WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing

Thinking of giving Hammocks another chance

Hello all. Just signed up here, been on the backpacker mag site for years and the whiteblaze for a few months. I tried a Hennesy Exp. Asym several years ago and just could net get comfortable in. I really wanted to love it but gave up pretty quickly. I tested several sleeping options and currently have as a set up, a SMD Lunar Duo and Solo, BA IAC pad and an Exped Downmat 9 for cold temps. I also have several WM and Montbell sleeping bags.

OK, after seeing Bearpaws set up on whiteblaze I am really thinking of trying out (I will give it more time this time) the Warbonet Blackbird 1.1 double and a WB superfly tarp. I should mention I had a weight lifting accident 4-5 years ago that gives me reoccuring lower back issues. Comfort is most important to me, price is not a big concern for the set up I really want.

Anyway, glad to be here and look forward to your insight and experience on all things Hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB / ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES MacCat / H.Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Welcome

Welcome to the Insanity. Once you get your setup dialed in, you'll never go back. I'm still fairly new at this (1yr) but I've already acquired more hammocks and tarps than I could have ever imagined. Just converted my son over to hangin' too.

This forum is so full of information and DIY projects, that it's hard to digest it all. You'll find a wide variety of suggestions, opinions and ideas, but one thing that's constant, is the love of the hang. Try as many options as possible, give em' all a try and find what works for you.

Good Luck...

"I'd rather be in the mountains thinking about God, than in church thinking about the mountains" - John Muir

Festus

Images
    Welcome to HF! Can you recall exactly what your comfort issues were with the HH? Whatever it was, some tips about how to hang correctly might solve it. Or a longer hammock. Or a bridge hammock. Really depends on what the problem was. Good luck on trying again, hope it works out for you!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Welcome to HF! Can you recall exactly what your comfort issues were with the HH? Whatever it was, some tips about how to hang correctly might solve it. Or a longer hammock. Or a bridge hammock. Really depends on what the problem was. Good luck on trying again, hope it works out for you!
    I just could not seem to lay flat enough. I am 6' 230, so that is why I was thinking the 1.1 double. I am a back sleeper 90% with maybe 10% on my side. I am thinking I just not have the right Hammock, I did not like the bottom entry either, being able to roll the bug net back really appeals to me. I will most likely give it a try and see how I go, lots of good info on here. I am not big into DIY, but who knows, for now, I think I will sell some gear and get a Hammock!

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to HF and good luck with your hammock hunt.

Fronkey

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kia Kaha View Post
    I just could not seem to lay flat enough. I am 6' 230, so that is why I was thinking the 1.1 double. I am a back sleeper 90% with maybe 10% on my side. I am thinking I just not have the right Hammock, I did not like the bottom entry either, being able to roll the bug net back really appeals to me. I will most likely give it a try and see how I go, lots of good info on here. I am not big into DIY, but who knows, for now, I think I will sell some gear and get a Hammock!
    Well, at 6', you are right at the upper max height limit of the Expedition. So that might be a factor. People of your height and even a bit taller use the Expedition and are happy, but many others among us find the longer hammocks more comfortable. For example, I have noticed that Expeditions are for sale here at a factor of 10-1 compared to Explorers. Maybe that is because way more people buy Expeditions, or maybe the longer ones are more comfortable for more people, hard to say.

You are also fairly close to the weight limit on the Expedition, so that might be a factor keeping you from getting flat enough. Maybe too much stretch for optimum results? The BB 1.1 dbl might be just right for you with it's 275 lb limit. The 1.7 dbl has a 400 lb limit, but while it would probably be "flatter" for you with it's greater reserve, it might not be more comfortable for you for a variety of reasons having to do with stretch. Again, hard to say.

But more folks love BBs than anything else, so give it a try. Talk with Brandon about if you should get the 1.1 dbl or something else. If for some reason that still does not do it, don't give up. You can likely sell it here quickly for little loss. Then maybe try a HH DJ XL or Explorer. Or better yet a Safari, though it might not have some features you want, and weighs a few oz more than other hammocks even though it is not double layer(but oh so big and comfortable!). And if you want to try something dif at a much lower cost, don't forget the 10 ft. long Claytors. Though a narrow hammock, I have found these to be very comfy, my Claytor No Net remains one of my overall favorites. Also, some folks are speaking highly of these, though I have not yet tried one: http://stores.tttrailgear.com/StoreFront.bok .

And lastly, if laying flat is the problem, there is always a bridge hammock:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

It has it's own pros and cons like all the rest, but Laying FLAT is not a problem with this hammock!

If possible, get yourself to a hammock hang get together where you can try a bunch of different hammocks to see what is right FOR YOU! Happy hunting!

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    I'm a sneeze bigger than you. I just got a WBBB double 1.7. Love it. But I've got only a couple hours in it - so it might suddenly suck later

Side sleep and flat were key to me and the Black Bird double-layer 1.7 delivered. I care less about the weight than sleep comfort. In fact, I've gone up considerably in total sleep system weight by going to a hammock (I was a sil tarp guy). But honestly, when I first crawled into it - I napped.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I'm a sneeze bigger than you. I just got a WBBB double 1.7. Love it. But I've got only a couple hours in it - so it might suddenly suck later

Side sleep and flat were key to me and the Black Bird double-layer 1.7 delivered. I care less about the weight than sleep comfort. In fact, I've gone up considerably in total sleep system weight by going to a hammock (I was a sil tarp guy). But honestly, when I first crawled into it - I napped.

So is the double a double layer so you can put a pad in there? One big question I have is at what temp do you need an underquilt and is that more comfortable tan a ccf pad? I am thinking the 1.1 right now, but if the 1.7 is more comfy I am good with that. The weight is not the most important thing but rather comfort. I went pretty UL for a while and then slowly started adding items back in for comfort. I am out there to enjoy the wilderness, not to see how light I can go or eat my meals out of a cup.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adj. Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, at 6', you are right at the upper max height limit of the Expedition. So that might be a factor. People of your height and even a bit taller use the Expedition and are happy, but many others among us find the longer hammocks more comfortable. For example, I have noticed that Expeditions are for sale here at a factor of 10-1 compared to Explorers. Maybe that is because way more people buy Expeditions, or maybe the longer ones are more comfortable for more people, hard to say.

You are also fairly close to the weight limit on the Expedition, so that might be a factor keeping you from getting flat enough. Maybe too much stretch for optimum results? The BB 1.1 dbl might be just right for you with it's 275 lb limit. The 1.7 dbl has a 400 lb limit, but while it would probably be "flatter" for you with it's greater reserve, it might not be more comfortable for you for a variety of reasons having to do with stretch. Again, hard to say.

But more folks love BBs than anything else, so give it a try. Talk with Brandon about if you should get the 1.1 dbl or something else. If for some reason that still does not do it, don't give up. You can likely sell it here quickly for little loss. Then maybe try a HH DJ XL or Explorer. Or better yet a Safari, though it might not have some features you want, and weighs a few oz more than other hammocks even though it is not double layer(but oh so big and comfortable!). And if you want to try something dif at a much lower cost, don't forget the 10 ft. long Claytors. Though a narrow hammock, I have found these to be very comfy, my Claytor No Net remains one of my overall favorites. Also, some folks are speaking highly of these, though I have not yet tried one: http://stores.tttrailgear.com/StoreFront.bok .

And lastly, if laying flat is the problem, there is always a bridge hammock:
    http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm

It has it's own pros and cons like all the rest, but Laying FLAT is not a problem with this hammock!

If possible, get yourself to a hammock hang get together where you can try a bunch of different hammocks to see what is right FOR YOU! Happy hunting!
    Thanks for the insight, I will check out your suggestions.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    So is the double a double layer so you can put a pad in there? One big question I have is at what temp do you need an underquilt and is that more comfortable tan a ccf pad? I am thinking the 1.1 right now, but if the 1.7 is more comfy I am good with that. The weight is not the most important thing but rather comfort. I went pretty UL for a while and then slowly started adding items back in for comfort. I am out there to enjoy the wilderness, not to see how light I can go or eat my meals out of a cup.
    I would imagine that double layer is required for strength. But it is easy to put a pad between the layers of my dbl 1.7 and the two pads I've tried (39"x59"x1/4" Evazote, and a 3/4 length Z-lite) stayed put - no shifting or pad chasing.

Regarding temperature - I don't know squat (in a hammock anyways). I'm gonna play with pads for a bit until I get a definite bead on an under quilt. I want to reduce pack bulk (1/4" pad is very bulky), but I don't want to shell out my $ on a sub-par UQ (whole other thread). Sorting out these cottage-made products can be a pain (and no, they're not all "good"). This forum seems to discourage any kind of competition between vendors, so there's no "good", "better", "best" product ratings.

I'm way past that gram-wiener stage where you have to hike 30 miles a day and wipe your butt in the grass. I go out there to enjoy it, not walk past it.

Anyways, welcome!

• + New Posts