Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

My One-Of-A-Kind JRB Ultralight No Sniveller And Nest

I'm not one to gloat, but in this case I am going to make an exception.

I present my one-of-a-kind JRB Ultralight Nets and No Sniveller. I had contacted Pan in regards to buying an underquilt. I was looking to buy a used or irregular quilt to save myself some money. He told me about these quilts and I was immediately interested not only because of their unique nature but because I felt this quilt set would give me real flexibility in my setup.

This quilt set was entered in the 2004 Traildays "Backpacker's Homemade Gear Contest". They took 2nd place. 1st place went to a Nalgene ice water frig for insulin. Not a bad thing to come in 2nd place to.

Specs:
    .85 oz Per Square Yard Ripstop Nylon, Teal in color
    800 FP Down
    1.5 inch baffles (The loft looks closer to 2")
    3/4" Omni Tape
    Nest: 15.5 oz
    No Sniveller: ~16 oz (tabs added so it could be used as an underquilt)

Here's some eye candy:
    Nest:

No Sniveller:

with foot box closed

Compressed:

I ended up spending more money that I had originally planned, but I got a great deal. One of the best things about this is that I will be able to leave my pad at home except for the lowest temps. I can use it as an underquilt/topquilt combo most of the year. During the winter I plan to use both quilts as and underquilt and then I will use my WM Apache 15 degree bag inside the hammock and a pad if needed. I am hoping with this setup I will be able to reach single digit temps.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    man, i don`t blame you. i`d be tickled w/ that set too.
    i really like the color. that`s a dead give away that it was in the early stages of the JRB venture<g>.
    and the history of that set... that would make it more valuable to me!
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The weight is pretty impressive, too!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Pan told me that when they first started making underquilts Pan's quilts were blue and Smee's quilts were Teal or vise vesa. That way they could tell their quilts apart.

When Pan told me they were Teal I didn't think I would like the color, but after seeing the pics and seing them in real life I liked the color a lot.

I showed them to my wife, going through the motions of showing her how they went on my hammock and then showing her how the quilts could be worn as clothing. As soon as I showed her that the No Sniveller made a foot box and could be used as a quilt, she snatched it from me, took it to the bedroom, and took a nap. She loved how warm it was.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Headchange4U, et al,

That really is a super set.... It was built to be super light... Each quilt is fully baffled and stillunder a pound...It was a lot of fun to build and exhibit... It was let go only because my current practice is to carry and use the current JRB line.... ie no tempting others by showing off "mine is special and you can't buy one" gear.

So the trade off is that it is not near as warm as the current models, ie thicker nylon and 25 percent more down/loft.... the 1.5 inches of loft should handle 40/45.... figure double bottom at 20/25...

Bring a pad as bailout/backup to Mt Rogers as it is best to plan for single digits on that trip, IMHO.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

my one of a kind jrb

i to have a one of a kind jacksrbetter piece of gear.its is a poncho liner
    that is made like the nest.i have slept down to upper 20's using it as an under quilt using nothing else but lots of leaves between my hammock
    and poncho under quilt.i have slept down to 53 degrees using the poncho liner as underquilt and a micro fleece throw as a top quilt,it and awesome piece of gear.thanks jack neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=3462

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Pan,

Since I got the quilts I will have to make myself a larger set of snake skins. Will the dimensions listed on your site be big enough to accommodate both quilts?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Pan,

Since I got the quilts I will have to make myself a larger set of snake skins. Will the dimensions listed on your site be big enough to accommodate both quilts?
    Headchange4u, et al,

The Python Skin dimensions on the JRB DIY page are for the original PS.... They will hold a HH BULA, Original Nest (1.5 inch loft), and a JRB Tarp...
    For those with Later Nests ( 2+ inches of loft) it will still work for the HHBULA and Nest...carry the tarp separately.

FWIW, we don't recommend making them with a larger diameter and putting the Hammock and two quilts in it... We did this once an it was too thick and stiff to viably roll up and put in the pack...just too cumbersome and actually slower to case with all that stuff..... But hey, YMMV, if you want to try.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I normally carry my tarp seperate from the hammock anyway. I make them large enough to hold both quilts just by adding 2-3 inches to the measurement at the wide end.

Thanks for letting me know that 2 quillts in the snake skin is cumbersome. In reality I figure that I won't have to double up on underquilts except on rare, very cold occasions. I don't do a lot of camping in extreme cold. I'm sure 95% of the time I will only be using one underquilt.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    More photos (I took a bunch today). This is the first time I had to put one of the quilts on my hammock. Hammock shown with top cover on and gear hammock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast