Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images

Hopeful Hanger

Hola folks, Rob here from Kentucky. Been a volunteer with Scouts for 11 years now, and have been noticing more pains with ground camping than before, so some folks in the troop introdyuced me to their Hennesy Hammocks.

Always been very thrifty, and DIY/MYOG are my passions, always think home-made can be tuned to individual tastes, and no body to blame but yourself if you do screw up. That being said, beginning to make my first Bear Burrito.

Bought 4 yards of black 1.9oz ripstop at Hancocks for 3.49/yard, and just got an E-Bay for 120 feet of Amsteel 7/64. Also 2 15' 1500 pound ratchet straps. Planning on (according to what Ive read) whipping the hammock with center and edges short (Jeffs Camping instruction), then Amsteel hammock attachment to lock biners. 100" structural ridgeline (or so, tuned to what I think works after trials), attached to biners (should be using larkshead or bowline?). Biners then attached to tree with poly straps with HH 4 wrap to secure. I also have 8'x8' bug net that I will attach to ridgeline, and potentially Tyvek Cat tarp 12' long.

Still haven't seam roll sewed edges yet, want to make sure I have the best start before I go nuts, how does this all sound for a trial?

This is a great site, can't wait to here from yall on how this setup looks. Once completed, I will post photos.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Welcome Rob. Nothing hopeful about it, sounds like you're well on your way. We do, of course, require pictures of the hammock-to-be or else, it never happened .

Enjoy the elevation.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!
    Sounds pretty good, you may want to look into splicing the amsteel rather than knots. Knots will derate much more than the splices. And before long you'll hear of whoopie slings! I've used the hennessy lashing as well and whoopies I find to be MUCH more user friendly, faster, and easier. Here's a link to an educational (and hysterical) series for hammock 101:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=15516....and another on suspensions specifically: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9996. There's a DIY tutorial for whoopies in the suspension systems forum, as well many other options. Oh just a couple things to check, though I'm sure you have coming from Jeff's fantastic web page. Make sure biners are climbing rated and the fabric uncoated. Once you get going with hammocks there are tons of designs to be tried! I started the cloning process on a hennessy yesterday, just beware it's about the best can of worms you can open.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    Holy cow, rethinking some stuff. Whoopie sling looks great, will it work with 7/64" Amsteel? It's gonna be a stretch for my imagination to trust my weight to it, the engineer in me says it can't be strong enough, even though I read the specs.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    and check out Shug's videos (esp the one about the marlinspike hitch for use with your ratchet straps)
    great information, memorably presented! KM(who says 'come on in the water's fine')

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Your amsteel is plenty strong for whoopies. There was just a group buy that ended with the purchase of over 4000 ft of 7/64 amsteel. If you check the Sampson website they have great instructions for whoopies. Have fun making your gear.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Looks like you're off to a great start. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Welcome

Welcome. This forum will provide you with new ideas and things to try, almost on a daily basis. From Triangle Thingies to Alki Stoves... there no end to the ingenuity and creativity you'll see from people on HF.

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Welcome to Hf And HaPpy Hanging!

• + New Posts