WBBB 1.7 DL & Switchback
    Tarp
    Mega Ogee & OES 4S
    Insulation
    Way too many
    Suspension
    WBBB Web Strap

West Yellowstone, MT Area?

I am trying to put a trip together to West Yellowstone the beginning of September. All of the other times I have been there I always stayed in hotels. This time I really want to take my hammock and camp. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that has trees that are good to hang. Trying to find a place that is not real expensive and where i could make a reservation so I know I have a spot when I get there.

First off, take my advice with a grain of salt as it's been quite a while since I have camped down there. That being said, I would think your best bet would be one of the campgrounds inside the park itself. I know there are some in West Yellowstone, but they are more geared to tent camping, meaning they are more wide open fields with trees around the outside. They are typically also geared towards RVs and tents.

The campgrounds inside the park are in more wooded areas typically, unless you try to stay at one of the bigger attractions. Even then I think you would have quite a few trees around to hang from, so I don't think that would be a problem. The amenities might not be quite as nice though.

Not sure if you are set on staying near West Yellowstone, or just somewhere relatively close, but I did stay in a campground in Colter Bay in Grand Teton last summer, and it was pretty nice. Lots of trees to hang from. And it's hard to beat waking up, looking out and seeing the Tetons right outside your campsite. It's maybe a half hour south of Yellowstone, so if you don't mind going a little out of the way, it's perfect.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    The Madison Campground is near West Yellowstone, just inside the park. It is highly wooded, but there is still no guarantee that any particular site is going to have trees properly spaced, etc.

With all campgrounds inside the park, it is heavily used throughout the summer. This translates to more restrictions and more heavily monitored. I would recommend you verify with the park that hanging from trees is an option at the major campgrounds.

There are also a number of FS campgrounds in the West Yellowstone area. Perhaps look at some of the campgrounds around Hebgen Lake. Less crowded, less restrictive, but still reasonable access to the park.

Hope this helps.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyHackle View Post
    I am trying to put a trip together to West Yellowstone the beginning of September. All of the other times I have been there I always stayed in hotels. This time I really want to take my hammock and camp. Does anyone know of any campgrounds that has trees that are good to hang. Trying to find a place that is not real expensive and where i could make a reservation so I know I have a spot when I get there.
    GH,
    I'll be out there fishing and backpacking (and hanging!) around that timeframe myself. Although I didn't stay there, I seem to recall plenty of trees at the Madison CG. And yeah, definitely check out the many NFS campgrounds in the area; they seem to be a bit less restrictive than YNP might be. The places I go are virtually deserted after Labor Day.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

tom miner cg is 18 miles north of ne entrance to yellowstone and 10 miles out a gravel road. wife and i hung there last year,pit toilets,water.nice hike from there to petrified forest. cost 7.00 per nite.spent a week there and mostly only ran into FS types trying to get away from crowds.all sites are along a brook that makes for very nice sleeping.18 miles north of northwest entrance and 10 miles west in tom miner valley.it is a forest service cg.highly recomend it

• + New Posts