Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down

integrated underquilt

Has anyone here other than 3club played with this idea? Last week after the ferry to North Manitou Island cancelled several of us were standing around talking and met another hammocker and invited him to join us in our plan b activities. He is now a new member here known as 3club. 3club had something I have not seen before... His underquilt was built into his hammock. He did not sew an UQ to his hammock. There are only 2 layers to his hammock, top and bottom with permanent insulation in between. (I think down but Im not sure.) Im sure it saves on weight as it eliminates the need for another layer of fabric and all suspension components for the UQ not to mention fiddle factor. I know 3club has been using this setup for several years and likes it a lot. Hopefully he will get a chance to weigh in on this. I have still not built my first hammock or UQ yet and am intrigued with the idea of combining the hammock and UQ into one integrated system. Rather than having 1 hammock + a winter UQ + a 3 season UQ you could just have one 3 season hammock and 1 winter hammock. (Ok im not limiting anyone to any specific number of hammocks just giving an example.) Its an interesting idea and I am sure there are some trade offs or drawbacks. I just wonder what my fellow forum members think of this idea.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I believe that both WV and JustJeff have used insulated hammocks with great success. Take a look here, under hammocks
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Thanks Bomber. I have not seen that before. Ill check it out more when I have some time.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Thanks Otter for starting this thread. I'm repacking up today and plan to leave tomorrow for "take two" of the Manitou trip. I'll try to take good pictures of my setup to post here.

I find, even in the summer, I need *something* to insulate me from the night breezes, whether it was a pad, sleeping bag, whatever. By using the underquilt in the summer, I no longer need a sleeping bag or pad, and it also protects against mosquitoes biting through the main sheet.

My hammock design also allows it to be used inside out, where you compress the down for less warmth, at the cost of being able to zip the hammock shut. And for a lazy afternoon, you can lay on top of the zipped hammock, outside of it rather than in, so the insulation doesn't warm you up.

Pictures when I return!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by otter46544 View Post
    Has anyone here other than 3club played with this idea?
    Yes,

I have.

Inside my head.

It’s the way to go.
    Last edited by BlazeAway; 05-18-2011 at 10:35.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 3club View Post
    Thanks Otter for starting this thread. I'm repacking up today and plan to leave tomorrow for "take two" of the Manitou trip. I'll try to take good pictures of my setup to post here.

I find, even in the summer, I need *something* to insulate me from the night breezes, whether it was a pad, sleeping bag, whatever. By using the underquilt in the summer, I no longer need a sleeping bag or pad, and it also protects against mosquitoes biting through the main sheet.

My hammock design also allows it to be used inside out, where you compress the down for less warmth, at the cost of being able to zip the hammock shut. And for a lazy afternoon, you can lay on top of the zipped hammock, outside of it rather than in, so the insulation doesn't warm you up.

Pictures when I return!
    Have fun 3club .... We talked about being able to use it inside out in warmer weather to compress insulation.... Seems we were on the right track....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    3club, I'm glad you're working on this. All my hammocks have been insulated. It's interesting getting the bottom layer the right size and shape to maintain even loft because the top layer stretches under your weight. Down is better than synthetic insulation because it expands to fill any volume between layers, but good planning makes synthetics workable, too.
    Even my current highly experimental hammock designs (that is, not yet ready for prime time) are insulated, just to keep my back warm while I test them.

Otter, thanks for starting this thread. Let's hear from others who are doing this, or have thought about it.

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post

Otter, thanks for starting this thread.

No problem. This topic is something I have thought about and was interested in when I saw 3clubs insulated hammock. Seems like this would be a great way to simplify a set up if you are into DIY.
    Pete.

Hammock
    HB Sky bed bug free
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Aerogel mat
    Suspension
    SRL with whoopies
    I've just ordered an insulated jungle hammock from tenth wonder. Royal mail stuffed up the delivery but will review shortly.

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    I have returned from my two week adventure! And let me tell you, with the weather we had, "adventure" is right!

I found the whole experience to be an excellent test of my equipment, and of myself. One piece that performed flawlessly was the hammock! :-)

Yes, fitting the underquilt can seem tricky. I figured a maximum stretch of the nylon hammock itself might be 10%, so I made the outer layer 10% longer than the area to which it would be attached. If I managed to strectch the hammock 10% with my weight, the underquilt would be stretched taught, and compress the insulation. With no stretch, it is quite baggy.

I sewed strips of mesh not quite as long as the hammock is wide, horizontally, to create baffles, to hold up the underquilt to the bed of the hammock. I think I planned a two inch separation. It was five years ago, so the details are foggy.

Due to the tediousness of sewing those baffle support pieces, I only did one every foot. I have ideas for something new, when I get time to make a new hammock.

I'll see next if I can figure out how to get pictures in here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast