Tarp
    HH HexFly 70D
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WhoOPIE Slings

Hello From Idaho

Hello All,

I've been lurking for the past couple of weeks trying to decide whether hammock camping is for me or not. My personal conclusion may not be the typical one for most people on this web site but, I have found over the years that camping is NOT for me. However, since I have 3 boys who do enjoy it (I also have 2 girls + 1 Foster daughter), and since I just became the Varsity Scout leader of my boy's patrol, I figure that I might as well be comfortable while "enjoying" the great outdoors.

I spent my youth actively involved with scouting so I did my fair share of hiking/camping and remember enjoying it then. What I most remember was spending time with my father hiking in the Sawtooths. I'm hoping to create similar memories for my boys.

As I've gotten older, my body has decided that sleeping on the ground is best reserved for God's woodland creatures. As I was researching (something that I tend to do in excess) the best type of ground pad, I came across a post from someone who mentioned that he doesn't use a pad; he uses a hammock. The rest, as they say, is history.

I just finished placing my order with Brandon and got a Blackbird 1.0 DL. Now I'm off to purchase all the materials to make my own Whoopie sling suspension system. After that I'll be attempting to make my own tarp, as well as top and bottom quilts. (Aside from over-researching things, I also have a bad tendency to go overboard on all of my endeavors. My wife is FAR too patient with me and my hobbies).

I just wanted to take this opportunity to introduce myself as well as thank all of you for everything I've already learned from all of your posts and videos.

Scott

Scott you will find the hammock to be a great solution to camping. I got started here in SE Idaho from a scout master who had all the kids and dads make hammocks to camp in. I now beg them to only camp in places with trees. What part of SE Idaho are you in? I am in Pocatello.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Hey Scott, Welcome Neighbor form the other side of South ID. Getting to be more and more folks from ID joining. FYI I am hosting the 2nd annual ID hang in September in the Sawtooths, hope you might make it.

Paul
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness.

Glad to hear you are taking the kids out. I have a 4 month granddaughter I am hoping to introduce to camping when she gets old enough as my daughter and her husband are not into camping ( I am trying to convert them).

Since I started hanging I have spent one night in a tent and only because the wife and I could not find a place to hang our hammocks ( all the sites with suitable trees were already taken ) and it was the most uncomfortable night of the trip.

My only complaint is having to get up in the AM to answer natures call.

There are lots of different hammocks and accessories at all different price points and the DIY route. No right or wrong, just what works for you. Try to find a group hang in your area so you can check out different setups (we all love to show off our gear). Also watch all of Shug's videos on hammocks.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Welcome to the forum! My family and I are hoping to get to the Sawtooths sometime this summer (the Missus hails from the Boise area, and I spent a glorious three years in Mountain Home AFB as a child).

Should those scouts get jealous and want to hang as well, there is an excellent thread by Papasmurf on putting together cheap diy scouting hammock kits--good stuff!

Again, welcome. I look forward to hearing about your future adventures!
    Last edited by timabababaluka; 05-18-2011 at 15:06. Reason: swapped caveman for English
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by timabababaluka View Post
    Welcome to the forum! My family and I are hoping to get to the Sawtooths some time this summer (the Missus hails from the Boise area, and I spent a glorious three years in Mountain Home AFB as a child).
    I did not know that timababaluka, small world, I grew up in Boise but have lived about 5 miles from the base for the past 4 year. If you make it up let me know, we should hang.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    HH HexFly 70D
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    WhoOPIE Slings
    Thanks for the welcome, Guys.

@ TVS: I'm just down the road from you in Chubbuck. If all goes well for me on our campouts this year (Palisades & Mt. Borah), I might very well have some people interested in going the hammock route.

@pgibson: I'd love to go to the Sawtooths again. I'm actually trying to arrange for us to go there as a patrol next year.

Scott if you need help with the diy hammocks for you kids or scouts let me know. They are real easy and cheap.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Howdy Neighbor! Welcome to the forum and madness. You'll find a healthy community of hangers and scouters here.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    You're going to love that black bird. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast