Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiiawiwb View Post
    You folks are the BEST! Thank you. That's exactly what I needed.

Participating in a group hang is definitely a mission for me. I'll be the laughing stock of the group but that's ok. An opportunity to meet some of you kind folk and witness how the maestro plays the violin.

Thanks everyone!
    we only laugh at folks still sleeping on the ground (then offer to loan them a spare hammock..)

Images
    I'm at a point where I don't know how to proceed. Do I spend the next week learning knot tying? Do I spend the next week getting up to speed with lines, cords, carabiners, and the like?

Help.....I'm completely overwhelmed.
    Relax! Really nothing to it, though you can make it way more complicated if you want to play!

Whatever you ordered will probably have some stock way to hang it and directions for same. Just use that until you feel more adventurous, if indeed you ever do!

I still often just use a HH the way it came out of the box. Takes 5 or 10 minutes to learn the HH lashing ( a simple figure 8 hitch really). The only thing that should really cause some extra thinking is how to keep your back warm. And if you want, you can do that by just taking your ground pad and putting it in the hammock, though you will probably want to do that a little differently. But in the meantime, while you are deciding on all of that, just wrap your tree savers around the tree, tie the rope to the huggers and lay down!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Breathe.....
    Look at say....fishing. You can get a boat, fish-finder, multiple graphite rods, lures, jigs etc, a cabin, fish-house, waders.......
    Or just get a cane-pole, hook and bobber.
    It can be as easy or complicated as you want or don't want.
    Just take on bit at a time and just get the hammock up and you in it.
    Best to you.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I just recently started messing with splicing Amsteel...and everything else I can find.

I think the whole Whoopie thing took off around 2009. I played with a few commercially made sets just to see what all the fuss was about, but decided they wouldn't get much use from me. Two years later, I decided to take another look and learn the (extremely easy) skill of splicing. Now, I can barely feel my finger tips anymore.

This place is like Baskin Robbins; there are lots of flavors, but you only have to eat the ones you like.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Hammocking is getting way too complicated

If you think about it that is probably pretty much how you felt about first learning to ride a bicycle or drive a car with manual transmission (if you ever did that). Now those things a second nature because you have done it enough to go on semi-auto. Keep it simple and don't get too fussed up by the advice of OCD gram counters or their cousin the DIY fiend (hi y'all! ). I use adjustable webbing (oh my gawd...they weigh X ounces more!!) and am experimenting with bungie cords with my tarp (again...).

You can do this and it is worth the effort.

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    Just remember. A lot of people like to tinker with their rigs. Hammocks do give you a tinker factor that is not found so much with tents. This is not necessary, just get the hammock and tarp, go hang, then you may find you want to tweek it a bit. Just start off simple
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Don't listen to Shug about fishing! He has NO idea what he is talking about. You MUST have all the bells and whistles and repetitive gear or the fish won't bite and your house may burn down! at least that's what I tell my wife

Seriously, I am a tinkerer. I keep trying to find reasons to go away from the stock suspension, but I have had such a huge variation in tree girths and hanging distances that it just shines as the most obvious choice for me. I had very similar concerns about it being a complicated affair, but honestly, hammocking has proven to be very simple. I intend to keep it that way if I can. Enjoy!
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Breathe.....
    Look at say....fishing. You can get a boat, fish-finder, multiple graphite rods, lures, jigs etc, a cabin, fish-house, waders.......
    Or just get a cane-pole, hook and bobber.
    It can be as easy or complicated as you want or don't want.
    Just take on bit at a time and just get the hammock up and you in it.
    Best to you.
    Shug
    Exactly. Remember, a lot of the conversation that goes on in this forum is "advanced" if you want to call it that, and is usually presenting umpteen different ideas to do the same thing. I think your concerns bring up a good point. Maybe a "Help, I'm a Super Noob! My First Hang" tutorial is needed. Talk about the absolute basics. Focus being on ease to consumer (read NO DIY! ). Good first hammocks to purchase, absolute easiest way to suspend the hammock, and the easiest way to put up a cheap tarp. I think all beginners should understand this isn't as "mindless" as putting up a tent, but at the same time, I think that's what many of us love.

I'll keep reviewing Shug's video's and pick up bits and pieces.
    You'll know when you have gone too far when you buy that unicycle...

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Thanks for the honesty.

You have made an excellent observation. I think it might be a glass half-full/half-empty thing. Kind of like what made the Volkswagen Beetle successful, it was one model, functional, reliable, and standardized. Millions loved the Love Bugs. However, there are also those of us who want something more like a BMW Dual Sport motorbike (wish I had one). The fun is not only in the ride, but also in accessorizing to fit your needs and use habits. (Panniers? Leg faring? Heated hand grips? Helmet radios? Lowering/raising kits? Add-on tank? Tires? ...).

My recommendation if you're more a Volkswagen guy, a Hennessey with the Super Shelter and a nice down winter sleeping bag. Hammock, suspension, tarp, and insulation, all in one nice package.

But if you like to accessorize, I recommend a WBBB 1.0 DL with Dyneema Whoopies and carabiners used as toggles or Dutch Clips, 3 foot double looped AHE webbing straps, a Hennessey Hex-fly tarp (might look at the Warbonnet options) the Hennessey SS underpad (you can buy it separately for about $35), Tarp Flyz, DIY tarp-line tensioners made from surgical tubing and zap straps, and some titanium stakes from outdoor equipment.

Personally, I prefer the variety of options. Then whether I'm winter or summer camping I can adjust my gear to suit my needs.
    Please enter your signature here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast