Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

UQ ideas?

Ok,so I am just getting into hammock camping and have a hammock and decided on the tarp to order, I figure on using my current synthetic sleeping bag, but need to look into bottom insulation. I dont like the idea of a pad, so I am leaning toward an UQ. I cant drop the money for a ready made right now but I have looked into several DIY ideas. I live in TN and right now the temps are still getting into the 40-50 range at night. Anybody have a suggestion on which style of DIY might work best for me? I do have a sewing machine and can sew fairly well. I just need experienced input. I am a warm sleeper, but dont know how to factor everything in to meet my needs.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    check out this thread.
    maybe have a look at your local thrift shop for a sleeping bag that can be re-purposed into a custom UQ.
    there are several DIY UQ threads.
    best,

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Sclittlefield's DIY IX underquilt is easy and works good. I have also converted old sleeping bags into UQ's.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Sclittlefield's DIY IX underquilt is easy and works good. I have also converted old sleeping bags into UQ's.
    I looked into the Ix underquilt, but it seems Ix is hard to come by. Do you know where it can be found? Thanks

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    this all depends on what you want Synth or down
    Synth is pretty easy to make but doesn't pack down that small and won't be as light as a down UQ ....

down if you ask me is the best when it comes to UQ's but thats just me there light and packs down small
    down can be a pain to work with at first but after working with it it's not too bad...just don't stuff it in the house LOL you will make a mess no matter if it's pre packed per chamber or not

being your in TN a good 3 season UQ will work for most of the year
    i just made a 15F UQ last night

now you need to ask yourself do you want full are 3/4 length if you want a full length i say go with down... a full length synth UQ will not pack down so it will take up alot of space in your pack

if you go with down 2.5 inch baffles should work well for your needs
    but untill i know what size and if you are looking into down i really can't help you till i know what you are looking at doing
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Did this video recently....may give you some UQ Insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    this all depends on what you want Synth or down
    Synth is pretty easy to make but doesn't pack down that small and won't be as light as a down UQ ....

down if you ask me is the best when it comes to UQ's but thats just me there light and packs down small
    down can be a pain to work with at first but after working with it it's not too bad...just don't stuff it in the house LOL you will make a mess no matter if it's pre packed per chamber or not

being your in TN a good 3 season UQ will work for most of the year
    i just made a 15F UQ last night

now you need to ask yourself do you want full are 3/4 length if you want a full length i say go with down... a full length synth UQ will not pack down so it will take up alot of space in your pack

if you go with down 2.5 inch baffles should work well for your needs
    but untill i know what size and if you are looking into down i really can't help you till i know what you are looking at doing
    I want to go 3/4 and it really only needs to be good for 3 season as I intend to purchase a good UQ before winter. for now I think synthetic will work, weight isnt an issue really, space is more a premium. I am 5' 11" and sleep in an ENO doublenest, so I need to figure out the measurements for that.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    I looked into the Ix underquilt, but it seems Ix is hard to come by. Do you know where it can be found? Thanks
    Scott has it at BWDD...http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/a...s/show/2119305

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Did this video recently....may give you some UQ Insight.
    Shug

Thanks for the link Shug, and I'm glad to say howdy. your videos are what got me into hammocking, so thanks for converting a ground sleeper!

Hammock
    10th Wonder Jungle 1
    Tarp
    Alpkit Rig 7
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopie's
    Images
    I've only just got myself a hammock and decided that I didn't like using a regular sleeping mat or even a 3/4 self inflate. I decided on a cheap sleeping bag conversion but although the sleeping bag I used isn't ideal due to the interior fabric the concept works ok.

I bought a Coleman Pacific kids rectangular bag, at 190cm and 145cm opened out (75 inches x 57 inches I think) it's shorter than my hammock but about as long as I am tall and there's a bit of wasted space each end of the hammock anyway once it's gathered in.

It didn't need much sewing really, I removed the zip which was sewn on and not into the actual seams, that made it easier as I didn't need to stitch the seams after removing the zip. All I had to do was sew a drawcord tunnel at each end and a webbing (Grosgrain) loop at each corner.

I used a fairly heavy shockcord at the ends to gather the quilt in, I was going to use cordlocks for adjustment but in the end took them off and went with a fixed length of shockcord at each end, tighter at the foot, wider at the shoulders, I used a 35cm length (13 inches) at the foot which stretches out to 70cm (26 inches) and a 50cm length at the shoulder which can stretch to 100cm (20 inches to 39 inches), that still gives a bit of room for movement and there's still good foot box/shoulder cover.

To attach the UQ to the hammock at the head end I attached a cordlock to the webbing loops and ran a shock cord through the cord locks with a glove hook free running between, I also tied the running ends of the shock cord together so that I could grab the left side cord (only a single side opening on my hammock) by 1st reaching out and grabbing the right side cord. Therglove hook just hooks on to the whoopie sling. At the foot end I tied a lenght of shock cord to each lwebbing loop, passed the shockcord through a glove hook and then through a single cord lock before tying a knot in the cord to stop it coming back through the cord lock. I can't easily adjust the foot end when I'm in the hammock so I just set it in position and make adjustments at the head/shoulder end.

It seems to work just fine although it's obviously heavy at 900g (1.9lbs) for the amount of insulation it provides, part of the weight is down to the inner fabric, a better bag would either be lighter or insulate better.

I'll try to add some pics to my gallery.

• + New Posts