HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Eastern Great Lakes Hang - Spring 2011 - Canoeing into Algonquin Trip Report

Great trip!!!! Stay tuned for a full report!!

I can say that the EGL Spring Hang 2011 in Algonquin Park Ontario was a resounding success. 16 Canadian 'Slingers braved rain and cold to spend four days in the boreal forests of central Ontario.

My thanks go out to Bcaron, Dant8ro, Kasuko, [o]TTeR, Dead Eye, Jiblets, BrianWillan, Entropy, Ryvr, Odd Duck, Brantwing, Entropy, Shawnh, Christie and Andrew for having made the trip so much fun.

In a nutshell, despite the moist weather of the first day and a half, the remainder of the weekend proved to be a real pleasure. Moose, 'peckers and beavers, oh my!!! Loons in abundance!! The Algonquin wildlife was out in force and our resident photographer [o]TTer did us proud!!

Incidentally, if you've been following this thread, you need to know that the Goulash was fantastic!!! A true communal effort!!!

Part 1

Part 2
    Last edited by Chard; 05-16-2011 at 18:44.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    lol, and remember to leave out the swear jar words!

Oh, and i can't remember who asked but apparently Goo-B-Gone is the best sap remover to save a sticky tarp.
    Last edited by dant8ro; 05-16-2011 at 18:30.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Greetings All

I had an awesome time with a great group of people. Even though I did leave a day earlier than the rest it was a great trip.

I will say that all hammock manufactures are well represented in the Ontario Hammock Hangers Association. There are also an impressive array of DIY creations by this group of people.

Highlights for me include, meeting a group hangers, some already hanging buddies from previous hangs, others new to group hanging. ShawnH's son, Andrew, was a very delightful and entertain person. Canoeing in to the site was a new experience. I will have to work on the upper body some more. My shoulders and arms were quite tired after the paddle out. The weather could have cooperated better. But all stayed dry and warm. The bed time desserts campfire baked by Jiblets. Mmmm brownies before bed.

I can't wait to see the pictures that the resident shutterbug, [o]TTeR, will post.

Cheers and enjoy the video.

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 05-16-2011 at 20:29.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    Cool, glad to hear you all had a great time, wish I would have been able to be there
    Can't wait to see the video!

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    wow guys you work fast! As i speak (type) Ryvr is fast asleep on the couch (since 8) while you all start the reports. I have to say As my first hang ever through the night It was an amazing time. Im certainly not an eloquent speaker so i will let all the others fill in the details. Hope to see you all again.
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    OES Mac Cat
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 winter UQ
    Suspension
    Strap & Buckle
    That was weird I had totally logged in as me
    "We have much to do and less time to do it in"

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Hi all

Can't type much due to tendonitis, but Kristy, Andrew, and I all had a fantastic time. Andrew in particular was quite sad to leave, he said he wanted to spend 4 nights instead of just 2. But it was great to have a chance to meet you all, and hopefully we can do it again!

I uploaded some of my photos from the weekend. Click here to check them out.

Shawn

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Glad to hear a good time was had. I'm still bummed I had to cancel last minute. As some of you know I had to attend a funeral this past weekend but as luck would have it, I am currently posting from my hammock from Pinery Provincial Park. I may not have gone to Algonquin but at least I am camping. Looking forward to the video, pics and posts!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Looks like your all well outfitted and had a good time. Kifuru dry tent with stove, good idea. Great looking canoes and hammock rigs. Nice to see pics of the park,,thanks for sharing.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    With two full days of rain and scattered showers on the rest, things got a little moist but “all-in” it was another awesome trip for the Eastern Great Lakes Mob! So far I’m two bucks in on the next one . Hanging under the tarps, I couldn’t have been with a finer group of Camp Mates, I enjoyed every minute and look forward to our next adventure! With Cap-in-Hand, Thanks to Chard for putting this one together and keeping it on the rails, we had a great turn out and all were accommodated comfortably!

I took a lot of shots on this campaign so I’m still working through but here’s what I have in the “Keepers” folder so far!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast