Polyester fabric

Not sure why I can't get off of this obsession with polyester fabric....
    There are so many good options in rip nylon, but I guess I hooked on the idea of less stretch.

Question: Anyone ever use 0.6 oz/sailmaker yd (equivalent to 0.76 oz/sq yd) polyester ripstop for a bridge hammock?
    I have an inquiry in to Texlon regarding their fabric. I have seen some bright colors of Texlon at Kite Builder, but it is only 44" wide, and there is a better color selection direct from the manufacturer. Just wondering if anyone has tried this type of material.

I recently purchased some Polymax 42-z from Kitebuilder that should weigh 1.24 oz/sq yd (haven't verified yet). This stuff is coated and a little stiff (feels a bit like wax paper), but I think should be ok for a bridge. I'm not terribly concerned with the lack of breathability as I was thinking of a CCF pad between layers for a light weight summer bridge. It would probably be better as a tarp, and I saw reference to a few folks on BPL that used it as such.

I also have some uncoated PacificTech polyester tafetta on order that should weigh 1.62 oz/sq yd (though on the retail page, RCT lists it as 2 oz/sq yd). I'll see what that is like next week when it arrives. Then I'll chose which fabric to use for the next DIY, with sewing to commence after returning from the BWCA.
    Last edited by BER; 05-13-2011 at 13:55. Reason: I hate spelling mistakes

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd be interested to see if that poly works for a bridge hammock! I made a minimalist tarp out of the Kitebuilder fabric and a couple of stuff sacks, including one stuff sack that I use daily, and its pretty durable stuff. It does seem like paper and is noisy at first, but it does soften with use.

Oh, and I think the tarp came in at 5 ounces with the stuff sack.

• + New Posts