Linville Gorge or the AT???

I'm in the planning stages of a 4 day trip this summer, (date to be determined) somewhere about halfway between North Florida and Washington D.C. so that a friend of mine can join me who lives in D.C.. I was considering doing part of the AT since I have never had the pleasure of hiking on the Trail but then I realized that the Linville Gorge is about half way and thought that would be cool....it seems like a great place to hike after reading all the trip reports and watchin Shug's vids. If at all possible I would like to do a loop trail so we only have to park in one spot instead of having to ferry between to parking lots.....

Are the any good loop trails in the LG around a 4 day hike total...probably wont do more than 10 miles a day at most.....just want to relax and hang.

Any help will be much appreciated.....and once a date is set there will be an open invite to any and all who would like to come along.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Can't help you with the AT ... and I'm overly bias toward Linville Gorge. If you really would like to do the gorge I highly recommend joining the Gorge Rats over at KEN'S LG SITE

Lots of data and hike recommendations ... and a bunch of foolishness. We'd be happy to help you with info on the Big Ditch.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Can't help you with the AT ... and I'm overly bias toward Linville Gorge. If you really would like to do the gorge I highly recommend joining the Gorge Rats over at KEN'S LG SITE

Lots of data and hike recommendations ... and a bunch of foolishness. We'd be happy to help you with info on the Big Ditch.
    Thanks...just got my profile activated......I figured you would be one of the first to respond Hawk-eye

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Caveman85 View Post
    Thanks...just got my profile activated......I figured you would be one of the first to respond Hawk-eye
    Yeah ... I'm kinda obessed with the place ...
    ... that and SPAM, Potted Meat, Livermush and Pie ...

Hope to see you in the gorge sometime!

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if you ask me .... either trail is great and you will be happy you hiked it
    it's a win,win in my book
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Hammock gear
    Suspension
    dutch hook mostly
    I love the AT but I love the gorge too! so I'm no help. There are a few vids of the gorge on my youtube channel. Check em out
    Show of Life Media Youtube Channel

The Carolinas Backpackpacker Chronicles

I'm drawn to the open country. Its where the world makes the most sense. When I put myself out there I always return with something new.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    HA! I have this same dilemma!

My wife and 2 daughters are heading to gymnastics camp in PA this July for 10 days. "Ain't" no way I am staying home, all alone, with the hammock put up! Have a couple of friends trying to sort through some details but long story short, I have a goal to section the AT. Looking in the Roan Mt area as I have not done this section and hear incredible trip reports from hear. However. . . same goes with the Big Ditch! Never been there , trip reports look incredible, people have a GRAND time, Shug's video is no help with helping me make this decision to go to the AT, yadda-yadda! The ditch is closer to home, have the option for friends to join up with me later in the week, no worries about getting shuttled, and rumor has it that there is a fine restaurant that requires a visit.

decisions, decisions. . . .

Either way, I too will be having a blast this coming July !
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have the same problem, April of next year I need to decide whether to hit the AT starting in Franklin, or the Gorge. Grrrr... Ok, got a solution. We're going to have to reroute the AT, simple enough!

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Well, last night I completed a loop that Hawkeye suggested, and it was great. You should know that the Gorge and the AT are entirely different beasts. (Actually, one is a beast and the other is a walk in the woods.) I told Cool Days I was going down Pinchin, and he said, "How are your knees?" Mine are fine, but every single step I took for the past four days was assisted by a carefully planted trekking pole.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Well, last night I completed a loop that Hawkeye suggested, and it was great. You should know that the Gorge and the AT are entirely different beasts. (Actually, one is a beast and the other is a walk in the woods.) I told Cool Days I was going down Pinchin, and he said, "How are your knees?" Mine are fine, but every single step I took for the past four days was assisted by a carefully planted trekking pole.
    Man that's great Dave ... mighty proud of ya pal. Great place isn't it? One of the greatest things my father ever did was take me in there when I was 10 years old. Shame your dog couldn't have made the trip with you.

• + New Posts