Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ring Suspension on the Cheap

Alright, so I decided to try a hammock on my next camping trip, I am pretty excited, so excited I decided to make my own hammock as well. Now I got my 1.9 ripstop, some type III paracord, some bug netting, some 1" webbing, and a tarp for rainfly.

Now I realized at the last second that I don't have any rings for my suspension (not required, but I wanted it to be easy). I was curious on what you guys thought about this idea. I have some old canvas belts with the rings for a buckle, they aren't welded so they are not super strong, but do you think they would be able to hold 220 pounds of dude?

Normally I would just order some descending rings, and I am sure most people will suggest that, but sadly my next trip is actually in 3 days so I don't have the time/money for that. Also I understand I can just hitch the webbing and cord together and skip the rings all together, which I am OK with, just curious what you guys thought about the belt loops.
    Last edited by d3k0y; 05-18-2011 at 14:41.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Don't do it. Those rings aren't any where near strong enough. The force put on the hammock suspension increases/decrease with the angle with which you set it up. You want at least triple your body weight(more if you can afford it) in break strength on ropes and rings(be careful with paracord it has broken on some people. you might double it up to get by). I found some rings at Harbor Freight that were 600lbs and they seemed to work well. But if I was going to do it again I would buy climbing grade rings. The only problem was I found them to be very hard to loosen up once you have gotten in your hammock. I stopped using them for this very reason. If you are looking for the easiest system use a Marlin Spike Hitch with toggles and whoopies. Good Luck!
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    ManCat is right, DON'T trust your tail bone to those rings. They may hold momentarily but being woken up at 3am mid flight would suck. Lots of other options to chose from for a suitable suspension. And same 2cents on the paracord, A. it is nylon and stretches like crazy and B. it's been known to snap under 200 pound for a hangers. Again lots of better and safer choices to make.

For your weight most folks want gear that is at least 1000 pounds rated for safety sake. My concern with low rated gear has always been that if someone should break even just their tail bone it would be a crappy hike out. Better safe than sore.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    edit: just noticed you are short on time...

I would suggest two things both are available on Paul's store Arrowhead Equipment:

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ategory/270327

Buy 2 chain links made from Amsteel ($4.50 EA). This would be much better and stronger than your paracord

Buy a pair of aluminum rings ($7.50 for the pair)

And if you really wanted to do it right add an adjustable structural ridgeline for $13.75.

That way none of the structural system is dependant on your paracord. If you are handy you could just buy the rings and a length of raw amsteel and make your own chainlinks and ridgeline.

My $ 0.02 FWIW

Good Luck

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by d3k0y View Post
    Alright, so I decided to try a hammock on my next camping trip, I am pretty excited, so excited I decided to make my own hammock as well. Now I got my 1.9 ripstop, some type III paracord, some bug netting, some 1" webbing, and a tarp for rainfly.

Now I realized at the last second that I don't have any rings for my suspension (not required, but I wanted it to be easy). I was curious on what you guys thought about this idea. I have some old canvas belts with the rings for a buckle, they aren't welded so they are not super strong, but do you think they would be able to hold 220 pounds of dude?

Normally I would just order some descending rings, and I am sure most people will suggest that, but sadly my next trip is actually in 3 days so I don't have the time/money for that. Also I understand I can just hitch the webbing and cord together and skip the rings all together, which I am OK with, just curious what you guys thought about the belt loops.
    Get some Harbor Freight straps. Get some rope that is at least 1200 lb breaking point to attach to your hammock. (Paracord is 550lb). Use the rings from Harbor Freight that mancat recommended as well.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you have a climbing store by you, they may carry descender rings or at least climbing carabiners.

Quote Originally Posted by Tendertoe View Post
    If you have a climbing store by you, they may carry descender rings or at least climbing carabiners.
    Agree with this suggestion, for example this store is in your area and may have climbing rings:

http://www.benchmarkoutfitter.com/stores

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    If you are trying to go cheap, you could get away with only purchasing 2 rings instead of 4 (or 2 biners instead of 4) and use the method at the 2:00 mark of this video.

To echo other's responses - I would not recommend using anything else than descender rings or climbing rated biners (which can be used exactly like descender rings).

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss No See Um
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings!
    Images
    Instead of descender rings, find a Tractor Supply Store or equivalent. They will have screw link that will carry several hundred pounds. Steel and heavy but about 5 bucks for a pair. And they will work for one weekend for sure.

The cordage is another matter. Ratchet Straps are an option but not a preferred one. Weight they can carry is questionable. Tractor Supply or something like Sports Academy MAY have rope that can carry the weight. Frankly, if you could figure out a way, some chain from a kids swing may be a route to go. At least for this weekend.

The cordage is one area where, even thought it will cost in the overnight shipping, go to Redden marine and order about 50' of Amsteel (7/64 or larger). Cost will be about 25 cents a foot plus shipping. But that is one area that I would recommend spending that money on. Watch the YouTube videos on splicing and creating a Whoopie Sling. I created two in like an hour with a coat hanger and some Scotch Tape. It is worth it.
    Help a Boy Scout Troop in your area - become a mentor.

God created Firemen so cops would have heros.

Thanks for the warnings, I was pretty much ready to just go for it at this point. Not sure why I didn't think to check Tractor Supply, but upon looking they have some some steel rings for $.99

Now I just need to call every Marine/Boat store within 15 miles and see if any of them are awesome enough to carry Amsteel in stock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast