Hennessy .... storms?

Hello,
    I am in the process of looking for two small tarps for my boys. I have a large 10x12 that we will cook and hang out together under. But, I want to get them something light (kinda like the hennessy) fly for their hammocks. They will only be sleeping in them.
    Question... what is the worst storm you have weathered in the fly that size? Will it keep you dry? No need to cook or store gear under it.

Thanks so much,
    earplug
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I've weathered storms in the stock HH fly; Florida storms mind you. Heck, Sgt. Rock rode out the remains of a hurricane (tropical depression when it got to him) under a stock HH fly.
    I've weathered a few big thunderstorms under my OES MacCat Standard too and have total confidence in my MacCat Micro, just haven't had the opportunity to put it to the test. None of those are very big, or heavy.
    Trust nobody!

Thanks Cannibal.
    They just need something to keep them dry. We will be hanging out under the big boy. I should probably give one of them the big guy and I take the smaller one. That way they would be safer. I can tote the weight of the heavy one. Just thinking. I just want to keep their pack weight down and keep them dry!
    We will never conquer a mountain. The mountain allows us to visit and with enough time asks us to kindly go back down. And sits in peace with or without our presence.
    my quote.

cannibal,
    How does the MacCat micro compare in size to the stock HH canopy? I know I can find the dimensions. Just wanted your opinion?

earplug
    my quote.

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Stock HH tarps are just fine for almost anything most backpackers will encounter as long as you set it up correctly. I've rode out a couple of pop up thunder storms here in North Alabama with mine, and never got a drop inside the hammock. I was slightly damp on the bottom from ground splash though. But nothing that didn't dry out in short order.
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I spent a week at camp using only the HH stock tarp. 4 days ranged from drizzle to downpour and I did not have any issues with getting wet. The key was that I had the sides pulled in pretty tight.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by earplug94 View Post
    cannibal,
    How does the MacCat micro compare in size to the stock HH canopy? I know I can find the dimensions. Just wanted your opinion?
    Head to toe coverage is about the same, but the hex shape provides a little more protection on the sides from blowing rain. I've slept with a down underquilt under a HH hammock and stock fly. The DWR coating on the nylon of the UQ does a pretty good job of keeping most splatter from soaking through to the down, but I'm always a little nervous. I haven't had a good rainstorm opportunity to test the Micro yet, but it isn't really that much smaller than the Standard and I've been through plenty of storms under that thing with zero problems.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Heck, Sgt. Rock rode out the remains of a hurricane (tropical depression when it got to him) under a stock HH fly.
    Rumor has it the Sgt never even had his smoke go out either...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Rumor has it the Sgt never even had his smoke go out either...
    Ya know, I've seen him with plenty of cigars in his mouth, but now that I think about it, don't remember any of them being lit.

Just in case you don't know the hammock legend, this is our Sgt Rock and his backpacking/hammocking site.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts