Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Great job! I am amazed by the posts that start with "I have been here lurking for awhile, and this is my first post.." followed by a complete DIY hammock, suspension, tarp, etc. set-up

Makes me wonder how many people are out there quietly working away in their garages/laboratory just waiting to spring the next amazing set-up on us.

Enjoy your ride and forget the nay sayers - they mock us because they can't be us

Hammock
    WBBB clone
    Tarp
    diy maccat + doors
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Yeah I think I was a little bit manic and overconfident when I decided this to be my first DIY sewing project. To be honest I would never conceive of doing something like this if it weren't for the very impressive projects that I have seen on this forum.

I actually used the instructions posted by Blackgoat, who also kindly gave me the dimensions for the shelf and the footbox. Knotty helped me understand a gathered end hammock. There is a lot of guesswork involved, and detailed analysis of pictures of the bird on warbonnet's website and the net. I am quite lucky it turned as I wanted but I wasn't sure it would until I slung it up and tried it. Luckily for me there is some margin for error in this project (the grosgrain ribbon hides a lot except the bugnet, which can affect the final appearance a lot.

There are loads of members who also inspired me, Blackbishop351, 2QZQ, Opie, Shug and GrizzlyAdams to name a few. I guess the reason you get first posts with complete set ups is because there is such a wealth of info to be found here, I haven't seen anything like it on other forums. My cycling buddy who is so proud of his terra nova will be jealous as hell, so really a big big thank you to fellow members of this forum who have helped me get my feet (and butt) off the ground.

Now a more pressing question. How does one encourage a wife to go hammock camping?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock
    Quote Originally Posted by dai_mau View Post
    Hi first post though I have been reading the forums and tutorials for a while. Dangerous things these forums making you think you can make things when you can't even sew! Well it has been a steep learning curve but I have now finished my first DIY hammock and tarp. It is addictive, now I am off to make an UQ and TQ. Thanks to many members for sharing their ideas and instructions, many of which I have stolen. Please let me know what you think!

ps sorry for poor quality pics from my phone.
    It looks like you have a shock-corded spreader pole on the inside center of your tarp. That's a brilliant idea! Is that a copy of another commercial tarp or your own idea?
    Very nice work!
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Hammock
    WBBB clone
    Tarp
    diy maccat + doors
    Insulation
    work in progress
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    It is 2QZQ's pole mod that he does with the MACCAT deluxe and probably others. It was a pretty simple add on, except my pole poked through one of the pockets/holders so I had to patch it up. I recycled the poles from my old tent.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dai_mau View Post
    Now a more pressing question. How does one encourage a wife to go hammock camping?
    I'd like to hear how you fair on this one. I have been trying to get my wife to do this very same thing to no avail. She concedes that hammocks are very comfortable, but she WILL NOT HAMMOCK CAMP. Oh well, best of luck on that one.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12