HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers

Water filtration

I'm looking to buy either a Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter or a Sawyer Complete Water Treatment System(2 liter). Knowing that there are a ton of hikers and campers here, I would like some opinions, pros, cons, etc. before I drop the cash. Now I'm not a marathon hiker, but I like to camp and I'm not a gram counter. With that in mind, these are the 2 that I have narrowed my choices down to. Currently, I carry a 3L Camelbak bladder in my pack and that's just not enough for anything past a day hike. Please help me make a final decision.

I'm half asleep and may have posted this in the wrong section so if it needs to be moved, please let me know. I really hate night shift.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you are considering the hilker pro, may I suggest the Katadyn Basecamp. I like the gravity filter idea because it saves on pumping. Just fill it up (6 litres) and you have water for camp and then you have water for the next days travel.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    i have the hiker pro and i love it. it pumps really fast and the water taste great. i have never had any problems with mine. (2 years)
    Hops

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I have the sawyer 2 liter.. Only have used it on one trip so far {4 days) but I love it..
    I really didn't see a need for the extra bag (clean bag) just filled my bottles and brought the full dirty bag into camp..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    sawyer all the way. i've had a ton of pumps and the best thing about the sawyer is no pumping. it's fast, easy, effective. i usually fill up the 'dirty' water bag and hang it from a branch (with filter) near my hammock for extra water

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    I have the Hiker Pro and like it very much. I had an issue with the storage bag, I ripped it and I email the Co to buy a new one and bingo, a new bag was in the mail no charge. I kayak a lot so I like to take on fresh, clean water while on the go. All I have to do is toss the pickup tube overboard and fill up. No waiting for gravity to do its thing and no where to hang a bag while floating down stream.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    if your a DIY guy you could always make a DIY gravity filter and use either filters replacement cartridge with it....just an idea
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I use a 2l platypus hoser drinking system with a aquaguard inline filter/purifier via quick connectors and a platypus 2l bottle as a reservoir.

It allows me to fill my reservoir when still in my pack, and with my nalgene bottle i have a total capacity for water at 5l's(1,25gallon).

And as a total system for both drinking on the move, cleaning and ease of use, i think it's sub 10oz is pretty good
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have both. I perfer the gravity system over pumping, but if you are traveling more than camping the pump gets you water ALOT faster. When I bring my gravity filter I also toss in a straw type filter so I can still rehydrate while waiting for gravity to do it's thing.

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    My research leads me to believe pumps (shy of the $300, >16oz, Katadyn Pocket) are more prone to breaking. I'm going with the Platypus Gravity system. I started to make the DIY one and realized it's only $30 or so cheaper than the Platypus - and I don't trust myself to make something that'll survive +6 months of constant use on my first go.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast