Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Web w/Dutchclips

My Hammock setup and first hang attempt...finally!

So after a few months casually browsing the forums and considering all the information that I could find, I started making my purchases. I started making them about two months ago and now have most everything that I can think of that I'll need. (not want since this is a money pit as many have said! )

What did I end up with? WBBB 1.7 DL hammock, Camo Superfly tarp, 3 season Incubator, JRB fleece top quilt, dutch clips.

Once I got the last piece of these items in, I built a hammock stand for use outside as Hurricane Hugo took out all the trees in the backyard years ago and we never replanted.

Stand completed and it was time to have some fun! Hung the hammock then gave it a short test lay. Nice! Put up the tarp. Changed my mind about having the sides down low so I took some lawn tool handles and converted into porch mode. Cha-ching!

Placed the UQ under the hammock. Cinched up the ends of the UQ. Time for another short test. While I tried moving around trying to find that 'sweet spot' I kept finding the UQ slipping under my from my left side to the right side. After a few minutes of being boggled a bit at what was going on, I remembered reading that there is a head and foot end to the UQ. Hrm, could this have an effect? Turns out that I did have the head end down by the footbox and the foot end of the UQ up around my shoulders. I quickly swapped it around. During this swap I remembered one of the many handy videos that Shug has made. The one I speak of is about getting the UQ nice and snug under the BB and during the video he mentioned a tip about having one side of the cinch cord a little looser (on the foot box side). I performed the necessary adjustments. Gave it a little try. Much better. I didn't lose the left side of Incubator switching over to the right side anymore.

All things good to go so far! Time for a night out, or at least a partial night. I loaded in the fleece TQ and settled myself in for a nice toasty comfy night. Mostly that happened, except the longer I lay there, the more I noticed the feel of knee hyperextension. I slid up some. I slid down some. I went more asymetrical. No luck. So after a while I decided to just head in and do some more research to give it a go the next night.

After checking out the forums I found information about the ridge line and noticed that it was quite taut. Both before I got in and after. So, I loosened the hang to where I could bend the ridge line a bit while I was laying in the hammock, as in some videos I've seen Brandon do.

Initial impression is that it was more comfortable however I wasn't able to test it the next night. So with that I haven't had my first full nights hang.

On the bright side, I'll get to have the first full night this weekend. Let's hope things go well with it as I won't be able to head in if it isn't working as I'll be at the GOAT ISLAND HANG in SC! WOOOHOOO! So, hopefully before the night gets there, I'll have any 'bugs' worked out as there will be plenty of knowledgeable hangers there to assist with the tweeking!

And since the motto I see all the time is "If there isn't pictures then it didn't happen"...so here are some pics of the yard setups. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    That is a very good looking set up....and lov-en that roof.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, HH Bkpkr Ult Asym , GT
    Tarp
    OES Mct, WB Sprfly
    Insulation
    leighlo,HG burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/straps
    Very SWEET!!!! I find that having the stand allows for the ability dial in the hang. Although I have trees that I hang from, I like the versatility of the stand allowing me to move it from yard to yard throughout the seasons.

Looks like you have been getting a bit of practice, as well. Your rig looks great.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    You're on the right track - awesome gear, Shug's vids, and the patience to keep fiddlin'. Don't worry, you'll get it dialed in. I've found that every part of my body laying in the hammock affects the rest of the body. So instead of moving the extended knee, try moving the other leg around, or maybe hips, or .... you get the idea. Btw, that rope hammock looks like the red-headed step-child sitting next to that BB and Superly. Haha.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    Lots of tieouts! Look comfortable though. I wished I had a shed like yours!!

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a great looking set up. I cant wait to see it in person on Goat Island.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly Camo
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    Web w/Dutchclips
    "Lots of tieouts!" - eflat7

Yeah, there are definitely quite a few tie-outs there. After setting it up, I made mental notes of how I'll be changing some out. For example, I'll not use the door end tie-outs unless using the door. When not in use, I'll have each end door tucked under it's side of the tarp and connected to the other ends door tie-out. That should probably allow for a bit more airflow during the hot times. I removed the middle of the side tie-outs and will attach only when needed as well. Just carry the tie-out cords with me instead of keeping them on all the time.

=====

"Btw, that rope hammock looks like the red-headed step-child sitting next to that BB and Superly. Haha." - griesl

Yeah, that Pawley's Island hammock in the back ground is the ancient compared to the new setup.

Hammock
    WB BB , DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    Aus hoochie, DD3x3
    Insulation
    AHE Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Nice rig that mate

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    Sorry to hear about your trees. I really like trees and must have some around my house.
    As for the hyperext knees...you could try to put a stuff sack with some clothes [jeans, fleece sweater, t-shirt] in it under your knees. I tried this and found it to make a real difference in my wbbb 1.7dbl. It gives your knees something to flex over. It doesn't take much.

• + New Posts