Thread: BB Impressions

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

BB Impressions

After using a HH Expedition bottom entry all last year and summer, which I loved and got me into hammocking, I was quickly frustrated trying to manage the larger bags, pads, etc. with the bottom entry. So, I decided to make a DYI top entry hammock for the winter as well as an UQ. This also worked well and I am very happy with that setup. I also liked the fact that it was longer than the Expedition (an Explorer would have been a better fit for me).
    As summer is approaching and I desired a bug net again, I decided I would rather spend my limited time in the mountains instead of a sewing room, so I put aside my grandiose plans for making the ultimate DIY hammock and bought a BB.
    Its general characteristics and features have been well documented, so I won’t waste a bunch of time on that, but will offer some of my observations.

Service: I ordered my BB about 2 weeks ago and was happy to find that it was shipped in 3 days and arrived exactly a week after it was ordered. A+

Initial thoughts:
    · The BB comes in a double ended stuff sack. Probably should have known this, but never picked up on this fact. I don’t really care for this and will swap it out with a Bishop’s bag.
    · Based on all the discussion on how big the BB is (or feels), I was surprised that it did not come with a remote for the garage doors, and shocked to find it didn’t have garage doors at all!
    · On a more serious note, I was actually surprised that most of the stitching was single lines. It is all very good stitching, but I will be interested to see if this becomes an issue over time.
    · I ordered the strap suspension as I wanted to try a different style and can always swap it out with whoopee slings later. The straps are a lot smaller (thickness and feel) than some of the tree straps I have been using. They are actually much smaller and lighter than I expected.
    I was very pleased with my initial inspection of the BB.

First Usage: I had a Scout Camporee over this last weekend, so I took it out over lunch on Wednesday to do a practice setup, make sure everything was good to go, and I knew how to set it up successfully. Setup was quick and easy and I had no troubles with the cinch buckle, either adjusting or releasing. They worked great.
    I was hoping to check its comfort level, but after I laid down, I woke up 30 minutes later and needed to rush back to work. No time to evaluate if I was comfortable or not.

First Campout: I used the BB on Friday and Saturday nights and it worked great. Setup was very easy and I didn’t notice any first use stretch from the hammock or suspension. It stayed exactly where I put it. I had two great nights and really enjoyed the BB.
    I used my DIY winter UQ and did get some good ideas for my summer UQ. I will need to take into accounts the tie-outs. They could not be used with my winter UQ and I lost a lot of the open feeling they provide.

Interesting Note: The only item of interest that I can add, that I have not seen discussed numerous times, is the length of the hammock. I was very surprised that the hammock was shorter than I expected. Meaning, how close my head and feet were to the ends (I am about 6’ tall). I was within a finger tip reach on both ends I would guess. I had made my DIY about 11’ long, so when I am laying in it, the ends are actually quite a ways from me in it.
    This did not seem to affect the lay of the hammock at all. I had plenty of room to lay on my back or either side. In all positions, I felt like I was laying very flat. It actually had considerably less "calf pressure" than my DIY. Just an interesting observation (at least to me).

Put me down as another very happy customer.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The BB comes in a double ended stuff sack. Probably should have known this, but never picked up on this fact. I don’t really care for this and will swap it out with a Bishop’s bag.

...I ordered the strap suspension
    If you want a permanent Bishop bag style all you need to do is cinch down one end and tie a knot. I'd think the double ended bag will work best for your Adjustable Webbing suspension though.

Oh and welcome to Clan WB!

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    If you want a permanent Bishop bag style all you need to do is cinch down one end and tie a knot. I'd think the double ended bag will work best for your Adjustable Webbing suspension though.

Oh and welcome to Clan WB!
    I think I was probably more surprised it was a two ended sack than anything. The sack I have in mind is pretty specific, so I am not surprised it was not included.

What I want (or think I want) is a bishop bag, for lack of a better term. I like the flat bottom on the bag as I think it helps stuffing the hammock (YMMV).

I would like a hole on the bottom that matches the suspension to pull it through. If I stick with the webbing straps, it would be button hole shaped, round for amsteel. This will help keep the hammock from trying to poke out while stuffing. It would still allow the bag to be slid to the tree end if desired.

I would like pockets on both ends (or possibly side) to put the straps themselves in so that as they get sap, bird droppings, rain, or whatever on them, they are never put into the bag with the hammock. They are also covered instead of wrapped around the hammock so they do not spread this within my pack, either.

So, based on my specific ideas, I never expected the bag to meet these wants. I just didn't realize it would be a two ended bag. Not a problem, just an observation.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't sweat it Alamosa, I much prefer the BishopBags to the double-ended sacks too.
    Depending on your viewpoint, that either puts you in good company or, you should be worried. Your choice.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    What I want (or think I want) is a bishop bag, for lack of a better term. I like the flat bottom on the bag as I think it helps stuffing the hammock (YMMV).
    That's one thing I enjoy about this forum, learn something pretty much everytime we sign in. Thanks. I was not aware the Bishop bag is flat bottomed. The pockets for suspension is a golden feature as well.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Based on all the discussion on how big the BB is (or feels), I was surprised that it did not come with a remote for the garage doors, and shocked to find it didn’t have garage doors at all!
    Than option is very hard to find on Brandon's site, I think it is located in the fine print

I am 6ft2 /285lbs and find I have pleanty of room in my BB in both length and width.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

My impressions of MY new WBBB

I received mine about two weeks ago, but have had little time to evaluate it as I have been commuting from southern WV to Pgh PA over weekends to visit my hospital-bound Father (gall bladder op for a 90 year old = slow recovery). But last weekend I took a couple of hours to decompress and spent time hanging at the Iowa shelter in North Park (Allegheny CO, north of Pgh).

I am 5-10 and 300#, and I find the BB to be wonderfully roomy. Zero shoulder pinch, easy to roll on my side, and the foot box rocks! The shelf is handy, with room for my Tilley hat, but I plan on adding a ridgeline organizer for my glasses, earplugs and small stuff.

The BB really is a comfy hammock from the get-go for big guys IMO. I give it two thumbs up!

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I hung these from my ridge line for an organizer.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Schwag pockets

Yeah, I have one in my Clark. Color matches (SOOOO important to me!). But I am going to DIY one out of noseeum and keep it snug to the ridgeline.

Jim

• + New Posts