UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi

Question Big Industry and Cuben

I was curious if this has been discussed - but isn't it a matter of time before "big industry" (or, not cottage companies) start mass producing cuben tents/tarp tents/tarps and other gear? Couldn't find a thread specifically about this, so if it's been discussed I just need the link.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    DIY DigiCamo Hennessy Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Most likely big industry will start producing cuben shelters and such, I mean the weight savings are incredible, why wouldn't they want to take a pound off their ultralight shelter? The issue is that mass produced cuben products will still be beyond the price range of the average weekend warrior.

I don't think mass produced cuben camping items will fly as great as we'd like to think. It'll be popular in the gram weenie niche where shaving grams is more imporatant than actually hiking, and money is of less importance than bragging rights about who's setup is lightest. Understand that I'm not saying all gram weenies are this way, but a lot are. I know a few people with sub 20lb week long loads that go hiking maybe once a year at best. But they'll tell you how you should be hiking so fast it'll make your head spin. And of course having the lightest load in their circle of hiking buddies apparently makes them the best hiker lol.

It's a funny world!
    Fulfillment is living a life that makes the lives of others worth living.
    DIY is addicting and fulfilling!
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I was just sitting here scratching my head wondering why everyone hasn't jumped on it. But I guess that makes sense
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I suppose I agree with wirerat123 to an extent. However, I think the industry will adopt it soon enough. There are enough hardcore hikers and weekend braggarts out there with money burning holes in their pockets for the industry to take notice. Not like it's a massive demographic (hiking) to begin with, so some specialized gear with big profit margins isn't at all out of the picture.

Weight savings is about the only thing consumers are willing to pay extra for and the weight savings of cuben is substantial. Probably more so than when sil first hit the market and folks stood in line to save the few ounces sil offered. Industry is simply waiting to see the longer term results of the fabric at use. Assuming there aren't some kind of issues that haven't yet been realized, or some fubar with the manufacturing process, then my money says we start seeing cuben products in places like REI within 5 years.

Of course, that assumes the 2012 apocalypse doesn't get us all.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    then my money says we start seeing cuben products in places like REI within 5 years.

Of course, that assumes the 2012 apocalypse doesn't get us all.
    I don't think it will take that long. I'm thinking we'll start seeing some within the next two years. If the 2012 apocalyps happens it's not going to matter anyway hehe.
    "If guns kill people, then pencils mispell words, cars cause people to drink and drive, and spoons made Rosie O'donnell fat."

Images
    i think the non-traditional production techniques will be a barrier, the idea of having to buy fabric here and ship it to asia would be another, and the cost. it would also have to pass flame retatdency standards for shelters(don't know if it does or not)

i don't see it happening but i could be wrong
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 05-18-2011 at 11:03.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    They have slowly started using it, like Terra Nova here.
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex tarp
    Insulation
    Modded CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i think the non-traditional production techniques will be a barrier, the idea of having to buy fabric here and ship it to asia would be another, and the cost

i don't see it happening but i could be wrong
    If it does happen it's going to be made more for the mountaineering crowd if I had my guess where the largest weight savings will be realized. Plus those folks think $2000 for a base camp tent, and $1200 for their approach camp tent is no big deal lol.

I don't see someone spending $600+ to replace their Hubba Hubba with a cuben version to shave 6 ounces.

Plus it's a good point about buying the fabric, shipping it to Asia, then a change in production technique. If they do, they will likely set up shop with a US production facility to make the small production amount they will likely need to produce.

I'm sure at least a couple of Mass Market companies will test the waters.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Right now the only mass manufacturing of cuben that I know of is the Granite Gear dry Sac's and they are wonderfully awesome. They weren't cheap but super light and very well made. But even the people at REI whom I spoke to haden't heard of cuben yet and were excited to see the dry sac's and amazed about how light they were. But it's kinda like we were talking about in the Packa thread that does cuben really have enough appeal to the weekend warrior or the once a year packer that the big companies are going to make enough profit from it that its worth it for them to make. I wonder if mass producing Cuben would make the products more expensive or cheaper cause of mass production. Only time will tell.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    while I have no facts to back this up...I wonder about the capacity of Cubic Tech to produce enough material to support mass manufacturing...
    From my personal expirences with them, I doubt it.
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 05-18-2011 at 11:16.
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast