ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Just curious...hammockers in VA?

Just wondering if theres anybody local-ish to southwest VA? Like Roanoke area? I've read alot, tried some things, never really been satisfied with the way I do things related to my setup. I was thinking it would be nice to actually see someone else's setup in person and talk hammocks.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    You're in Hot Springs? I'm in Waynesboro, and you're welcome to check things out. I have to say though, I'm never totally happy with my rig either. If I had been easy to please I'd still probably sleep in a tent!
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'm not there, but you really should have gone to Trail Days in Damascus last weekend. You could have seen and tried just about everything. Still, I'm sure you'll find someone near you that will help.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    PLUQ, soon HG...
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Much further north here, sorry. Maybe we can get a VA hang set up to help you out.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm in the NRV - if you ever make it down a little farther south of Roanoke, you're more than welcome to visit. There was another SWVA guy recently that posted from the Roanoke area, so hopefully he'll chime in, because I think he's closer.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I make it to the NRV sometimes...love the cascades in july when its really hot. And I been wanting to make it to that long rail-trail in....pulaski maybe? I forget. The one where you can bike like 50 miles on the trail with a campground in the middle. Someday I gotta do that.
    I have been off the trail for some years now. Just couldnt sleep on the ground anymore. Then discovered hammocks. But by then my partner (dog) was getting too old to handle the climbs. Another couple years off...now I have a new partner, and she went went on her first outing wearing her pack last weekend. So I guess I'm back in the game. I have a functional setup but it just always feels/looks too "thrown together" and seems to take too much effort to set up.
    Maybe we should do a SW VA trip? Doesn't appear like it would be too big of a group.

Hammock
    HH Exped. Asym
    Tarp
    OES
    Suspension
    Dutch Biner
    Check out this google doc It has members listed by state. Shoot one of them a PM and I'm sure you'll find someone that will be more than willing to help you get setup! And btw...welcome to HF!
    Trailname - Knox
    LT10

My Weight Sheet

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by vballvoodoo View Post
    I make it to the NRV sometimes...love the cascades in july when its really hot. And I been wanting to make it to that long rail-trail in....pulaski maybe? I forget. The one where you can bike like 50 miles on the trail with a campground in the middle. Someday I gotta do that.
    I have been off the trail for some years now. Just couldnt sleep on the ground anymore. Then discovered hammocks. But by then my partner (dog) was getting too old to handle the climbs. Another couple years off...now I have a new partner, and she went went on her first outing wearing her pack last weekend. So I guess I'm back in the game. I have a functional setup but it just always feels/looks too "thrown together" and seems to take too much effort to set up.
    Maybe we should do a SW VA trip? Doesn't appear like it would be too big of a group.
    Did that trail on a bike -- New River Trail State Park -- awesome rails to trails ride, and the campground halfway, Foster Falls, is beautiful - right on the river. I actually did an overnighter there in my hammock a few weeks ago. I'm totally up for a SWVA hang. I know what you mean about the effort to pitch a new setup. My first hammock trip on the AT, my buddies sat in the shelter taking bets on how long and how many times it would take me to get the thing up. But keep fooling with it, you'll get it, and the payoff is great. Until I built my portable stand, I would also take my stuff down to the local park and practice, since I have no trees in my yard. Oh, and have you watched Shug's vids? My wife and friends think I'm crazy because one of the items now on my bucket list is to go hammock camping with a guy named Shug. hahaha.....

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    crappy random one
    Insulation
    blue foam
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Oh ya..watched a few of them several times. Loved em. Those vids are the reason I refitted the ends of my ENO to whoopie slings.

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    Well, whoo-hoo, as Shug would say! If you're already on whoopie slings, you've gone to the head of the class. Many of the rest of us spent years messing with lesser suspensions. Maybe we should all be curious to check out your rig!
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast