Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images

Is GG woodland AKA Neo's tarp totally unobtainable

I am looking for 3mx3m (9x9ft) lightweight multipurpose (many tie outs) square/rectangle tarp in camo but it actually is harder to find than I thought. Neo's tarp seems to be sold out and gone, I don't see any alternative. Other camo tarps are usually far too heavy for backpacking, it seems like I don't have many choices left, I would go with a shade of green, if it was a really discreet one but most tarps nowadays seem to be specialized (not many tie outs, special shapes and sizes not really suited to my needs, I'm in the military) and I can't even find that..
    So does anybody know if they are any 9x9 GG tarps still available anywhere (or equivalents)? Or should I give up on that...
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I read cannibals post on trail days this year and I believe he was talking about JRB making a tarp like neo's but to be honest I have no idea what neo's tarp is or whatever but I have no clue if its camo or anyting else. but its a free bump for your post the smart guys will chime in soon

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I'm not sure about the size, but on the Bushcraft USA forums, they have a store that sells them. http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    This site has had camo tarps for years.
    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I really liked their "diamond" tarp, I wish I still had it. But I sold it with my Claytor Jungle hammock.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    I have a neo tarp for use by my son, and this looks better to me... larger and lighter weight!

It is a bit more expensive and less flexible that the square shape, but you can't have everything. If you really want the neo I may be persuaded to trade.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    I thought Warbonnet was selling Camo tarps now as well. If I recall he will do custom work to add any extra tie downs you could want.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe w/2QZQ mod
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Campmor sells a 9x9 in green

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss with camo bug net
    Tarp
    Claytor diamond
    Insulation
    down, IX, fleece
    Suspension
    dutchclips
    Images
    I've been using the Claytor (mosquito hammock) diamond tarp for years now. Never had any issues with staying dry with it even in extreme downpours. Works well in winter also. Added a center pole to keep sides out. Added pockets at stake out corners to place pole ends in, and added velcro straps at side seams to keep pole in place. Needed reinforcing at side seams due to stress created by pole pushing up against tarp. Also need to keep very center of tarp off pole. Can cause seepage if in contact with.

Images
    Thank you all for your replies. I have been considering all ideas you have put forward. Before going on about the pros and cons of them I want to explain the use I will be having of my tarp so you can better picture the context.

I will be using this tarp is in souheast asia, mainly in a jungle environment. Although it is a a subtropical climate, from december to february, nights get cold, even sometimes close to freezing (in the hilly region where I go), with a dense wet fog in the morning which even forms raindrops for an hour or so in the wee hours. I used to go with a much used 3season synthetic sleeping bag http://www.military-sleeping-bags.com/defence4.html, a basic Thai hammock similar to a DD scout hammock and a tiny tarp (no pad, in the jungle I don't like them). But last year we had a cold windy period and even that didn't keep me warm, especially with all the wind (I'm a cold sleeper). To remedy this I recently bought a JRB 3 season quilt set. But since its down I worry about it being wet with all that fog. That's why I want the good coverage of square/rectangle.
    From May to Sept it is the monsoon with rain pretty much everyday, often in the form of violent storms. Nights are warmer, but it sometimes still gets cool enough that you need some insulation, because they are light and comfortable I want to use the quilts, but again them being down, I need good protection.
    When there, I am most of the time in remote hilly areas, having to walk nearly everyday and spending at least half my nights outdoors.

I am still thinking about the options you have listed:

The JRB camo tarp is 3m35x 2m43 (11x8)
    costs 90 + shipping 40 total 130
    weights 552 (19.5 oz)
    as a hex I am afraid it won't provide enough cover, espacially on the too short sides (2m43).

The one silverlion mentioned is very interesting
    at 3m35 x 3m35 (11x11) it is the right size for my current hammock (DD frontline) and should provide very good cover, it is square and has many attachment points (including some for a ridge line I think), allowing many different setups
    the cost of 60 + shipping 40 tot 100 is attractive
    it's made of 70D PU, so it should be durable I guess. I read somewhere that PU absorbs a lot of water when it's raining and is later heavy to carry, any ideas as to the acuracy of that statement?
    the draw back is that it weights around 750g (1lb 10.5oz)

The claytor tarp is listed as 4mx3m, but that, I underrstand, is if you put it on the diagonal, I don't think I will get good enough cover for my underquilt with it laid on the diagonal (the wind swept rains and the fog) and it doesn't seem well suited to be used as normal A frame (is any case to short that way 2m50; my hammock is 2m70 long). Also, in the jungle a tarp that is too long (4m diamond config.) restricts your camp sites alot (most trees are closer to each other than 4m)
    Otherwise, the price 50 +40 tot. 90,
    and weight, I think around 650g (21oz)
    are not bad at all.

The warbonnet tarp has good dimensions 3m35 x 3m04 (11x10) but it is hex I don't know how it works with the doors added, setup wise, is it as flexibel as a square? or can you only pitch it as done in the pictures?
    The weight, at 550g (19.5) for the super fly is pretty good
    The price is steep though 130+ 40 shipping tot 170
    I also prefer the woodland camo to bad marpat copys, but that is secondary. The main worry I have with it is flexibilty (what if its not raining, or so cold, can I pitch it flat? etc...)

I actually made a mistake in conversion, 9 feet = 2m74 ergo too short (my hang 2m7). I guess that makes the whole title of the tread silly, and disqualifies the last prposition. But all the replies I got so far helped me, thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast