a STRONG cord lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I did not know that! ( channeling Johnny Carson ) And here I am always telling folks to adjust their Yeti's tighter!

Of course, like you say, it should be a simple enough mod. Or, just using some cord find a way to stretch it/attache it further towards the end of the hammock on one end.

PS: I still think that Climashield Yeti is the absolute BOMB! A ~ 9.5 oz torso UQ(one layer of 2.5 oz. XP Climashield)- virtually impervious to dampness problems- that has been good for me- if mem serves- into the high 40s! My son used it for a week- into the 20s plus lots of wind and rain- with 2 added layers of what I think is 3.8 oz/sq.yd. Combat CS, for a total weight of ~ 17 oz. He was toasty the entire trip. ( total theoretical CLO= 7.9)

I have never really put this to the winter test. Isn't there a theoretical rating by some that says that a CLO of 4 ( like a 5 oz layer of XP clo 4.1) is warm to ~ 20F, at least for a top quilt/bag? If so, with one layer of 2.5 oz. XP, and a CLO of ~ 2( 2.5 oz x CLO .82/oz), I think Thru hiker used to rate that for ~ 40, similar to my own results so far. But if so, then adding my extra 3 layers of Climashield ( which I THINK is Combat 3.8 oz/sq.yd) with a CLO of only .78/oz) will get me a CLO of 2.96 per layer, times 3 for total CLO of 8.9 plus the starting single layer CLO=2, total CLO 10.9.

Just how warm would that be? If Thru Hiker is at all in the ball park rating a CLO of 2 ~ 40F and 4 at ~20F, what would be expected with a Clo of 10.9? I bet all of this "precise CLO" business is just theory, but still maybe good for ballpark guessing. Still, there is a huge dif between ~4 and ~ 11. I guess no wonder my son was toasty in the 20s with just 3 layers.

Sorry, I started rambling! Is this a Hijack? If so, I will move it or a mod can go ahead and do so. I guess I just am surprised no one is still making an adjustable layer CS "Yeti", plus they were adjustable!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2011 at 11:25.

Images
    I did find this post, which going by some testing which included men and women, came up with a CLO of 4 averaging warmth of only 25F instead of 20, and a CLO of 9( EDIT: error corrected CLO of 6 for zero per SINTEF test and 25-30 for CLO 4) needed for zero, FWIW:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...to_post=395813

Also notice a CLO of 2 appears to be good for mid 40s to 50, similar to my experience so far with 1 layer of 2.5 oz/sq.yd Climashield XP, Clo of ~ 2.

I also saw this:
    http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com/prodigy.htm

and this:
    http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=133
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2011 at 11:47.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I don't pretend to understand the math, but I know I took my synthetic Yeti down to -11°f. It was my first trip below zero and I was more than slightly nervous. No tarp, no pad under me, just a ccf folded under my legs and my clothing. Clothing was heavyweight base bottoms, very heavy wool socks, heavyweight base top, and a fleece pullover. I was still very much a noob.

Here's a picture from the next morning. I'm still snoring in the hammock.

Mine has 4 layers that are removable via a zipper on the foot/butt end of the quilt. I agree that these have a place in the gear room. There are simply times that synthetic trumps down and it's great to have the option. They weren't too bad on the scales either. If I remember correctly, mine is 17oz in the stuff sack. Stuff sacks weren't so good for these things, so I would say redesign those and it would be a great product to have available.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My favorite thing with the Yeti is no adjustments to mess with. I always get a great fit and seal.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I don't pretend to understand the math, but I know I took my synthetic Yeti down to -11°f. It was my first trip below zero and I was more than slightly nervous. No tarp, no pad under me, just a ccf folded under my legs and my clothing. Clothing was heavyweight base bottoms, very heavy wool socks, heavyweight base top, and a fleece pullover. I was still very much a noob.

Here's a picture from the next morning. I'm still snoring in the hammock.

Mine has 4 layers that are removable via a zipper on the foot/butt end of the quilt. I agree that these have a place in the gear room. There are simply times that synthetic trumps down and it's great to have the option. They weren't too bad on the scales either. If I remember correctly, mine is 17oz in the stuff sack. Stuff sacks weren't so good for these things, so I would say redesign those and it would be a great product to have available.
    Oh I well remember when you did that! you were the one that got me into WB torso quilts to start with, due to this test!

But here is the thing: Yours was the original, which was 4 layers of 2.5 oz. XP. For at .82 clo/oz x 2.5 x 4= 8.2 total CLO! And you wre apparently comfy enough at MINUS 11!

YOU DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A TARP IN A SNOWSTORM!

Your results may correlate well with the SINTEF chart I linked to, which showed zero possible with a CLO of 6.

But WBG was out of 2.5 oz XP when I got mine, except in the one permanent layer. So I got Combat for the other 3 layers, which had less CLO per oz. ( .78 vs .82 for XP) BUT was heavier per layer, at ~ 3.8 oz. vs 2.5. Hence the total CLO of ~11 for all 4 layers. I'm sure mine might have lost some insulation/loft over the years, but I still find even 2 or 3 layers VERY warm!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-04-2011 at 14:30.

• + New Posts