Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    you might consider bringing a liner to boost your temp rating, coincidentaly, i will be around that area in sept as well, seqouia, then the emmigrant wilderness, can't wait.
    have a great trip

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    A liner only works if you're not an active sleeper... it's more a nuisance for me, as not only do I wake up to adjust the quilt, I'd have to get up and untangle myself from the liner. I've been fine without a liner.

SEKI does have a lot of trees... but a lot of the backcountry has none. And the tiny 10,000 feet up pines are so springy you may as well sleep on the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but it looks like this thread has more talk about topquilt width than any other I've found:

So, I purchased a 3 Season Burrow, and afterward realized I wanted to be able to use it on my ground pad in a tent as well as in my hammock. I'm a little worried that 50 inches of width won't be wide enough to keep the drafts out. I called Adam at Hammockgear, and he said it should be enough, but I forgot to mention that I am a side sleeper who tosses and turns a lot.

I know several people have ordered extra wide versions, but I'm not sure how wide their shoulders are compared to mine. I'm not a small guy, but definitely not big either at 5'11", 160 lbs with 22" wide shoulders.

I'm sure the only real answer is that I'll have to try it out for myself, but is there anyone out there with similar dimensions that do just fine on the ground with a 50" topquilt? Or is there someone that's much bigger than me that does just fine in a slightly wider TQ that can extrapolate how I might do?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    So, I purchased a 3 Season Burrow, and afterward realized I wanted to be able to use it on my ground pad in a tent as well as in my hammock. I'm a little worried that 50 inches of width won't be wide enough to keep the drafts out. I called Adam at Hammockgear, and he said it should be enough, but I forgot to mention that I am a side sleeper who tosses and turns a lot.

I know several people have ordered extra wide versions, but I'm not sure how wide their shoulders are compared to mine. I'm not a small guy, but definitely not big either at 5'11", 160 lbs with 22" wide shoulders.

I'm sure the only real answer is that I'll have to try it out for myself, but is there anyone out there with similar dimensions that do just fine on the ground with a 50" topquilt? Or is there someone that's much bigger than me that does just fine in a slightly wider TQ that can extrapolate how I might do?
    I'm 5' 10" and about 165lbs so I'm close to the same size as you. I just did a 3 night trip sleeping in a tent with my JRB Sierra Sniveller which is 52" wide at the shoulders going down to 42" at the feet.

I'm generally able to sleep on my back, but I did sleep on my side some during this trip. The quilt was wide enough, but it was easy to end up with drafts if you're moving around. Particularly if you're tossing and turning I expect you'd have to readjust it a bunch. I'm not sure if the Burrow has attachment points hear the shoulders but if so you could tie a length of cord between them and slide the pad in so that the quilt stays put even if you toss and turn.

Another option is to do what I did and bring a bivy bag with you if you have one. Gave me extra insurance against a leaking tent and kept the pad in place and blocked drafts.

-Jay

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Suspension
    WB Webbing/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by jloden View Post
    I'm generally able to sleep on my back, but I did sleep on my side some during this trip. The quilt was wide enough, but it was easy to end up with drafts if you're moving around. Particularly if you're tossing and turning I expect you'd have to readjust it a bunch. I'm not sure if the Burrow has attachment points hear the shoulders but if so you could tie a length of cord between them and slide the pad in so that the quilt stays put even if you toss and turn.

Another option is to do what I did and bring a bivy bag with you if you have one. Gave me extra insurance against a leaking tent and kept the pad in place and blocked drafts.

-Jay
    Adam at Hammockgear suggested additional attachment points and some shock cord too- they'll be adding that to my order- I guess if it's wide enough to go completely over me and then tuck under the pad with the shock cord pulling it tight, it should be fine then! Thanks, this makes me feel better!

I've also got some extra Ripstop nylon, i wonder if I could just take a few yards of it with me on my first outing with the TQ and tuck it around me and under the pad to make a makeshift bivy to keep out the drafts if for some reason the shock cord doesn't work...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow / Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by xeren View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but it looks like this thread has more talk about topquilt width than any other I've found:

After doing a test I felt I would not be able to keep a reliable seal around me with the 50" wide Burrow. I was able to tuck about one inch on each side of the quilt under my body. Every time i tried adjusting position or rolling over (something I'm guaranteed to do throughout the night) the front or back would shift out from under me. At 20° I'd definitely feel a draft.

Since the Burrow does not have any loops to run shock cord through (and my laziness and lack of skill to have it modded) I've decided to go the bag route. While I do have a comparatively bulky and heavy 0° synthetic mummy bag I think I might purchase the Mont-Bell UL Super Stretch #3. Seems like a pretty good compromise.

If the temps were 40° or above, guaranteed, I would most definitely be bringing the TQ and not a bag.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123