DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images

Foam underlayment for underquilt

Hey guys,
    A few months ago I remember reading about someone using the thin foam underlayment for flooring as a substitute for IX, but now I can't find that link and my searches are returning what I want. So I thought I would just ask if anyone has tried this and what luck they've had. I've been considering trying to rig something myself, and wanted to be pointed in a direction (hopefully the right one ) I don't plan on getting down to ridiculous temps, but my first hang got down to the 30's when I was only prepared for about mid 50's, so I think having something more than fleece would be beneficial.

Thanks!

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    I can't point you in the thread's direction, but I personally don't think it's a good idea a cheap one for sure but having installed laminate flooring with the stuff, I find it way too fragile to be any use, the ides is sound but the product is too weak, unless you tape the entire foam with tuck tape at 10$ a roll, at that price might as well save up for a real UQ, or DIY one, fairly easy, almost easier than taping a big piece of foam
    my .02$

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    If you have some laying around, go for it! I can't seem to find the thread either, but as long as it's in the hammock with you, or between layers, I don't see it being a problem.
    I don't know as I would go out any buy a whole big roll of the stuff just for it, but if you have it, it can't hurt to try it out.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thepikey View Post
    Hey guys,
    A few months ago I remember reading about someone using the thin foam underlayment for flooring as a substitute for IX, but now I can't find that link and my searches are returning what I want. So I thought I would just ask if anyone has tried this and what luck they've had. I've been considering trying to rig something myself, and wanted to be pointed in a direction (hopefully the right one ) I don't plan on getting down to ridiculous temps, but my first hang got down to the 30's when I was only prepared for about mid 50's, so I think having something more than fleece would be beneficial.

Thanks!
    Is this the thread?
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=shadowalpha

I have been out with my hammock but haven't used the UQ protector with the PE foam to test. I do plan to test using it by itself when it gets warmer with no UQ.

It folds down fairly small & is very lightweight

Thought I posted pics of it complete on my hammock but can not find the thread

hth

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I purchased some myself to try a make an underquilt one time. It was so thick, I ended up not using it because I scored a good quantity of the stuff that tv's come wrapped in. For the price (free) I've loved that tv wrap stuff. I'd say that for what you'll spend on the underlayment, you can actually just about purchase insultex from diygearsupply.com (formerly backwoodsdaydreamer store). You only need 4 yards @ 6.35 a yard, so even after shipping it's not much different than the underlayment, but it's known to work, WAY less bulky, and weighs less as well. If you already have the underlayment, I'd crank out something to see how you like the fit and function of it before you spend any money though. Just my $.02
    Last edited by jraffini; 05-18-2011 at 16:21. Reason: misspelled/misspoke

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    oh I have used this blue foam in the footbox of my hammock to keep my feet warm. worked good at 31 degrees

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    We've suspected in the past that footfall insulation (underlayment foam) is different than microfoam for packaging. I've never used the flooring stuff, but I've made a few quilts with the packaging stuff, and I love them. They're my go-to summer quilts, both top and bottom. My neat sheet and microfoam underquilt weighs 8 ounces and can be strapped to the outside of my pack since it sheds water. It's all I need if temps are above 60 degrees.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=deere&page=2

Good places to find the microfoam for free are lawn tractor dealerships (it protects the hood in shipping) and TV retailers. I get cold feet and I've also had great luck using the stuff as extra footbox insulation. Go to a motorcycle dealership... their helmets come shipped in the stuff and the helmet bag is just the right size to use as an enclosed foot warmer.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

Hammock
    DIY HH clone sorta
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10ish mess
    Insulation
    DIY Primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    DIY straps w/whoop
    Images
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. Looks like I'll be hitting up BWDD again. Check out the new site he's got if you haven't already.

• + New Posts