Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy Hammock Question.

Hi all.

I'm a bit new to hammock camping but am very quickly becoming an enthusiastic convert. I have a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe model with the standard asym fly but I'm looking at upgrading to the hex fly. I was wondering if anyone can tell me - will the hammock with the hex fly fitted still fit into the Snake-Skins?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Gyxx...

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    it should. I have had the hennessy with the supershelter w/o pad in my snake skins. most people use the snake skins for the tarp though and use a bishopbag for the hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL / WB Edge/SF
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I can't comment on the silnylon hex fly as I have not used one but the cheaper 70D hex fly definitely will not fit in the snake skins with the hammock. Try as I might I could not get them to fit and had to use separate skins for the fly. It worked out I needed to do this anyway when I replaced the standard suspension. Having them hung separately allows the fly to stay taught, hennessys method of having the fly on the hammock suspension leads to a floppy fly when you get in the hammock.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies.

I thought the larger fly may be a bit large for the snake skins and the point about fly tension being affected by my weight in the hammock is something I'll bear in mind also.
    I've been thinking about playing around with the suspension system; I mean if I have to carry rope it may as well be multi-purpose - and I'm sure some purpose built tree-huggers could do double duty as an improvised harness... Ah the possibilities - and to think all I wanted to do was get my achy old back off the cold hard ground...

Gyxx

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    I made a stuff sack for mine since I use a separate ridgeline for the Hex fly. It would be too much of a pain to attach it to the hammock to get in the snakeskins. By using the separate RL for your tarp, you can more easily keep the tension on the tarp as they tend to sag when attached directly to the hammock.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    You could always store your tarp separate. I started doing this not long after i started hanging. Got rained on and didn't want to store my wet tarp with my dry hammock.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I keep my fly and hammock in separate skins so they can be set up individually. If you adept at rolling the hammock and tarp and use the large snakeskins they should work. I had the safari and hex fly together in one skin until I decided separate was better.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have my Explorer Deluxe fitted with whoopie slings. These attach to a biner that is in turn threaded through the tree straps. My Silnylon Hex fly is supported by a one piece ridgeline from whoopieslings.com. One end (the fixed end of the ridge line) uses a nite ize knot bone. The other end uses a nite ize fig 9 to tension the ridge line. Prussiks with a shackle loop have S Biners clipped to them, and the hammock clips to those. Self tensioning guy lines pull out the corners.

This set up allows me to set up the tarp quickly, and thus allow the hammock to be set up in the dry in the case it may be raining.all told, it takes very little time to throw up the tarp, then hang the hammock.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    I use a Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe with the large 70D hex fly.

Everything fits together into a single set of the supplied snake skins. It was a bit of a bear at first, till i got used to it. No problems at all.

The seperate ridgeline sounds like a good idea. I suppose as it only has to bear the tension of the fly and not carry my weight a length of paracord prussicked to the main hammock line would do the trick. If I then used seperate snakeskins I'd be able to hang the mainline and unfold the fly leaving the hammock itself still rolled into its own snakeskins - that'd be quite handy for a quick setup keeping the hammock out of the way and out of the weather.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast