warbonnet BB 1.1 single layer
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    That's the reason for the salt "blocks". I think you want one of those cow lick size. You really need to get them up high... They are afraid of heights you know.
    ok stop! you guys are making me laugh too much! i've got to get his book-work done...darn addictive forums...
    who learns will love and not destroy
    the creature's life, the flower's joy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Whee doggies!! It is looking like perfect weather Wednesday and Thursday. Mid 70's highs with mid 50's lows. Partly cloudy but only 20% chance of rain. It don't get any better than that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL
    Whee doggies!! It is looking like perfect weather Wednesday and Thursday. Mid 70's highs with mid 50's lows. Partly cloudy but only 20% chance of rain. It don't get any better than that.
    i know! been watching the weather all weekend - can't wait!
    5 hikers. two gimps. assorted gear...a most worthy HF production!

PS and i hear maybe some other friends may be stopping by? very groovy!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbabyd View Post
    i know! been watching the weather all weekend - can't wait!
    5 hikers. two gimps. assorted gear...a most worthy HF production!

PS and i hear maybe some other friends may be stopping by? very groovy!
    Who else is stopping by? This really must be an amazing area. I can't believe how this trip grown. It started with a few question I had in planning a solo hike up there. Then MML joined in a drew the multitudes like a magnet. I'm guessing a lot of folks have heard of this place and have been itching to get there. So a cool hike has turned into an amazing get together. Gotta love hammock hangers!

On that note, to all who are coming. I have been ill and suffering some odd symptoms recently. I was diagnosed Friday with Lyme's disease. I'm on a huge amount of amoxicillian which is helping a lot. I'm not missing this trip for anything. Just fair warning that I may be a bit weird at times. Lymes really messess with you, and I try to deal with what ever game it's playing with me with a little patience and humor. Last night I pretty much had painful lockjaw making it hard to open my mouth to eat supper, and more painful to chew. I was laughing at how ridiculous it was as I was eating a delicous pot roast and veggies my wife cooked in a crock pot all day. Smelled/tasted too good to pass up. Hurt like hell, so what else could I do but laugh and enjoy as best I could.

Anyway, just a heads up for how strange I've been acting and the reason why. It's not contagious in that you can't catch it from me. I figure if another tick bites me it can't get any worse. So trail and hammock friends, here I come!

Hammock
    DIY - HH - ENO
    Tarp
    OES - HG
    Insulation
    DIY - HG
    Suspension
    WS - AHE
    Images
    Sorry to hear about the Lyme's Disease! My ladyfriend had that a month or so ago, it was awful - she couldn't turn her head for a week, hardly ate a thing, slept long hours. All from a stupid tick that hitched a ride while we were mountain biking!

I'm glad to hear you're in good spirits, despite all, and I hope to see you on the trail! We might catch up to your group on Friday - our shuttle from Pine Creek leaves at 9, so we'll be on the trail by 9:30-9:45. I've never been to the area, but I'm leaving the state at the end of the month, and I was told to see this gorge before I left, so it must be beautiful!

Are you folks hiking down the eastern rim along the rail trail and then back up to Ansonia via the West Rim Trail? I think that is what I understood from your itinerary, but I wasn't sure. And more importantly: anyone from the area have a suggestion for a good place to get a great steak after the hike?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks cuben fiber
    Insulation
    cottage down
    Suspension
    whoopie, Flyz, CRL

"skinny 20-somethings"

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    Who else is stopping by? This really must be an amazing area. I can't believe how this trip grown. It started with a few question I had in planning a solo hike up there. Then MML joined in a drew the multitudes like a magnet. I'm guessing a lot of folks have heard of this place and have been itching to get there. So a cool hike has turned into an amazing get together. Gotta love hammock hangers!

On that note, to all who are coming. I have been ill and suffering some odd symptoms recently. I was diagnosed Friday with Lyme's disease. I'm on a huge amount of amoxicillian which is helping a lot. I'm not missing this trip for anything. Just fair warning that I may be a bit weird at times. Lymes really messess with you, and I try to deal with what ever game it's playing with me with a little patience and humor. Last night I pretty much had painful lockjaw making it hard to open my mouth to eat supper, and more painful to chew. I was laughing at how ridiculous it was as I was eating a delicous pot roast and veggies my wife cooked in a crock pot all day. Smelled/tasted too good to pass up. Hurt like hell, so what else could I do but laugh and enjoy as best I could.

Anyway, just a heads up for how strange I've been acting and the reason why. It's not contagious in that you can't catch it from me. I figure if another tick bites me it can't get any worse. So trail and hammock friends, here I come!
    Deucalion, at least you got early diagnosis and getting treatment for your lymes. very glad you are still making the trip. i think in an earlier post a hiker said he would be in the area with a friend who was a first-time hammocker. he said look for two skinny twenty-some year old fellas...

oh to be twenty again - but then i would not be so wise...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatjesse View Post
    Sorry to hear about the Lyme's Disease! My ladyfriend had that a month or so ago, it was awful - she couldn't turn her head for a week, hardly ate a thing, slept long hours. All from a stupid tick that hitched a ride while we were mountain biking!

I'm glad to hear you're in good spirits, despite all, and I hope to see you on the trail! We might catch up to your group on Friday - our shuttle from Pine Creek leaves at 9, so we'll be on the trail by 9:30-9:45. I've never been to the area, but I'm leaving the state at the end of the month, and I was told to see this gorge before I left, so it must be beautiful!

Are you folks hiking down the eastern rim along the rail trail and then back up to Ansonia via the West Rim Trail? I think that is what I understood from your itinerary, but I wasn't sure. And more importantly: anyone from the area have a suggestion for a good place to get a great steak after the hike?
    We are hiking South down the West Rim Trail, then up the rail trail about 3-4 miles to Boehns Run, which leads us past a waterfall on our way back up to the WRT heading North.

Just past the Northern Terminus there's a well touted ice cream place and a Steak house that I've been told are worth hitting up. I'm doing the ice cream for sure! Ask your shuttle driver and they should point it out to you as you'll go right by on your way to the Southern end.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreatjesse View Post
    And more importantly: anyone from the area have a suggestion for a good place to get a great steak after the hike?
    I don't know if it is still open... But at one time the Blackwell Inn (I think was the name... Maybe Hotel) had good food. Not sure what the bill of fare was. But it has been a few years since I've been up there so I don't know. Businesses in that area are not always very sustainable. In any event the exact name is not important. It's not like you could miss it in the massive urban sprawl of Blackwell.

Edit: Seems to be still open. Dinner menu looks promising.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

I can relate with ya on the Lyme's, I got it while doing a VA AT section hike last year, darn little tick!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    SBD and I are planning to get to Bradley Wales early afternoon. If you are not there yet we'll just grab the best trees. There are plenty to go around I am sure.
    Rev, I should be showing up around 4:30pm, so I'll head north on the trail unitl I see a couple hammocks.

FYI, I'm bringing 5 gallons of water if anyone wants to fill up at the parking lot.

• + New Posts
  • Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast