Hammock
    Homemade Bridge
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Nylon Tubular

Where to Buy Down ?

New to the forum and the world of DIY. Just finished a crude bridge hammock , ready to start work on some quilts. I'm looking to buy a pound of down and split it between a top quilt and an under quilt. I am having trouble deciding where to buy from. I wish i could afford to buy from Spear Hammocks or Thru - Hiker but at or close to $10 an ounce its out of the question. Im looking to spend roughly $100 or less on the down. I have been looking through old threads and have found a few companies that look promising.

Downlite 1 pound $100 800 fp

Feather Industries 1 pound $ 87.60 800+ fp
    (Not sure if they are shipping to USA?)

Allied Feather & Down Corp (Just called and apparently they dont sell to the general public)

Wilderness Logics 1 pound $ 104 800+ fp

Does anyone have any experience/recommendations with these companies, or others that are selling 700-800 fp down. Thanks.
    Last edited by unseen6554; 05-20-2011 at 12:36.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i like Hammockgear.com i only get my down from Adam a pound of down from him is $104 but he will also pack it any way you want it and shipping is free on down and he is great to deal with
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Do the prices you list include shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    i like Hammockgear.com i only get my down from Adam a pound of down from him is $104 but he will also pack it any way you want it and shipping is free on down and he is great to deal with
    +1 for this!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    I bought a pound from Wilderness Logics. requested to have it packed in 1.24 oz per package. I weighed each sack and they ended up being 1.5oz (minus the scrim sack) I would buy from them again. The only small complaint I had was trying to get the down out of the scrim (fabric) sack they were packed in. (Down would stick to scrim like magnet) Plastic would have been easier to get the down out of.

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    We do 800 FP, $6.50 per ounce, free shipping, in plastic baggies. We can measure your down in any preference.

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by thorwren View Post
    We do 800 FP, $6.50 per ounce, free shipping, in plastic baggies. We can measure your down in any preference.
    I imagine your home/basement/shop/wherever you keep the down as constantly looking like a dorm room after a nasty feather pillow fight.

Hammock
    Homemade Bridge
    Tarp
    Under Construction
    Suspension
    Nylon Tubular
    Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    Do the prices you list include shipping?
    The prices dont include shipping. Except for Wilderness Logics which i think has free shipping on orders over $ 75.

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I imagine your home/basement/shop/wherever you keep the down as constantly looking like a dorm room after a nasty feather pillow fight.
    We do it on the first floor of the workshop, and yep, it's in a constant state of white floating things. Our shop-vac is always on.

• + New Posts