Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Try laying in the hammock before a footbox is installed and have someone take measurements for you. The ideal dimensions will change depending on how you lay.

On my next hammock I will most likely do the above and pin in the footbox prior to sewing.
    AT 2011, PCT 2012, LT 2013, WT 2013, JMT 2014, TRT 2014, WT 2014, AZT 2015, PCT 2016, CT 2017, MSR 2017, GET 2018, GDT 2018, TRT 2018, JMT 2018, MRT 2019, CDT 2020/2021
    My trail journals, tips, interviews - http://longdistancehiker.com (Trail Name 'Beardoh')

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Making one side longer than the other will work to make both sides the same if you add the length taken by the footbox triangle.

The footbox does not affect the flatness of the hammock. I keep seeing this misconception on every thread about footboxes. Like JohnSawyer said in a previous post it is a piece added to attach the bug net.

It will however affect how you lay in the hammock. The bigger the footbox the longer the edge sewn to the hammock body and the farther away from the hammock edge your feet will lay. The smaller the footbox the less edge sewn to the hammock body and the closer you the hammock edge your feet will sit.

The perfect footbox is sized so the point of the triangle falls exactly where your feet would fall in the sweet spot of your hammock. So lay in your hammock, find said sweet spot. Mark spot and use the measure from there to your hammock edge as one of the footbox sizes. Then wallah you have a custom made footbox that fits you and your new hammock.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Sorry Chop, I should have checked out the second page. I said basicly exactly the same as you did.

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Making one side longer than the other will work to make both sides the same if you add the length taken by the footbox triangle.
    To do this, I assume you would have to cut the hammock body asym as SwampSloth showed in the drawing?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    So Troy have you put this theory into practice yet?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    In my latest hammock, I made the triangle too big, which shortened the side too much. So I pulled 2/3rds of it out and cut the bottom out of the triangle. It's now a trapezoid. Works great.

The only downside I see to adding a footbox is it limits your entry to one side. Knotty figured out how to fix this by adding a length of shock cord to one edge, effectively making a flexible footbox.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    In my latest hammock, I made the triangle too big, which shortened the side too much. So I pulled 2/3rds of it out and cut the bottom out of the triangle. It's now a trapezoid. Works great.

The only downside I see to adding a footbox is it limits your entry to one side. Knotty figured out how to fix this by adding a length of shock cord to one edge, effectively making a flexible footbox.

John
    Would you have any pics? I would love to see the trapezoid. I've ripped out my large triangle as well when the same thing happened, and I've been mulling solutions over, including other shapes, ever since. I'm shooting for a decent foot box without a guitar-string-tight side.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I may be missing something here, but when I look at my WBBB in the footbox area, the hammock "body" or "bed" is perfectly symmetrical, basically the same shape as the WB Traveler.

The "foot box" is additional fabric ABOVE the hammock "bottom" or "bed" that mitigates the distortion that would be applied to the upper portion of the hammock (where the netting connects) when lying fully diagonal. When I'm in my Traveler lying diagonally, my feet are right up to (and sometimes over) the outside edge of the hammock. Of course since I'm 6'5" tall, that's easy for me to do!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I may be missing something here, but when I look at my WBBB in the footbox area, the hammock "body" or "bed" is perfectly symmetrical, basically the same shape as the WB Traveler.

The "foot box" is additional fabric ABOVE the hammock "bottom" or "bed" that mitigates the distortion that would be applied to the upper portion of the hammock (where the netting connects) when lying fully diagonal. When I'm in my Traveler lying diagonally, my feet are right up to (and sometimes over) the outside edge of the hammock. Of course since I'm 6'5" tall, that's easy for me to do!
    Nope, you're not missing a thing. On a hammock without a net, the footbox just keeps your feet in. The hammock I described has a net. (ok, the footbox keeps your feet off the net, too...)

I used to lose my TQ overnight in my netless hammock. As I shifted, it would hang over the edge and eventually slide out of the hammock...

I'll see if I can get a pic tonight....
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post

You are absolutely correct. However, in my DIY hammock, the dimensions of my triangle shortened that side too much - as a result, the fabric above the hammock got too tight, to the point that I was concerned it might rip. It was obviously the wrong dimensions (or shape?) to allow that side to be shortened enough to keep the footbox shape, but to not be so short that the side fabric was stretched too tight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast