Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Images
    Heber - those are awesome pics in your trip report! Thanks for sharing that!

2Q - that's a huge, heavy lookin' pack you've got there! And a very old HH with stock tarp?

Images
    I've spoke with Pine Creek Outfitter and order the guidebook w/topo maps. I can leave my car there while I hike the WRT. I reconsidered hiking on the mainly bike path of the Pine Creek Trail. I'm opting for a down and back on the WRT, starting from the Outfitter's.

The Boss put me down for PTO July 13-17. Anyone wishing to join me is welcome! It's a 4 hour drive to the trail head for me. I plan on arriving before Noon on the 13th and hiking out, and then coming back sometime on the 17th and driving home. Approx. 60 mile round trip.

Thanks for the great info and pics!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Assuming it is still open, and I don't know why it wouldn't be, DO NOT MISS the ice cream place in Ansonia at the end of the trip. It's right out on RT 6 at the intersection. They are used to having hikers come in so they will make you feel right at home. If you take the path to Pine Creek outfitters you might miss it. I don't know how that footpath runs as I have never used PCO as a base.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Assuming it is still open, and I don't know why it wouldn't be, DO NOT MISS the ice cream place in Ansonia at the end of the trip. It's right out on RT 6 at the intersection. They are used to having hikers come in so they will make you feel right at home. If you take the path to Pine Creek outfitters you might miss it. I don't know how that footpath runs as I have never used PCO as a base.
    Thanks! I noted this place on the photo/map on the PCO page, and was also advised by 2Q. I'll be sure to video the store and me enjoying a huge ice cream and share on here when I get back!

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Its a great trip

I did it 3 years ago. Parked at the Rattlesnake parking lot and hiked north.
    Camped at Josiah Wales (?) campground overlooking the canyon at its midway point. I went in May and the gypsy moth caterpillars were dropping poop like rain. So check with the rangers before going. You have to specifically ask or they wont tell you.

I then hiked up to the Pine creek outfitter on Rte. 6 and rented a bike with a front basket. Loaded my heavy stuff into the basket and wore my backpack. I paid a little extra and they picked up the bike from the Rattlesnake parking lot. There is a special phone there that you can call them and not pay for the call.

The next year I took my daughter and we went kayaking on the river into the outfitters. Then biked down the gorge. It was worth the trip.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    Heber - those are awesome pics in your trip report! Thanks for sharing that!

2Q - that's a huge, heavy lookin' pack you've got there! And a very old HH with stock tarp?
    That was before hammocks! I love seeing those old pictures! Makes me appreciate the hammock all the more.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape

Up and Back

Thinking of your plans to yo yo the trail up and back, you might want to just mix it up a bit and when going north again take the rail to trail from rattle snake rock up to Blackwell. From there take the Bohen trail (the old ending stretch of the Mid State Trail) this goes past Jerry and Bohen Run falls along the way. Then it T's up with the WRT.

As you head north you can take a bypass trail up Burdic run, Seimons Trail. This will even out the extra miles hiked from rattle snake rock to blackwell and give you a different path to check out for a ways.

Just some ideas.

I live not too far from the trail head. If I am free maybe I could join you for part of the journey. Dont have many hiking plans for July. We'll see. Been down there in July before. It was in the 90's but plenty of streams to cool off in as you go along.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    I've spoke with Pine Creek Outfitter and order the guidebook w/topo maps. I can leave my car there while I hike the WRT. I reconsidered hiking on the mainly bike path of the Pine Creek Trail. I'm opting for a down and back on the WRT, starting from the Outfitter's.

The Boss put me down for PTO July 13-17. Anyone wishing to join me is welcome! It's a 4 hour drive to the trail head for me. I plan on arriving before Noon on the 13th and hiking out, and then coming back sometime on the 17th and driving home. Approx. 60 mile round trip.

Thanks for the great info and pics!
    Ya know what, I'm about due for another hike!!
    Just did the short 20 mile from Caledonia to Pine Grove Furnace on the A.T.
    And I am already itching for another.
    I plan on doing a short one or two nighter in June on the Quehanna Trail .
    But mid July may be wide open for me for the Hike your talking about at the Pa. Grand Canyon.
    I'll get back to you in a week or so, but yea, I'm all for it!!
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Images
    Hobbit - thanks for the suggestion. I'll note that with the guidebook and maps when they arrive. That does sound like a nice detour to the falls to checkout.

MML - I've heard a lot about this trail. I'd be happy to have the company of a fellow hammock hanger. If you make it in July or not, put this on your to do list for sure.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Be aware that the Bohen Run trail is _in the gorge_ so camping permits are needed to spend the night. There are some beautiful campsites there from what I understand.

Hold off on a decision on the Seiman's Trail until you actually get there. The reason I say that is it cuts off a loop around the rim. If memory serves the loop has one or two really nice vistas, but it's been a while since I've been up there so they may have overgrown. In that case you wouldn't miss much by taking the cutoff. But if the vistas are clear they are spectacular. It might be worth the extra couple of miles to see them again. On the other hand... if memory serves the Seimans trail does cut out a short road walk. Last time I was on it was full of blowdown so bad I had to take my pack off. But that was years ago and they probably cleared it by now. The WRT is quite well maintained.

At Rattlesnake Rock there is an organized campground where you could spend the night. At that point you are allowed to camp _only_ at the organized sites. It is patrolled, or at least was before the budget cuts. Rattlesnake Rock is in a different Forest district than Bohen Run. Permits used to be free, I don't know if that has changed.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast