DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware

A BPL Member needs alittle help fixing a HH

hey a guy over at BPL has a problem and i wanna see what other ppl think or if they know a good way to go about fixing it...
    in the pics you will see that he got a HH and it had WS already on it and in the pics you can see they were not re wrapped the right way when the guy did the mod ... the other side has ripped all the way and good ideas on how to fix the ripped side? i was thinking sewing in a channel or just bending the ripped end over and sewing it to the hammock and putting the WS behind the bed

any good ideas how to go about it... has this happen to anyone else?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    HG Asym, WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG All the way!
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Any reason not to just skip the holes and put the whoopie over the gathered end like any other hammock and heat seal the rippage? I have an hh expedition with dynaglide whoopies. I installed them in close to the same configuration as the stock ropes and have had no problems at all.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images

wrap the whole thing

It's been a long time since I took a cover off to look. As I recall Hennessy wrapped the rope around the end several times so he got a constriction like a larks head but used the holes to control the folds. I think the major mistake was trying to use the holes without the wraps. I'd try taking out the WS then put it back as a larks head around all the material like a knotted end hammock.

Here is how to do it right, about 2m 30 sec in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CorthADuXs

Here is the alternative where it's ripped out, about 2 min in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnPXR...eature=related

You might want to lash the ends like a rope whipping through the holes to keep everything in line. If the stack is tight from the hot cuts I don't think I would bother.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    It's been a long time since I took a cover off to look. As I recall Hennessy wrapped the rope around the end several times so he got a constriction like a larks head but used the holes to control the folds. I think the major mistake was trying to use the holes without the wraps. I'd try taking out the WS then put it back as a larks head around all the material like a knotted end hammock.

Here is how to do it right, about 2m 30 sec in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CorthADuXs

Here is the alternative where it's ripped out, about 2 min in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnPXR...eature=related

You might want to lash the ends like a rope whipping through the holes to keep everything in line. If the stack is tight from the hot cuts I don't think I would bother.
    yes i know it was not wrapped right i stated this...what i'm asking is any ideas on how to fix the other end that is ripped all the way

Kallorne thats what i was thinking too... i won't know till the guy sends it to me to fix it ... but i wanna get some ideas on how to go about it befor i tell him to send it to me ...
    but thats what i was thinking..sew up the rip and fold it over and sew it all together... then put the WS back on and wrap it a few times around the hammock so it doesn't go anywhere

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Get a soldering iron you're not fond of and singe the ripped sections as much as possible. This should cut down on future fraying. Then just install the whoopies correctly and you should be good to go.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Get a soldering iron you're not fond of and singe the ripped sections as much as possible. This should cut down on future fraying. Then just install the whoopies correctly and you should be good to go.
    yeah i know that will work for the end in the pics
    as i stated "the other side has ripped all the way and good ideas on how to fix the ripped side?"
    the other side (Not in the pics) has ripped all the way i'm looking for ideas on how to fix the other side

with out seeing the damage I can't say for sure but it seems to me one approach would be to gather the folds as close to the original form then take some extra cord and wrap (whip) the end that was damaged and larks head the WS onto the whipped end

What you could try is sealing the ripped part with a soldering iron (or whatever means you have available then wrap a chain link about 4/5 times around the end of the hammock then at the end bring it up through the hole (hammock fabric) then larks head it!
    As long as the wraps are tight enough it will bight on the fabric and hold, basically a constrictor knot!
    I will try and take pics of how I have mine set-up, been like this for two years and not one issue!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    What you could try is sealing the ripped part with a soldering iron (or whatever means you have available then wrap a chain link about 4/5 times around the end of the hammock then at the end bring it up through the hole (hammock fabric) then larks head it!
    As long as the wraps are tight enough it will bight on the fabric and hold, basically a constrictor knot!
    I will try and take pics of how I have mine set-up, been like this for two years and not one issue!
    thats what i'm thinking
    but i was going to seal the rips with a candle and fold over the end and sew it so you have a kinda knot at the end... this will keep the WS from slipping off
    if there is alot left on the end i might use a soldering iron to make 2 new holes and just wrap it the right way....Hmmmmmm

Here are a couple pics of my Hyperlite that only has two wraps around the fabric and has held for two years, the hole that was originally there is being used only for placement of the original rope that was tied(wrapped) around the fabric! The small black line that you see on the bottom is the ridgeline loop!
    As long as the wraps that you do are constricted as tight as you can do by hand far enough in (mine starts abound 3 inches in) it will hold fine!
    My other HH Scout (which I can't find at the moment) has the 4 wraps like I described and I started the wraps about 4 inches in, pretty much at the point of the stitch line where the bug net is sewed in/on!
    Hope this helps?!?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast