Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images

SLS - I just don't get it

I am pretty good at figuring out most of the technique around here, but I am having trouble figuring out a simple SLS setup. I have read many posts on the SLS subject however.....

If I have a single 30' Amsteel whoopie connected to a tree hugger at each end, it will form a single line between two trees for both a hammock and tarp to hang on to. But how do you connect the hammock to the SLS and allow it to adjust when needed and stay put when you are using it.

An Alpine Butterfly is not adjustable at all, but do you tie one into your SLS every time you setup?

Has anyone tried an amsteel pursic knot? Would that hold weight but slide when adjusting?

Is there a mechanical \ hardware piece that can be used to attach to the SLS line?

Any help explaining would be great. thanks.
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Here's one way.

It's actually 3 different pieces of line. The ridgeline (132") connects to the Amsteel suspension line by larksheading a buried eye. The Dutch Biners keep them from sliding off. The Chain Links (23"ish, I think?) are calculated to provide sag equivlent to a 96" hammock ridgeline. This particular setup was designed for an Amazonas Hammock, but would also work the same way on a gathered end.

Maybe this has already been mentioned in other threads, but the larger the difference between the hammock ridgeline and the tarp ridgeline, the deeper the hammock will hang. It sometimes will require a rectangle or hex tarp for proper weather protection.
    Last edited by PapaSmurf; 05-07-2011 at 19:09.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    have you seen this post http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719 lots of good pictures. thought i would suggest doing away with the clove hitch and just wrap the ridge line through the descending ring at least three times, makes it easier to adjust the sag.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Here's one way.

It's actually 3 different pieces of line. The ridgeline (132") connects to the Amsteel suspension line by larksheading a buried eye. The Dutch Biners keep them from sliding off. The Chain Links (23"ish, I think?) are calculated to provide sag equivlent to a 96" hammock ridgeline.
    PapaSmurf, Thanks, but what keeps the Dutch Biner in place. What allows it to adjust to different tree lengths?

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    have you seen this post http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4719 lots of good pictures. thought i would suggest doing away with the clove hitch and just wrap the ridge line through the descending ring at least three times, makes it easier to adjust the sag.
    Cinnamon, Thank you. but to adjust the hammock from side to side you have to continually re-adjust the clove hitch, right?

On a SLS, doesn;t the hammock have to adjust to be in the middle of the SLS?
    - William -

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. - Psalms 119:9

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by WLMiller54 View Post

Cinnamon, Thank you. but to adjust the hammock from side to side you have to continually re-adjust the clove hitch, right?

On a SLS, doesn;t the hammock have to adjust to be in the middle of the SLS?
    don't use a clove hitch, use a descending ring as Grizz shows in his vid take a look at part two i belive. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=8939
    yeah you'd want the hammock centered between the trees, don't know how easy that is to do with a SLS i've never used one.... personally i use what Grizz calls the sliding ring suspension

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    PapaSmurf, Thanks, but what keeps the Dutch Biner in place. What allows it to adjust to different tree lengths?
    The Dutch Biners are hooked onto buried eyes on the Amsteel lines. In this particular case the adjustment for width of trees is made with the straps and cinch buckles, but whoopies & toggles could easily be used instead.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ TQ
    Suspension
    WS to Ridged Strap
    Images
    Okay, I think I got it. Can someone confirm this is correct please?

Tree Hugger >> Whoopie >> Apline Butterfly to Hammock connection >> middle >> Apline Butterfly to Hammock connection >> Whoopie >> Tree Hugger

Correct? And I center the hammock using the whoopies on each end.

If I tighten the SLS with a Whoopie Sling on each end, is there any chance that the Whoopies can not be loosened?

Thank you
    - William -

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Okay, I think I got it. Can someone confirm this is correct please?

Tree Hugger >> Whoopie >> Apline Butterfly to Hammock connection >> middle >> Apline Butterfly to Hammock connection >> Whoopie >> Tree Hugger

Correct? And I center the hammock using the whoopies on each end.

If I tighten the SLS with a Whoopie Sling on each end, is there any chance that the Whoopies can not be loosened?

Thank you
    You've got it!

From what I have seen, you do not have to crank it as tight as a guitar string. Once loaded the weight will tighten the line where the tarp is and that's the part that matters most. As long as the line has some play, the Whoopies can be loosened and as long as the bury is milked completely on the Whoopies they won't slip.

• + New Posts