Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
My point is all that is true. But you have no documentation of that. You are getting a "pig in a poke" and it has a lot to do with luck. I've had good luck and bad luck with those fabrics. As opposed to being able to look at the specs of a commercial product and having confidence that i _know_ what I'm buying. But then part of the appeal for DIY is learning enough to be confident in taking that risk. I've been handling fabric for years and so I have a pretty good sense of how something will behave. But without documentation I still just taking an educated gamble.
I have one small bolt that I'm unsure of what it's going to do once sew and put under load. I guess the smart thing for me to do would be to make a hammock and hop in huh? I would say it would struggle to be 1.1 ripstop , it is certainly ripstop Nylon, but I've never seen any this thin, anywhere. I was thinking to use it to make a hammock body wider, but not really have to support a big load other than your feet and head maybe. Make a really wide comfy hammock without adding a huge amount of weight.

Why am I still thinking about it and not doing it is the real question huh? (Aside from the fact I live in a tornado ravaged area and have no power at home lol.)

To make this post more relevant to the thread, you can certainly save a lot of money doing DIY, BUT, take your time and pay attention to what you are getting and doing, buying cheap fabrics that will fail is going to be wasted money, buying a $20 thread injector that needs $100 in maintenance isn't going to help, etc etc. Do some research, take your time, enjoy the experience, and the pride and enjoyment from it will more than make up for time and money costs.