Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My First DIY Hammock

I have been lurking on this site for a couple months now, and finally got stuff together to make a DIY hammock. I got some ripstop nylon, a cheap thread injector and set to work.

I made this one a single layer hammock. It's about 9'6" hemmed up and so far it has been fairly comfortable (although I could see how a longer one might be even more comfy ). I did run into a couple of challenges setting this one up though.

First off, I had problems with the whipping on the ends, so I went to a folded over knotted end (not sure if there is a technical term for that or not). That has held up a lot better. For whatever reason, when I put a Larks Head on one end, it would slip and actually pull the whipping off.

I have been doing some experimenting with gathering the ends and think I have that about where I want. Over the past week, I have been working with a structural ridgeline to try and get some sag. I think I need to keep tweaking that, but I got it to a point where it is pretty comfortable.

Next things on the list are to work up a webbing based suspension system. I have some fairly heavy rope I got at WalMart, but I don't like it and would like something a little lighter and easier to work with. I also have to work out the tarp. Hopefully I will get this all done soon so I can pack it in the bike head out somewhere to try it out.

If anyone has any suggestions or feedback, please let me know. Being this is my first one, I am sure there are lots of places I could improve! :-)

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    im not crafty enough to sew but I think yours look just fine
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Nice looking hammock! Congrats on the build. That ridgeline looks interesting up high on the suspension. I'm not smart enough to know what kind of effect that may have on the lay. Has anyone else experimented wih moving the ridgeline up and down the suspension?

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    Well done Boone!

Theres no going back now. Sleeping in a hammock you made yourself is great.

Spend some time in it and you will soon find the mods you want to make.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0dl + DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    SPE & Sum Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    Nice looking hammock! Congrats on the build. That ridgeline looks interesting up high on the suspension. I'm not smart enough to know what kind of effect that may have on the lay. Has anyone else experimented wih moving the ridgeline up and down the suspension?
    Actually, I think this has interesting possibilities... going to have to think more about it and maybe experiment a little.

And congrats on the hammock build Boone, looks great.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Go longer next time for extra comfort.

Are you using the gathered end method from my DIY (see signature)?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Your "folded knot" is known as a sheet bend.
    Longer hammocks are more comfortable, IMO.
    Great job on your first build.

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images

Great job & welcome to the HF

Any hammock that keeps you off the ground and makes you comfy is a good hammock. The first of anything you DIY eventually goes back to back to R&D as you dial things in.

+1 on longer hammocks being more comfy. I'm 6'2" and mine is 11' long.

For structural ridgelines, their length is usually close to 83% of the hammock length. This is where most folks find the sweet spot. I can't remember where I read this on the forum, but it works.

For the whipping, it has to be TIGHT. I use pliars to pull the tail back under the wraps. This is how I did my first one, and never had them slip. You might want to try it again.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Nice job on the hammock and welcome to another MT hanger!
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

I am going to try the whipping again rather than the "Sheet Bend" (BTW, I remembered that as soon as I read the post). That should give me at least a little bit more length on the hammock. I could also try putting the ridgeline through there too, but I will have to play around with that a bit.

Hopefully the weather will be nice for at least a night this weekend so I can actually try it out. I don't have a tarp yet so giving this a shot in the rain wouldn't be too fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast