Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images

O.K. now onto the tarp suggestions!

Okie dokie, now that I've got my hammock system (WBBB) and quilts (Crowsnest tq/uq) picked out, it's time for the tarp system!

The main goal here is definitely light weight, that's a big concern for me. The WBBB weighs about 1.5-2lbs depending on which hammock chosen (haven't decided on DL 1.0 or 1.1), so I'm really trying to stay under 10-11oz for the tarp. Cost is also a concern, therefore I believe sil-nylon is the way to go for max benefits.

As far as coverage goes, I'm thinking minimalist to save on weight. Most of the tarps out there will do with coverage. All I need is to cover the tarp and my boots and rain jacket lying underneath (my pack is always on a bear line with a rain cover on).

So far I have a few good quality tarps picked out, any info on performance and/or preference is more than welcome. Also any other tarps I should be considering (in the same ballpark of weight/cost).

Possible choices so far:

OES MacCat Micro- at only 7.4oz and 65 bucks, it looks pretty **** nice (120x60)

Arrowhead Shangri La- 11oz (a little heavy) 115 bucks (a little pricey) but looks like a high quality tarp

Warbonnet Asym Diamond- 132x100, 7.5oz and 75 bucks, nuff said

So far the Warbonnet seems like the winner so far. Max coverage, nearly identical weight (and on the low end at that!) and definitely a great price. The big drawback is the backorder status (it's gonna be a while until I can afford it, so maybe it will work out well)

Thoughts?

Happy Hangin'
    Ben

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    If you haven't yet seen these tarps in person, I'd recommend going to a large hang to check out others tarps. Some people feel comfortable with the micro and asym tarps for 3 season. I agree for most the time but they could potentially limit your time out of the year you can get out.

I'd rather get out in snow, storns, etc. With an extra 3-5oz than not get out at all. But some feel different.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    yeah i'd say asym diamond from wb.
    plus only 2 tieouts, not 4 like the rest of your choices. that will reduce weight.

i still believe spinn to be superior to sil, but thats my opinion.

if money grew on the trees i hang my hmmk from... i'd go with a spinn maccat standard from oes. i have a micro... its micro. but definitely covers well. better than the hh napkin.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Yeah spinn ul does look mighty tasty, but it's almost double the price for the same tarp... just not economical in my situation (saving to move to portland, OR).

On my last venture i was trying a completely new setup (and it didn't go well, but still had fun of course) GT UL hammock, HD GT straps, and a wally world 5x7 tarp. The tarp covered... barely, but kept me dry, so I think I'll be ok with the 120x60ish range and up.

When our group plans trips, we pick a week, and watch the weather accordingly (sometimes you just can't avoid the rain in east TN). I try to stay out of snow as much as possible... I was born in FL, so warm weather is my thing.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    cool.. well it rains a lot here--- i saw my buddies uq get soaked on our salmon river hike, he was using a stock hennesey asym tarp.

the micro would probably serve you well if you want to shave oz.'s.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Snipe
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow/Greylock3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The Micro is very nice. Small and light with incredible views from your hammock. I would also recommend the Standard in Spinn if your budget allows. Good luck! lots of tarps to choose from.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Be patient and get one on here used. There are great deals on tarps here. That's why I keep buying them.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    If you are going to end up in Oregon I would go with the micro or even the standard. From what I have read, I just think the added weight and coverage to be worth it for the Pacific NW.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    East TN gets the same avg rainfall as Portland, Or. It's just compacted into one teeny tiny rain season here in TN. I'll take a look at the standard again, seems to be fairly lightweight for the added coverage.

I haven't thought about my UQ getting soaked... I guess the rain would be coming in from the side if the wind was blowing hard enough (or as Forrest Gump would say, it was coming up from the ground!).

My "goal" is get get below an 8lb base weight for the "big four". My current pack is a Deuter (friggin love that thing, dialed in perfectly) which weighs almost 3.5 lbs. It's a 65+10 and is for long trips, will invest in a 40+10 later on, which should shave some weight.

Pack- 3.5
    WBB- 1.5-2
    TQ/UQ- 1.6
    Tarp- ?

7.1ish so far, doesn't leave much room! haha.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    have you thought about contacting gargoyle to see if he has something laying around that might work for you? if not, he'll build one to your specs.

i think you probably want big mambajamba size. that way you're not overloaded with extra but you have enough to cover you in 95% of all weather...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast