WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips

Goat Island Report

Another great time It was fun to see the kids out there despite the water being much more refreshing then what we experienced last year. A very laid back scene for this event which is always a nice change of pace. Temps were a bit warm during the day but that was what we were hoping for so that we could enjoy being in the water. Thanks to Swampfox for bringing his ski boat and providing shuttle service and play time in the lake with the tubes and water skis. Speaking of Swampfox, for the record, if you ever get a chance to do a hang with him, just clear out and watch. I have seen some pretty elaborate setups, not just hammock & tarp, but the WHOLE deal! I honestly was looking for to power cord for the coffee pot he had set up. This guy does not shy away from preparing his menu just because he is in the woods.

Thanks goes to Chickenwing for securing the island and "lugging" over lots of gear to ensure we had everything. He's got some future hammockers coming along in his two daughters, Elizabeth and Addison, although I think a few layers of "X" would suffice for Addison to make her a waterbed. She loved being in the water. ChickenWing also brought along his friend Jason (ok, some call him Casey...) and his daughter Maya who was on her first camping trip. Now I did not catch Maya's age but if I had to guess I would say 4 . Definitely a show stealer there. Now Jason... ok, Casey and Maya were ground-dwellers in a 2-man tent but I hear Maya was wanting to have a sleepover in her tent with everyone. Casey was a great performer as well telling "spooky" campfire stories on Friday evening for the kids, what a great Dad.

It was good to finally meet Shrek as we had a good time sharing background information while waiting for Swampfox to arrive. I really think he had the best site right on the point of the island (Campsite #2) with an open view of the sunrise...and there's no way to miss it while sleeping in his spacious SB.

Also got to meet WildCard on Saturday, a shorter time on the island but fine fella indeed. Did not get a chance to see his setup but I believe he was in prime real-estate with Shrek. WFR aslo should up on Saturday a few hours behind WildCard. Getting the 1 night "Get-out-of-jail-for-free" card, he made the trip over to enjoy Sat nite dinner, campfire, and then made the early shuttle on Sun morning to get back home. True hammocker even if it is only for a short while.

My family arrived Saturday morning with my 2 girls (BugBait and Lila) and my wife (Allyson), as well as my brother-in-law Skip and his 2 girls and his wife. My girls stayed in their HH Exped and Allyson debated long and hard to either return Saturday evening to her mom's place (on the lake) where there is A/C, bathrooms, and a prepared breakfast waiting for her but she opted to stay on the island. Hard decision for her but I am proud of her for staying with us. My in-laws joined us for dinner Saturday evening. . .

Speaking of dinner.... WHOOOOO BUDDDDDY !

It was noted that Saturday at 6:00 pm was supposed to be "Judgement Day". Surely it must have been. LowFrogBeaufortMoreCountryBoilStew (last year's joke...) or what is commonly known as a Low Country Boil (my regards to those that call it Beaufort Stew, Frogmore Stew, all the same thing...). Another HEAPING pile of pure goodness. Thanks to all for their contributions and my apologies for leaving behind the cocktail sauce. Something always gets left behind just wished it wasn't the cocktail sauce . After dinner, there was a consensus that we all had died and we were in heaven. Swampfox prepared 2 dutch oven desserts . One was a blackberry cobbler and the other was a peach upside down cake. Here is where I got a chance to redeem myself from the cocktail sauce mishap. . . Thanks GRAM (mother-in-law) for bringing over the vanilla ice cream for topping off the desserts. Not sure if a final decision was ever made to which dessert was better but I had both and my verdict is . . .

Now, I am not one to take pictures, never been my thing, but others have posted pics in the trip planning thread already. Hopefully they'll catch this thread and link their pics in here. A great time was had by all and we look forward to doing it again.

P.S. . . . I always learn something new. Note to self: As swell as a guy Swampfox is, always turn down his offer of coffee in the evening if you want to sleep through the night . Coffee with Swampfox ONLY in the morning .
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey Muskrat,

Sounds like a great weekend had by all, thanks for posting, looking forward to the pics.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Happy for you Muskrat! Looks like you pulled off a winner
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Happy for you Muskrat! Looks like you pulled off a winner
    It was definitely a good hang and you guys were definitely missed. Could have used you and HB to help knock down that pile of "stuff" Saturday night. It was a great weekend for lounging in the lake. . . once you acclimated
    “He doesn't know the meaning of the word fear, but then again he doesn't know the meaning of most words”
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    What a weekend!
    Good times with families and friends.

It was great to reconnect with Muskrat, Skip, WFR and families.
    First time hanging with forum members, Chickenwing Wildcard1109 and Shrek.
    I don't plan for it to be the last.

I was introduced to the "Low Country Boil" and it did not disappoint.
    Muskrat did a great job preparing and cooking.
    I didn't have pictures of the food but others did.

And yes, Muskrat is my HERO!
    I've been cooking with Dutch Ovens since Buddha was a baby and it never fails, after it's gone, someone says... Boy, that sure would have been good with ice cream. This time, it was said just a few hours early. Muskrat picks up his phone and makes the call. His family, GOD bless 'em, brought vanilla ice cream to the island and we put it on the Blackberry Cobbler and Peach Upside Down Cake. I was about to dance.

Temps in the evenings were very nice for sleeping. Daytime was a little warm, well up in the 80s.
    We spent a lot of time on the water.
    Here are a few pictures.

Muskrat

Casey and Maya, Chickenwings daughters,Kryptonite and Addison

Chickenwing with Addison

Kryptonite

Muskrats wife Allyson in the water, Bugbait getting up on skis

Chickenwings dog, Penny loved the water

You give Chickenwing the camera and he sneaks in one of these.

Surrounded by beauty

Required hammock shot.
    WBBB and Speer Snugfit

Last edited by swampfox; 05-23-2011 at 20:10. Reason: added picture
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WB XLC Blackbird double 1.7, NANO 7
    Tarp
    WB Cammo Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yetti & Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Looks like you guys had a ball! I am thinking strongly about next year.
    If you see me on the trail...DON'T YELL!...DON'T BAIL!... Its just your BOY, Camomeleon!!!

www.camomeleon.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/XtremeKatfishn

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post

Surrounded by beauty

What? Surrounded by beauty? Really? Which picture does this caption go with?

It was a GREAT trip! I am so glad we were able to make this hang. It was an awesome trip! As soon as I get a chance I am going to post my pictures.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    What? Surrounded by beauty? Really? Which picture does this caption go with?
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Burrow,Yetti,WInc
    Suspension
    webbing/Dutchclips
    Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Had that been been a pic of SwampFox with his desserts, I know which one I would vote for!
    - Bobby Bowden

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
    Had that been been a pic of SwampFox with his desserts, I know which one I would vote for!
    Iwas thinking the same thing
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast