Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Playing with a GrizzBridge

OK, I am finally in possession of one of these babies and just starting to play. I already have some very positive impressions ( one very positive in particular) and a possible negative or two compared to the BMBH. ( as usual, I quickly became aware of a couple of relative pros AND cons). But before I even get into any of that- plus I hope to go to the woods this afternoon rather than making judgments with my flexy Vario stand- I have a quick question for Grizz anyone else who has used one of these nifty hammocks:
    How far between the rings for optimal function?

So far, I have just adjusted for the "reverse banana". When I set my JRB BMBH according to JRB directions(either using a RL set for 9'6" between the rings, or setting it until the netting is tight and then backing off a bit), I usually can see that the center of the hammock is higher than the ends. There is a slight curve in the hammock when viewed from the side, in a reverse direction than the way a non-bridge hammocks curves.

So I have just adjusted the Grizz for that same curve, then maybe a little tighter to allow for Vario stand flex. And that feels about right, but maybe it will feel dif if set at some exact tension?

Or maybe I should just tie it to the trees with the old faithful 30* angle and let at go at that?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    the infamous grizz bridge. would love to try one out. and a bmbh. ill be following this thread

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, I am finally in possession of one of these babies and just starting to play. I already have some very positive impressions ( one very positive in particular) and a possible negative or two compared to the BMBH. ( as usual, I quickly became aware of a couple of relative pros AND cons). But before I even get into any of that- plus I hope to go to the woods this afternoon rather than making judgments with my flexy Vario stand- I have a quick question for Grizz anyone else who has used one of these nifty hammocks:
    How far between the rings for optimal function?

So far, I have just adjusted for the "reverse banana". When I set my JRB BMBH according to JRB directions(either using a RL set for 9'6" between the rings, or setting it until the netting is tight and then backing off a bit), I usually can see that the center of the hammock is higher than the ends. There is a slight curve in the hammock when viewed from the side, in a reverse direction than the way a non-bridge hammocks curves.

So I have just adjusted the Grizz for that same curve, then maybe a little tighter to allow for Vario stand flex. And that feels about right, but maybe it will feel dif if set at some exact tension?

Or maybe I should just tie it to the trees with the old faithful 30* angle and let at go at that?

NOTE to ALL...

BB58's bridge is the original omni tape bug net version and 9-6 between the rings is correct.....ALL THE ZIPPERED BMBH should be 9-3 between the primary rings... Stinging too tight will overly stress the bugnet, resulting in "user error" bug net ripping.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    NOTE to ALL...

BB58's bridge is the original omni tape bug net version and 9-6 between the rings is correct.....ALL THE ZIPPERED BMBH should be 9-3 between the primary rings... Stinging too tight will overly stress the bugnet, resulting in "user error" bug net ripping.

Pan
    Thank's Pan. So 3" shorter on the ring distance, and roughly 50 lbs more capacity with the new spreader bars, and of course now a zippered bug net. Are there any other dif- dimensions or whatever- between my old one(original BMBH version) and the newest version? ( I hope not, as I am obviously looking for an excuse to sell mine and buy the new version!)

Thank's Pan. So 3" shorter on the ring distance, and roughly 50 lbs more capacity with the new spreader bars, and of course now a zippered bug net. Are there any other dif- dimensions or whatever- between my old one(original BMBH version) and the newest version? ( I hope not, as I am obviously looking for an excuse to sell mine and buy the new version!)
    BillyBob, we will have the new version of the JRB bridge hammock at the Meriwether Lewis hang in 2 weeks for you to check out
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    BillyBob, we will have the new version of the JRB bridge hammock at the Meriwether Lewis hang in 2 weeks for you to check out
    Well maybe I can get up there, I'd love to check it out, also love to see every one, but not looking promising at the moment. Have you both used it? How does it feel in the shoulders for y'all?

Well maybe I can get up there, I'd love to check it out, also love to see every one, but not looking promising at the moment. Have you both used it? How does it feel in the shoulders for y'all?
    I haven't got to try it out yet. I know Hamhocker really likes it. I asked her how it feels in the shoulders and she said it felt great.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    The 2010 zippered BMBH has dual end pockets for personal items and the zipper simply follows the hammock top edge.

The 2011 zippered BMBH has had the front two corners softened for easier zipper glide. While I can close the zipper while in the hammock, as per the instruction card. it is preferred to pre pull the zipper passed the front corners by 6 inches or so, get in careful not to sit on the bugnet, then finish the zipping. A nice improvement.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    The 2010 zippered BMBH has dual end pockets for personal items and the zipper simply follows the hammock top edge.

The 2011 zippered BMBH has had the front two corners softened for easier zipper glide. While I can close the zipper while in the hammock, as per the instruction card. it is preferred to pre pull the zipper passed the front corners by 6 inches or so, get in careful not to sit on the bugnet, then finish the zipping. A nice improvement.

Pan
    Thanks Pan. Edit to my above post: "and roughly 50 lbs more capacity with the new spreader bars" should be "~ 27 lbs more". I was just at your web site and saw a 250 lb limit. For some reason I had a 275 lb. figure in my head, don't know where I got that. I think mine was maybe ~223 lb.

Images
    Don't forget your camera BB when you take your new hammock out for that first test hang in the woods. Would love to see it in action.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast