Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images

Opinions on Quilts please.

Hey guys and gals!

I'm currently narrowing down the choices for quilts and I thiiiiiiiink i've got some good choices lined up. I'm looking for opinons/insight and anything critical is welcome as long as it leads me in the right direction. (and thanks ahead of time!)

The main hanging time will be 3season hiking/camping trips. I'm looking for lightweight/compression without spending an arm and a leg. Most of the hiking/hanging will be in spring and summer.

First choices for UQs- I'm pretty sure I've decided on a 3/4 or 2/3 UQ for weight savings (and my feet don't normally get cold, also using the footbox in a WBBB)

Hammockgear.com 3/4 Pheonix looks pretty **** nice- my question on this is the 3season or the summer? Is there that big of a difference, and even if so, will the 3 season be tooo hot in the summer? (Will I even bring it in the middle of summer? haha)

For UQ's I really like the quality of these and have searched around a little, and can't find anything in quality goose down that compares in price/weight ratio (155 bucks ain't bad, ya'll). (please let me know if I'm missing something out there!)

for TQs- I think if I get a really good quality UQ, I can go with a summer style TQ like the Pheonix Summer TQ (also liking the price/weight ratio here for quality goose down)

The only other TQ I've seen that compares in weight/price ratio is the DPhammock TQ. It's synthetic "Cozy" insulation (I have no idea what this stuff is and have tried to research, some help here would be awesome- contacted DP website but no response yet). The price is what really drives this home for me, very affordable (90 bucks and just over 1lb?!?!).

Thanks again guys/gals, and any insight/criticism/opinions/suggestions are very welcome!

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastFeastCoast View Post
    Hey guys and gals!

I'm currently narrowing down the choices for quilts and I thiiiiiiiink i've got some good choices lined up. I'm looking for opinons/insight and anything critical is welcome as long as it leads me in the right direction. (and thanks ahead of time!)

The main hanging time will be 3season hiking/camping trips. I'm looking for lightweight/compression without spending an arm and a leg. Most of the hiking/hanging will be in spring and summer.

First choices for UQs- I'm pretty sure I've decided on a 3/4 or 2/3 UQ for weight savings (and my feet don't normally get cold, also using the footbox in a WBBB)

Hammockgear.com 3/4 Pheonix looks pretty **** nice- my question on this is the 3season or the summer? Is there that big of a difference, and even if so, will the 3 season be tooo hot in the summer? (Will I even bring it in the middle of summer? haha)

For UQ's I really like the quality of these and have searched around a little, and can't find anything in quality goose down that compares in price/weight ratio (155 bucks ain't bad, ya'll). (please let me know if I'm missing something out there!)
    I have both summer and winter Phoenix and like them both. I use a small piece of foam under my feet (doubles as a sit pad), though in warm weather I can just throw my extra clothing under my feet and do well.

I have had the summer UQ down to 30 degrees - though with extra clothing on. I was able to sleep, but woke up cold a couple of times. It will do you to 40 degrees easily. So your choice between summer and 3/4 should hinge on weather you will be out below 40 degrees often enough to make it worth your while? I have used a winter Phoenix in warm summer weather (low in 60's) without any problem (just leave it a bit loose). I sleep cool, so your experience may differ.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I'm a big lover of Hammock Gear quilts. I have both the 3 season incubator and burrow and Summer phoenix and burros quilts and love all of them. I really like the 3/4 length find it to be just the right size for most occasions. My question is do you sleep hot or cold? Do you plan on getting over stuff or not? What are your expected high temps and low temps? I wanted to get away with only 2 quilts as well and that was 6 quilts ago . You could get away with a lighter weight TQ in warmer weather with a heavier UQ but again it all depends on how cold/hot you sleep.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the insight guys!

For right now the lows are above 55F and through the summer even higher. I can look at a heavier weight TQ for the winter when it arrives . I kind of figured I might end up needing 2 TQs as temps change (hence the cheap one for summer right now haha). I would like to buy one high quality UQ and be done with it year-round (probably no winter hanging). I would say I'm an average sleeper, usually with a fan on near my bed at home in all seasons except winter and part of fall. The lowest temps I would probably be hanging in are around 40F, and wouldn't mind extra clothes in that kind of temperature. Wasn't planning on any overstuff, but maybe an ounce or 2 wouldn't hurt and isn't that expensive.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    There was an active discussion recently with dphammock at this thread which should help you decide.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=dphammock

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

For right now the lows are above 55F and through the summer even higher. I can look at a heavier weight TQ for the winter when it arrives . I kind of figured I might end up needing 2 TQs as temps change (hence the cheap one for summer right now haha). I would like to buy one high quality UQ and be done with it year-round (probably no winter hanging). I would say I'm an average sleeper, usually with a fan on near my bed at home in all seasons except winter and part of fall. The lowest temps I would probably be hanging in are around 40F, and wouldn't mind extra clothes in that kind of temperature. Wasn't planning on any overstuff, but maybe an ounce or 2 wouldn't hurt and isn't that expensive.
    If you are staying above 40 degrees, get an ounce overstuff and go with the summer Phoenix - that, and some extra clothes in case the temps go lower than expected, should do you.

For the TQ you can always use a sleeping bag. My 3-season bag is a 30 degree down bag with the zipper removed. You can often find good bags on Craigslist for a decent price.

I have a thin synthetic quilt I use for summer weather. I suspect its something like what dp is offering. Mine is good to about 50 degrees and I use it when the weather is predicted to be warm enuf I should need no quilt, but want something just in case.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images

Ive taken my summer quilts with no over stuff down to 35 in skivies and a t shirt. Any thing below 35 I use my 3 season set. If you add cloths to you summer set I'm sure you could take them lower.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    You should also take a hard look at the Jacks-R-Better Mount Washington 3 Convertable. It's a 2/3rds under quilt when you want it and a full lenght under quilt when you need it. I use mine all year long, in the winter I supplement it with a pad. I've been down to -11F that way.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Awesome, thanks guys! I'm thinking summer Pheonix with an ounce of overstuff to be looking very tasty! I currently have a synthetic 30F bag from Marmot. It's plenty warm, but doesn't compress well and weighs over 3 lbs (UGH!!!!). So that will get sold once I get a good quilt setup . Any more opinions/insight welcome!

Hammock
    DIY 1.5S
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamba
    Insulation
    EE Revel., HG Inc.
    Suspension
    Hoverboard System
    Images

another option

HG UQ's are nice, but since you asked for other options...a forum member here, Leighlo, has pretty good pricing on a 2/3 length 40 degree UQ - $120. You can find it here. I've had plenty of people vouch for the quality of her work. I found her site when I was looking for 3 season UQ's.
    Last edited by catalyst; 05-20-2011 at 12:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast