Just thought I would post this idea I had which seems to work quite well.
I got a load of amsteel and was trying to use a darning needle to to bury the amsteel and was finding it hard going. So I had a look round the house and coudn't find any thing at first.
Then found a metal coat hanger and thought this will work. Then got the caot hanger to the amsteel and saw the size difference Time to find something else.
I'm a sys admin by trade so have lots of computer bits round the house so after some thinking I found my spool of CAT 5 (Network cable) and ran off about 1m of cable and cut it. Then stripped off the out sheath, and sepearted the 4 twisted pairs. Then I separted a single twisted pair and took one of the cables, strightened out the kinks in it and then folded it in half.
I tired this a splicing tool and it worked ok, but the cord did slip out the loop a couple of times. So I put a bit of pvc elcetical tape round the splicing tool about 1.5cm from the end, giving me a decent size loop but keeping the rest of the wire togther. This worked even better.
Hope someone else might get some beifit out of this.
Will post some pics of it later.