Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis

Pinhoti planning questions - Ride needed & water?

I'm soon headed to do sections 5 & 6 in Alabama (Porter's Gap to Cheaha Trailhead (yay!).

1) How is the water supply? Anywhere we need to tank up?

2) We are going to park at the Cheaha store and we need a ride to Porter's Gap this Friday afternoon (sometime after 2:30). Anyone able to do so? We have a possible shuttle but he hasn't confirmed yet. We (3 of us) will gladly pay you, of course.

THank you for your time!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    For a shuttle, try Coosa's Hiker Hostel and Shuttle Service----------------(do a search, or look up on face book-----I ment to copy the link but just got the title!) As far as water goes, There might be water at the Pinhoti/Chinnabee/ odem trail junction. (no water from there to the cheaha trail head) If you had to, there is always water near turnipseed camp on the Chinnabee silent trail, and if you take the cave creek trail to the cheaha trail head, cave creek always has water. (of course then you would miss Mcdill point, and the plane wreck etc) Have a great trip---I love that section of trail! Also, if you cant find a shuttle, the pinhoti/skyway/ chinnabee loop is excellent! Its about 17 miles,----shouldnt have any water problems. Just remember to wear orange!!!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Is the entire Alabama side of the Pinhoti Hammock friendly? The reason I ask is I thought I read where the state park allowed ground sleeping.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Most of the Pinhoti is on national forest land or WMA's----no issues with hammocks that I know of! (besides, in hiking the Pinhoti several times a year for the past 15 years, I have never seen a ranger, and rarely seen other hikers! Its very quiet and very remote---perfect if you like solitude!) You pretty much camp where ever you want--no permits or designated camp sites
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    Most of the Pinhoti is on national forest land or WMA's----no issues with hammocks that I know of! (besides, in hiking the Pinhoti several times a year for the past 15 years, I have never seen a ranger, and rarely seen other hikers! Its very quiet and very remote---perfect if you like solitude!) You pretty much camp where ever you want--no permits or designated camp sites
    Shhhhhh! Nobody else needs to know!!!!!!!

And thanks for the tips, stevebo!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I did that trip back in March. I had TONS of water along the way. I actually carried more than needed. After you climb stairway to heaven, I think there are only 2 water sources from there to Cheaha. The last one is the cross trail of Pinhoti and Chinnabee silent trail, so filter enough to go about 8 miles. With all the rain we've had, water should be good. My first night was Burgess point. Second was at those cross trails. I was able to hang with no problems. Good luck, and have fun. Weather should be great. But, it is going to get close to freezing...

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    http://www.pinhotitrailalliance.org The trail guides will tell you exactly where the water sources are. I downloaded a gpx file to my garmin to help me keep up with mileage.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Shhhhhh! Nobody else needs to know!!!!!!!

And thanks for the tips, stevebo!
    No problem! (PM me if you need any more info---no pun intended, but the Pinhoti really is my "neck of the woods"!)

--unknown

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Great info! Thanks - glad to know there has been good rain recently.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock & Warbonnet
    Tarp
    UGQ & Warbonnet
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing W/ Buckle
    I live within walking distance of the Pinhoti trail and hike on it almost weekly. I have never had any issues finding water, the longest distance I covered without passing a water source was just over 10 miles in mid summer on the top of Taylor Ridge in Georgia.

• + New Posts