WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Moral Dilemma: Whose Comfort?

My son, a son-in-law and myself are doing an overnight trip up in the mountains next weekend. I've told them we'll all hammock if they want, and they're both interested.

I have three WB hammocks: a BB 1.0 dbl, a BB 1.7 dbl, and a Traveler 1.7. I find all three comfortable, but just personally, I like the BB 1.0 best for comfort and low weight.

The dilemma:
    Should I take the heaviest setup, so they have a nicer hike? Or the Traveler, so they don't have to worry about bugs or fiddling with the add-on net? Or take my preferred hammock and let them fight over the other two?

And should I use the summer weight TQ/UQ myself (since I know what to expect and can adjust for it) while they use the 3-season ones? Or be toasty warm myself as the old dude while their youth protects them from the shivers?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock
    You're the eldest! Take the one you want. The other two are better equipped to handle the negligible extra weight.

Inform them of the pros and cons of the hammocks they will be using and help them select the gear they will need, but look to your own comfort first.

How are they going to learn if they have no experience? This way they can say... "well next time I'm going to take..." or "I won't need this or that on the next trip".

You know what you'll need. Help them make an informed decision.

Afterwards, if they don't heed your advice they'll be saying, "Dad sure knew what he was talking about last trip. Let's check with him."
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    - I would take whatever hammock I liked most and lend out the others. I don't think they will have a problem with any of those listed by the way.
    - If you know what to expect weather wise and you think the summer gear with an extra layer of clothing will work, then I would go with that. If not, I would be asking one or both of them to bring their own sleeping bags.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    The fact that you're asking the question means that you really care that they enjoy their time camping, and with you. You are obviously trying to convince them on some level, though it is their decision, to come to the hammock side (we have cookies), so I say let them have their picks. That way if they don't like their pick it isn't your fault that you grabbed the one they might have tried otherwise; and thus no hard feelings.

You may be the elder, and therefore deserving of your choice of hammock, but you have to admit that it feels so good to lead someone down a path and let them choose their own way.
    When it seems like the night will last forever
    And there's nothing left to do but count the years
    When the strings of my heart start to sever
    And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears
    I will walk alone by the black muddy river
    And dream me a dream of my own
    -Jerry

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    If you look to their comfort, then you will be comforted by your kindness, and your comfort will last much longer than one night. You will also avoid having any remorse or guilt afterward.

If you share your choice, and tell them "I gave you my best gear, because I want you to be comfortable, my sons," then you are giving them a lesson in kindness. They may even surprise you and say, "no dad, you take the comfortable one...," or simply, "thanks, dad."

On the other hand, if you think you will dwell on the fact that your trip was a little less enjoyable, then choose the most comfortable set-up. The fact is they don't know enough to appreciate the difference either way. The important thing is how you will feel on the inside afterward, and what lesson you want to teach.

As for who carries the heavier pack, distribute the load so that everyone carries more or less equal weight, unless they are much younger or not as able.

Oh, also, teach them to be safe - take extra layers as the weather is unpredictable this time of year. If they are a little cold in the hammock, they can add the extra layers.
    Last edited by lizzie; 05-16-2011 at 00:32.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    give it up. i tried to give a friend the wb traveler..... he kicked his sleeping bag and pad out of the hammock, and wound up on the ground.

when trying to persuade a new hammocker,,, give them the easiest, most 'beck-proof' setup. the weight is negligable.... 8 oz???

i'd give em the wbbb's... and you take the traveler.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

If you find all three comfortable it's not like your sticking them with junk.

Also your the eldest AND it's your equipment being borrowed so in your place I would take my pick and they can decide between the other 2. Also if they are at all interested in buying their own setups after the first nite, couldn't ya'll rotate? Everybody could try a different setup to help in deciding which each prefers.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.7DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow&Incubator
    Suspension
    BB webbing
    Hammocks are not the only things carried, so in this instance hammock weight is unimportant. Just distribute cooking gear, food etc. so total pack weight is according to capability. The strongest carries the most has always made sense to me.

I say put the heaviest one in the BB1.7 double and yourself in the Traveler with the summer quilts.

Oh, and make sure they know that they won't be coming back out of the woods if they break any of your loved gear

-Frikk

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I would wait to decide on who sleeps where after the hammocks are hung. Show them how they go up and talk about the points you like best about each one let them both test all three out before any decisions are made see which one they both like, it may turn out that they prefer the two 1.7s leaving your favored for you to enjoy.

And if they even ask which one you prefer and them offer it to you the sleep will be even better knowing that they have been raised properly.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I would give up what I wanted for the sake of the others. I may not want to initially, but I would end up there, even if that meant I was ground camping. I want to make sure those I am with enjoy themselves. However, if during the trip someone decided they wanted to try something different...
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast