Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Only been sick (really sick) on the trail once and it was on the AT; no home to go to.

I stumbled into a restaurant near a road crossing in NY and asked if there was anyplace nearby for a hiker to stay. A family that was at the restaurant took me home with them and nursed me for a couple of days, then gave me a ride back to the trail. Best temporary home and family I've ever had.
    ====> AWESOME! Now THAT was REAL "Trail Magic"!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Only been sick (really sick) on the trail once and it was on the AT; no home to go to.

I stumbled into a restaurant near a road crossing in NY and asked if there was anyplace nearby for a hiker to stay. A family that was at the restaurant took me home with them and nursed me for a couple of days, then gave me a ride back to the trail. Best temporary home and family I've ever had.
    This begs the question: how many times have you actually HAD a "temporary family"????

I have only done a week or less on trails, and have yet to experience anything worse than allergies (was near hypothermia once, but that isnt technically sick). I often wondered what people would do, but, in the end, it seems they do pretty much like when they are home-rest, liquids, wait. I rarely get ill enough to lay me down, but, when I do, there is NO moving me. While hiking, I could see dehydration becoming a majoy issue over the course of a couple of days-particularly if you have no one there to filter or provide water. That would be my #1 concern.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    This begs the question: how many times have you actually HAD a "temporary family"????
    A few.

When I was younger, I was an avid traveler. It always amazed me how quickly and casually people take in a stranger. I've been welcomed into everything from huts to what I would call a mansion (my bar is pretty low). You should hear my grandpa's story about being caught behind Nazi lines for 6 months and the farmer that took them in and hid them the whole time.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Insulation
    UQ homemade
    I had undiagnosed malaria when I got back from RVN in 1971. Was hiking in the Los Padres NF in California when I came down with an attack. I don't know what migraine headaches are but if they make you feel like your head is going to split open, then that's what I had. That and cycling fevers and chills.
    We had hiked in about 8 miles to a spring and gotten there in the afternoon when it was hot. I filled my cooking pot with spring water and poured it over my head which caused me to start shivering so bad my teeth were chattering. It had to be in the mid 90's at the time. I got into my bag and laid in the sun. After about an hour I was sweating so much I had to towel off. My head ached so bad it gave me the dry heaves. This when on about all night; I'd get a few minutes sleep between fever and chills.
    The next morning I dumped off all my gear on the guys I was hiking with except, I think my sleeping bag and pack, and hiked back out the way we came (fortunately all down hill).
    Took three trips to the VA before one of the geniuses there connected the dots and gave me a blood test.
    If any of you out there think gov't health care is going to be the answer to your lack of insurance: be careful what you wish for.

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I had a pretty bad case of bronchitis on my last hike. Oddly enough it didn't really bother me while I was hiking which surprised me. I probably took a few more breaks than normal but for the most part I was able to breath ok. At night and in the early morning, though, I'd have some pretty serious hacking/coughing attacks. I think my buddy thought I was going to die. At a couple of points I thought I would. Just dealt with it until we left the trail though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    During my thru hikbad e of the KT last June, i got sick from ( i think ) some bad food I made earlier in the day. while the bottom never cried out ( thank God ) I chucked up some socks, boots, and just about everything else......
    Spent an extra 2 days on the trail....one of my trail partners found a road, went into town and got me some gaterade, pepto, and some advil.....Now I carry the drugs everywhere i go, and i carry at least 4 packs of dried gaterade with me....oh and i ALWAYS throughly cook my food when on the trail....ALWAYS......

Jerry the Hiker
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock
    Years ago I had a Dr. tell me that before going into an area that was notorious for bad water (his words) like Mexico, etc. that I should take twice daily doses of Pepto Bismol for at least 2 weeks before departing and at least one dose per day while in country.

I did this before hiking the PCT in 1972 and I think it saved me. I got a bit of the stomoch flu but it was very mild.

Since then I have learned that the stomach flu is most often caused by spotty personal hygene rather than "something in the water". I always make it a point of using purel or sanitary hand wipes after toilet breaks and especially before eating or preparing food.
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I always have Imodium, Advil and Benedryl in my first aid kit. So far they have kept me going (or in the case of Imodium, not going ) while I've been camping.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    I usually get some "montezumas revenge" When I go out, mostly just the runs. B ut when i was at mt rogers a week or so ago, I woke up and puked after the first night. I was a mess, coming out both ends. My buddy and I figured out what it was and will correct the problem on future hikes.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PMSteve View Post
    Years ago I had a Dr. tell me that before going into an area that was notorious for bad water (his words) like Mexico, etc. that I should take twice daily doses of Pepto Bismol for at least 2 weeks before departing and at least one dose per day while in country.

I did this before hiking the PCT in 1972 and I think it saved me. I got a bit of the stomoch flu but it was very mild.

Since then I have learned that the stomach flu is most often caused by spotty personal hygene rather than "something in the water". I always make it a point of using purel or sanitary hand wipes after toilet breaks and especially before eating or preparing food.
    A doctor friend of mine told me about this as well. She added that your tongue will also turn almost black but not to worry about it.

Had food poisoning a few months back requiring me to, how should I put this, sit and spit. Went on for almost 8 hours. Even in my heated home I was chilled to the core. Don't know what I would have done if I were out winter camping. I guess it would have been food poisoning plus hypothermia.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast