DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings

DIY vs. Single Nest Eno

I made my first DL 1.1 oz gathered end hammock a couple of weeks ago and Ive been showing it off to everyone I know since. My wife has been on a couple of overnight hikes with me in the past and her biggest complaint is how terrible it is to sleep on the ground. After she hung out in my hammock for awhile she decided that a new hammock was in her future. Earlier today I went out and picked up a single nest ENO hammock for her and a Dry Fly rain tarp for my setup. I rushed back to the house to set it up for her to try out and was sadly disappointed when I got it hung. I weigh right under 200 lb and the amount of, for a lack of better terms, bounce it had was frightening. Neither of us felt secure in it. The second thing that I felt was lacking was width. My DIY hammock started with a width of 66 inched and I think had a finished width of around 62. I didnt bother to measure the ENO but it just didnt have enough. I felt squished and couldnt manage to get enough angle to lay out as well.

Needless to say shes asked me to return it and to make her one. Which all in all is good for a couple of reasons. I enjoy making things. She can have the actual colors she wants rather than having to choose from what they had at the store and lastly its slightly cheaper.

For those of you who roll with eno hammocks let me just say that Im not bashing you or the eno brand. Ill be keeping the tarp I picked up thats made by them. Im just surprised that something DIY that I of all people made is more comfortable than a commercial product.

Thanks for listening to my opinion and I would be glad to hear what you have to say.

Steve-O

p.s. Please let me know if you have had any experience with the eno tarp as well.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have a single and actually I like it. I am 5'8" and ummmm180 now...
    Don't remember how wide it is but it sleeps well.

I would go with a diy rig though. You can have it the way you / she wants it like you said.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    I've always felt more secure with things I made. I think part of it(for me at least) is knowing how it was put together.

Great that you can make the perfect hammock for your wife now though.

Hammock
    DIY DL Gathered End
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Insulation
    Mummy Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Im out in the hammock under the new tarp as I type this on my phone. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts because its storming pretty bad but I haven't felt a raindrop yet.

Steve-the-back-yard-camper-O

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've slept overnight in a single nest and thought it was ok but a double nest is more comfortable. Actually I modded my original double nest by cutting off the excess fabric making it narrower but not as narrow as a single nest. Its now about 65 inches wide, similar to your DIY. Its only 10 inches wider than a single nest but it makes a difference for sure.

The parachute nylon definitely feels different than 1.1 nylon. I always say the ENO's are good for lounging and sitting and laying in different positions when reading or chilling but 1.1 feels better for sleeping overnight.

I had an ENO tarp and thought it was good but sold it because weight was a factor for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Noah 9 so far
    Insulation
    30* bag as peapod
    Suspension
    Soon to be whoopie
    Images
    I made my first hammock a few years back and before I bought my HH. Once the hennessey got here, it got all the love, but I would hang in my DIY in the backyard and around camp frequently. Just never slept in it overnight.

I do like the hennessey, but recently noticed how comfortable my DIY is so I picked up an ENO bugnet and took it on my last trip.

I nailed it the first try when I made this hammock. Whipping is just right. Length/width is just right for me. I love it and was soooo much more comfortable in it than my HH. Might also be that I can pull my sleeping bag on it like a pea pod instead of bringing pads in it.

Hammocks are not rocket science, and DIY makes it easy to custom fit it for you and the way you lay. The only real advantage of the brand name hammocks in my mind are the integrated/included bugnet and tarp.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    diy cat cut
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Started with an eno, then made one for a friend, and to have another for me and my daughter to hang in the yard. The DIY was going to be for my daughter/friend, but she scoffed at the color. She now hangs in the orange eno, and I in the DIY. I've decided that my friend will get the eno on our section hike too. Gotta love the ability to re-whip the DIY to get to the sweet spot. I think the 1.1 feels nicer too.
    It's better to be lucky, than good!

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I started with an ENO SN. I have since made 2 gathered end DIY hammocks, 1 with 1.9 oz ripstop from Joanns, the other from 1.5 oz ripstop from BWDD. I then bought an ENO DN. Two weekend ago, I used the DN. Then last weekend I went hiking with the scouts and used my DIY 1.9.

After these couple of campouts, I love the DIY 1.9 the best. This is of course just my .02
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

• + New Posts