HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks

AT section hikes on the AT in Pa. 3/13-14 & 5/14-15

My goal this year is to pick up where I left off last year at Pa. 325 and make it to Delaware Water Gap to finish the northern section of Pa. I’m just now getting around to posting my trip report for my first section hike of the year, as well as this last weekend. The first trip out I hiked the 28.7 miles NOBO from Pa. 325 to Pa. 501 camping Rausch Gap shelter solo. I only saw one other hiker over the two days. Since it was my first cold weather hang with my new DIY IX under quilt wanted to stay at a shelter in case things didn’t work out I could bail if I had to. With temp’s forecast to be in the mid 20’s and with plenty of room in the shelter I went ahead and hung in the shelter. The wind picked up later in the evening but between the three sides of the shelter and the UQ I was comfortable in my hammock. I used a 20 degree bag and thin weight poly long underwear (for my base layer); along with wool socks, shirt, pants, fleece pullover, and stocking cap. With good weather to walk in the views were beautiful from the trail with the leaves not out yet.
    For my trip on 5/14-15 YorkVol was able go as well. We hiked the 24.4 mile SOBO from Port Clinton to Pa. 501 camping at Black Swatara Spring. We didn’t have near as good weather as my first trip out, all things considered though the weather wasn’t that bad to walk in. It never rained very hard while we were on the trail, just light rain to mist all day long both days with a thunderstorm overnight. People ask the same questions about the trip did we get wet from all the rain and I say yes just not in the hammock. I stayed good and dry through a thunderstorm with some light gust of wind. The extra silnylon I added to my stock HH tarp to form a makeshift beak worked well. I now call it my “Franken Tarp” it’s ugly as sin but it works. When the budget allows next year I want to get a MacCat standard with a beak but for now this will have to do. YorkVol rigged up his poncho and hiking sticks to give us a dry spot to cook and pack gear, so we stayed relatively dry at camp. YorkVol was talking to a friend at work yesterday about the trip and how we used hammocks. The guy said he runs with this guy who make hammock gear some kind of metal clips. YorkVol asked if his name was Dutch and of course it was....It’s a small world
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    I kinda like the 2 tone tarp. Unique! It seems to work, so I wouldn't change it! Great trip report! I haven't gotten above Port Clinton, yet. Still working on that. Good to read reports of this area while I dream about getting up there.

Thanks for sharing!!!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I like the addition to the hh stock tarp. Kinda like doors and you feel more confident sliding it to one side. I love to hike those stretches. I'm heading up to 501 shelter this Saturday night.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts