Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    This is cool. I ended up with a tarp with a diag. seam but it was totally by accident...

I had a rectangle tarp with cat cuts but it was too short (Length-wise... nottoo short from the ridge line down to the ground) for one of my hammocks, so I just turned it 1/4 turn so it would be long enough.

I didn't have any issues that night, but it was only one night calm and no wind but when I got home.... (I know I know...) I scrapped it for stuff sacs... (I cringe at the thought) but now I gotta gotta gotta make a hex tarp. I have some 1.1 rip stop -I think- here and it is to stretchy for my taste and was going to use it for stuff sacs but now I may have to make me a hexi-tarp.

Thanks for posting this. My tarp is about 12' by the standard 60" So I am off to Walgreens for some graph paper. I may have to find my old copy of AutoCAD and crank 'er up and draw it scale.

I love the pics so far.

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Convert2010

If you have the width of your fabric and want to do the full cowabunga tarp like I did, i.e. using all the fabric, I'd be glad to run some numbers for you.

By the time I figured out how to do it well, I had gotten pretty proficient at it...
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Convert2010

If you have the width of your fabric and want to do the full cowabunga tarp like I did, i.e. using all the fabric, I'd be glad to run some numbers for you.

By the time I figured out how to do it well, I had gotten pretty proficient at it...
    Saaa Weeet... Thanks

Like I said.. I made a hammock but it was too stretchy for me.... so I have @" channels on each end so Let me cut those out and re-sew the ends and I will let you know my final tarp Dims. I would like to see what you come up with.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Ladies & gentlemen:
    This has been an instructive series.
    That includes documentation of false starts and the craft project for 5th-grade boys -- collecting artificial boogers the way a noodle maker creates spaetzle.
    Well done, all.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Down Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    See, now you've gotten me in trouble. When the material and grosgrain I ordered today for this show up in a couple of days, how am I supposed to explain the need for yet another tarp?
    Big *** Boys
    Lay In
    Big *** Hammocks

Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Convert2010

After thinking about it, I decided to use that fabric for an U/Q, I had an older quilt that my camping partner sewed some ripstop on top of the original fabric.
    It was bulky and didn't compress too well.

I raped the quilt of all its down and made my own.

BUT

I did manage to procure some left over Tyvek from where a home owner was replacing their siding. It is a 9' long tube with about (and I am estimating here) 10-15' left on the roll.

So, what can you do with 9' wide fabric? I am working on a design now. Once I get something worked out I will make it and then find a way to dye it so I don't stand out like ground dweller at a sanctioned hang.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    9' wide??? What can't you do with that?

Dude, if you have 9' wide tyvek that's long enough, just cut a hex out of it and tie it up.

Seriously, you can just take a 9'x9' piece and cut two corners off. The diagonal will be your ample 12'8 3/4" ridge line and you can make the width 7 to 8+' depending on what you decide. Perfectly diagonal cuts and no seams.

Is that what you want?

hfg

Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    After thinking about it, I decided to use that fabric for an U/Q, I had an older quilt that my camping partner sewed some ripstop on top of the original fabric.
    It was bulky and didn't compress too well.

I raped the quilt of all its down and made my own.

BUT

I did manage to procure some left over Tyvek from where a home owner was replacing their siding. It is a 9' long tube with about (and I am estimating here) 10-15' left on the roll.

So, what can you do with 9' wide fabric? I am working on a design now. Once I get something worked out I will make it and then find a way to dye it so I don't stand out like ground dweller at a sanctioned hang.
    Last edited by hppyfngy; 06-30-2011 at 10:26.

DUDE!!! I could hang a double hammock under that..... that is AWESOME!!!
    thanks. A few cat cuts and I am there.
    Thanks again.

I will work on that next week when I will have some time.

I figure a 5' Rad on the small cat cuts.... wha'da ya think? That will give about a two" off-the-line cat cut.

I just whooped it in there, I don't have the formula to figure it perfectly, and I may just hang it on the wall and use the string method.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    I figure a 5' Rad on the small cat cuts.... wha'da ya think? That will give about a two" off-the-line cat cut.

I just whooped it in there, I don't have the formula to figure it perfectly, and I may just hang it on the wall and use the string method.
    I'm not cat cut guy. I don't really know.

Maybe somebody else will chime in but you might just search for that or start another thread with that question.

Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast