Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

Thumbs up New Idea?? Ultralite Underquilt?

I've been using a garlington insulator (retail) with some grip clips (very light ones not the heavy black edge cliping kind) and then use whatever you have in your backpack for insulation. I use a thermarest pad with one of those crazy creek type sleeves for it (gives double use for the pad as chair and insulation). Also extra clothes etc. and I've used a CCF pad also. This has worked fine for me down to about 35 ish. Here's the links to the insulator and the clips I'm using.

www.2qzqhammockhanger.com sold as underquilt protector in hammock accessories tab.

http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/ click ordering tab and go for the smaller clips.

The Big Advantage! This is really light, packs small, and is cheap. I do most of my hiking in the Southern Appalacians during 3 long seasons. If you're car camping, base camping, or are made of $ then you can probably do better. If you're camping in the snow then you prob. need more. I'll put up some pics next time I get it set up. I've tried down underquilts and a pad inside the hammock. They're either uncomfortable or just pack too big and heavy. GET DOUBLE USE OUT OF EVERYTHING YOU PACK!!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    For years now, I have carried a poncho as my rain gear. Rigged as a GI it adds considerable warmth to any bottom insulation system (pad, uq, etc...) even without filling the space. Just the dead air space hinders the cooling due to convection. In the warm of summer, sometimes the poncho is the only thing necessary as bottom insulation. (I have no numbers to go with).

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.

Smile Rochester?! How 'bout Caldonia?

Wife is from Caldonia / Mumford. If you ever need to have info for hiking the area around western South Carolina or WNC (Western North Carolina) let me know and I'll help! Good idea on the poncho.... be sure to check out the tarp clips.... they probably aren't what you're thinking of.... really lite and they hold really well. Get out more!
    Diesel..... South Dakota BlackHills, Utah Wasach front, Southern Cali, Hawaii trails, WNC, Coastal Charleston area...... hike it all!!!

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Caledonia is right around the corner. Appreciate the offer for hints on hiking in the Carolinas. I have been meaning to get some of those clips for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'd love to get out more, but the wife only lets me go 2 weekends/month. I guess i can't complain.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have the JRB Weathershield which is the same thing. I've been down to 24º and very toasty with a pad and a 30º sleeping bag.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    What does
    garlington insulator (retail)
    mean?
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancat View Post
    What does mean?
    Here you go: Garlington Insulator
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY rip-stop
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Toggle
    Im with DuctTape here, Its not a GI poncho but it is a West German poncho but it does the same thing. The poncho and some shock cord will break most to all the wind. also makes a good catch for small things, socks and hat, all you have to do is reach down and under to grab them.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    I know what a Garlington Insulator is I just wondered why he put the word "retail" after it.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    8x10 cat silnylon
    Insulation
    thermarest w/ SPE
    Suspension
    Speers straps.
    mancat.... the (retail) means well...... ahhhh..... I'm just too **** lazy to make my own like the garlington web link says to do. I ordered one from that link in my first post in the thread...... 2qzqhammock ..... something. It was about $30 and was called a "underquilt protector" (under the "hammock accessories" tab?). They don't actually market it as a garlington insulator but it will hold what I need it to and all the sewing and pre-work is done and it has some drawstrings in the middle.... combined with a few of those tarp grip clips to hold it to the edge of the hammock it will hold everything I carry.... probably even my empty pack if I need to keep it outta a driving rain or something. It's very very light and packs small in it's own little bag or just leave it clipped to the hammock when you pack it up. There's still room to stuff in the insulation etc. Also a place to keep "stuff" although it will slide to the bottom mostly. This gives me a nice smooth sleeping surface as opposed to trying to keep the pad underneath me.... what a pain. I've been happy with it so far! like i said.... i'll get pics on this thread as soon as i can.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast