Tarp
    Smokehouse
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Suspension
    Whoopies

HH, WBBB, Clark...Help!

Hi Gang,
    2new2hang here. I'm a newbie hammocker, trying to decide on my first hammock, as well as to purchase hammocks for my wife and 13 year old daughter. After much reading on the forums, staring at You Tube videos till the wee hours, and haunting the internet, I believe I have things narrowed down to the three I listed in my subject line. From reading many of the posts here, I am a bit stuck trying to make a choice. My big dilemma is that I live in Tokyo, Japan and don't have any real opportunities to try out any of these hammocks. So, I was hoping to get some advice from any of you that would like to comment.
    First off, I am a fairly large fella, at 6ft and 265lbs (no one has ever used the term "svelte" and my name in the same sentence). I also have very wide shoulders (kinda like my waist) .
    Second, I have a bad tendency to roll to my side or stomach when sleeping (hate sleeping on my back).
    As far as when I would be hanging, I would need a 4 season alternative. Since both my wife and I are teachers, we have vacation spread out throughout the year, and would be out quite often during breaks. Here in Japan we have weather varying from the upper 90's (or higher) in the summer and sweltering like the planet Mercury, to well into the teens in winter and buried in snow in the more mountainous areas. (I wanna be like Shug and breakfast from the hammock while making snot bubbles when it's 15 below zero! Awesome! )
    Ok, so here are a couple of my thoughts, and you can let me know yours.

When looking at the WBBB, although it seems like a great hammock, I noticed that it seems very narrow. In pics from above, it looks like a sea kayak and I was not comfortable with the idea of being compressed at the shoulders (any thoughts?). Thing is, everyone seems to rant about them.
    The HH Deluxe Explorer seems really wide and comfortable from what I can gather from photos and comments. It was one of the first hammocks I found on the net and I have always thought it would be the one I would go with.
    Then, along comes the Clark and I'm thinking, wow, that seems really cool. Yeah, it's as expensive as a Lear Jet , but the entire integration looked really neat. From the couple of videos I could find (NX 250), it seemed however, a little tippy and a bit of a pain with the little spreader rods. I also have not seen anything in the way of an under quilt for it (will any of them work?). I wasn't sure about hanging options on it (same as others?), nor have I got any idea about the space inside. I saw a comment from some folks about it being really a flat hang, and others saying you hang like a banana. The tarp also seems very small, so for blowing rain, would you get wet? I read somewhere that it was too wide on the outside, and other tarps wouldn't fit it. Anyone know if that's true? All that said, it still seemed like a really cool hammock.
    Now, I am not a human ATM, but I am willing to spend some money on good gear that would be right for me, so I will spend what I need to. I just didn't want to end up buying 3 different sets of hammocks so I could decide (besides, my wife would hang and gut me like a deer. And she's not a hunter).
    My question is, can any of you guys and gals shed some light on helping me to make a decision?
    I hope I have given you enough info about me and not too much rambling. Thanks very much for your time and advice. Take care.

Best,

Russ

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if it was me i would get the WBBB
    the WBBB is alot bigger then it looks in pics it's very roomy inside
    and is one of the best hammocks out there hands down

the HH are not bad and you do get a tarp with it but if it was me... i would save up alittle more and get a WBBB and a tarp

as for the clark i can't really tell you much about the clark... from what i get from them you still need a tarp and they are up there in price... for the price of the clark you can get a WBBB a tarp and maybe a UQ from a vendor....

but it all comes down to your needs and what will fit YOU best there all very good so you can't go wrong with any of them
    too bad you live in Japan or i would say goto a hang and check out all the different setups maybe someone from Japan that hangs will chime in and maybe invite you to check out there setup

anyway good like with your choice and welcome to the forums
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I know warbonnet has a huge following on here but HH explorer is a great hammock. I have the expedition asym and I love it and I plan on buying the BB in the next month or so but Im sayin just really do your research on the features you like and dont like and also if you are looking into another tarp you can tell hennessy and they will take some money off of the price to remove the stock tarp

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There is a good reason the WBBB is so popular. There are a lot of hangers that are as big if not bigger than you who are very comfy in the BB. Hard choice for sure. I wish I could have tried many different hammocks when I first started but I initially bought a BB because of all the recommendations and have not been disappointed. Good luck with your choice.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Also New

I'm real new to the wonderful world of Hammock Camping also, so I am not sure if my opinion counts yet or has any authority (certainly not an expert), but I will tell you that I have the Hennessy Expedition and the Big Hex tarp. I converted the suspension to whoppie slings.. and I LOVE IT! Plenty of room and super comfortable.
    I got the Zip model.. love it. My son got the "bottom entry" style.. don't like it.
    I think that (in my limited view) that hammocks are like underwear. Boxers fit some folks, while briefs fit others. WBBB, Clark, or HH is totally up to the person hanging in it.
    Ask yourself a few questions. 1. How much can I spend? 2. What I am using it for? and 3. What are my needs? Then hit the web sites and check them all out.
    I went with the Hennessy because I saw them at the National Jamboree, layed in one and thought it fit my needs, price, and useage. I am not disappointed.
    Just my .02 cents.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    To help and muddy the waters further, you may want to add the switchback hammock in the bunch you are looking at. It is wide enough, and sleeps quite flat, so your rolling to your side will not be an issue. I too am over 6 ft tall, and over 250 pounds, and find it very comfortable.
    Wherever you are.....there you are

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Due to a injury , I have the same problem...I gained some weight. Although I have tried just about every hammock out there I ended up getting a Hennessy EX DL , I loved it but then started having issues with it so I got the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Double layer
    you know....the one for heavy folks...LOL!!! I can lay on my side with my knee out just like I sleep....its roomy and very spacious and the quality is second to none......if you buy a WBBB and a WB Tarp you will not ever regret spending the money....sure , its a little high...but to me its your personal shelter , your sleeping quarters why not go big!! its only your comfort we are talking about....PLUS! the WBBB has so many other features its not funny.....they dont call it the cadi of hammocks for nothing.
    I like the security of a tent and the comfort of a hammock so I bought the WBBB 1.7 DL and they have a tarp called a Superfly....its like a tent hammock so you get both and no one on here can pick you and call you ugly names like Bottom Dweller...and such...LOL!! I hope this helps!! SEMPER FI!!HF
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I have a Hennessey Expedition, and I don't have any trouble sleeping on my side. YMMV. I started off trying to use a sleeping pad inside of the hammock, and it was a bit of a pain, but comfortable enough once I got settled. I made a DIY under-quilt this winter though, and it's soooo much better. I got the stock diamond tarp with it, and find it to be a little small. It does a fine job of keeping a little rain or snow off (used it in both conditions) but I like to have a little extra room under there for gear and/or to sit and cook or just hang out if the weather is bad.

My girlfriend has a Clark North American model. I've only spent one full night in it, but found it to also be quite comfortable for side sleeping. One nice thing about the Clark is that storage pockets provide some built in bottom insulation. She slept in it several times last summer with no extra insulation under her. The one trip I used it on was mid winter, so I had 2 sleeping pads and 2 sleeping bags and a hot water bottle. You do lay more or less straight in the Clark, so using a sleeping pad in it was easier for me in it than in any of the hammocks that I've used with a diagonal lay. I don't like the stock tarp on the Clark at all. Like the one for the Hennessey, it's too small for my tastes. It's also designed to be attached to the hammock, and I prefer to have the flexibility to hang a tarp higher or lower depending on the weather or how much privacy I want.

Good luck, and happy hanging!
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I second the "go to a hang" thing. If you can make the time it really will be worth it to see some of the things in person, and a lot of people I'm sure will be nice enough to allow you to lay in there's.

My vote is the blackbird. I've tried the hennessy expedition and feel even for me at 5'7" it can be a little small. Plus blackbirds have a resale value of what you buy it for, or close to it. You could always just sell it and get your money back.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Russ my svelte twin brother from a different mother I don't own a WBBB but I have Clarks with Vertex (larger) tarps and a HH Safari and a GT and I can tell you this, I like the NX250 over the NA hands down. The poles take about two minutes to install and are worth it. Suffering from degenerative disc problems, comfort is very important and as I also like to toss and turn, sleeping on my sides. I feel the NX is the more comfortableof the two. Now the Hennessy Hommock Safari is ROOOMMY (yes teacher I have spell checker but heck sometimes you got to let go) and has an airy feel to it and I enjoy a more comfortable rest when lying on my side. I also feel that the lay is flatter when on my back. As far as the 3 season verses 4 seasons you can not beat the Clarks for weather protection with the weather shield in place you are snug and warmer than the HH. I have a TQ and a BQ that work with the Clarks and HH so that you should not have to factor that into your choice. If it is a dollars and cents issue Clarks can eat it up fast but I will admit they are built to take it and then some. Don't get me wrong, the HH is well built and no slouch. Hope it helps.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast